1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poll - Best keychain MultiTool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by O_G, Aug 9, 2014.

?

What multitool for keychain do you prefer? + My review of

1. Leatherman Squirt PS4

55 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Victorinox Rambler/Manager

32 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Other

43 vote(s)
    33.1%
  1. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

Whats your favorite keychain multitool?

Here's my comparison between the Leatherman Squirt PS4 and the Victorinox Manager/Rambler.

[​IMG]

• Knife - Cant choose. The Squirt knife would win if it wasn't chisel ground. Tie.
    • Scissors - Cant choose. I like the Manager/Rambler shape and design, but the Squirt's spring mechanism is better. Both cut great overall! The Squirt's actually cut a bit better for me :O I've used the Vic scissors a bit more though, so maybe they're slightly duller. Tie.
    • Phillips - Manager/Rambler
    • Flathead(s)/file - Squirt
    • Bottle opener - both work for me the same, so tie.
    Bonus Leatherman Squirt PS4 features-
    • Pliers - one of the best tools in the picture
    • Pin - very useful for me. Nice package to get carried in too.
    • File/saw - could possibly saw small branches since it has the bottom teeth.
    Bonus Victorinox Manager/Rambler features-
    • Lightweight - you get a lighter package for sacrificing pliers. Not worth it to me.
    • Tweezers - meh. Dont need em outside the bathroom. LM pliers can do some tweezing in emergency.
    • Pen or Toothpick - Both are sweet, but I have the real deal of both everywhere I go... Home, car, restaurants, etc.
    Overall I choose the Squirt!!! The one and onlything I miss about the Manager/Rambler when I carry the Squirt is the quality Victorinox Phillips driver, and the 1 oz weight instead of the Squirts 2 oz.

[​IMG]

Last edited by MrOG, Aug 10, 2014
    sungame, Ippon and powerring like this.
  2. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I'll second the Squirt. Pliers are THE best tool in the picture, IMO. I use them far more than anything else. To me, it almost wouldn't matter how well-made the Vic is, since I'd hardly ever put it to use.

And for me, the file with bottom teeth might just be second-most useful, since nothing else can really duplicate that capability. I've used mine to sand down office items to make them fit together better. It's a lot more versatile than just a nail file.

Agreed about the Phillips driver, though.

What do you mean by "pin" on the Leatherman?

Last edited by Stutz, Aug 9, 2014
    MrOG likes this.
  3. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

The squirt is a little to heavy for a keychain and at that point I might as well carry something bigger. I find that a rambler almost disappears in keys.

jag-engr and MrOG like this.
  4. emrah

emrah Loaded Pockets

I carry a Classic on my keychain because it is light. But guess what? I also always carry a Squirt PS4 in my pocket. Always. And it gets used 20:1 more than the SAK.

Emrah

MrOG and Stutz like this.
  5. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I've found the 5th pocket in jeans a convenient place for a PS4.

MrOG likes this.
  6. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

This is a very crucial point. I listed it first on the bonus features because to me(and you :p), it's the most important thing it has on the Squirt.

Dutchie_27, Doraemon and Stutz like this.
  7. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Ha! That's crazy-cool.

8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

9. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

RAMBLER. END OF STORY.

10. Onico

Onico Loaded Pockets

Rambler/Manager.
    Because it's a true key chain tool and not a tool with a split ring.
    Most used items on a key chain tool for me is blade, bottle opener, scissors and Philips and thats where the Rambler shines.
    I find the idea of tiny pliers kind of like the idea of a tiny hammer. You can't really do any plier work.

MrOG and Muro like this.
  11. Muro

Muro Loaded Pockets

...I cannot find anywords to describe it better....although for me the Manager shines a little brighter (pen)....

MrOG likes this.
  12. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I have a Manager which is the Rambler w. pen. The pen is nice to have as a backup and I agree about pliers being too small (I have a Gerber Dime - similar to Squirt - and I find I go to full size pliers instead.

MrOG likes this.
  13. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I also almost always EDC a PS4 on my keychain. Right now I'm away on hols and to make sure it didn't get lost to airport security (we are doing a number of flights) it was purposely left at home in favour of a victorinox set packed in main bag (Spirit, pioneer solo and alox MiniChamp). All of which have been useful in the past couple of weeks. However PS4 is normally the most handy and those mini pliers are really good.

Now if Victorinox did a mini swisstool with pliers and same size as the pS4 / mini champ... I think that really would be the one.

In the meantime, I've been carrying that PS4 for many months and haven't found the pin... Glasses on when I get home.

MrOG likes this.
  14. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Please tell that to the wires that my PS4 stripped, bent into a j shape, and mounted to a switch when installing a vent fan in my bathroom yesterday ;)

Granted I would have rather had a full sized tool, but at the time I had forgotten my pliers in the attic so PS4 it was.

I do know folks who carry a PS4 on their keys as well, though for me even a classic is too bulky for my keys.

GRH, MrOG and survivorman like this.
  15. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Is the Manager's pen really pressurised?

I've found the Style PS' pliers, although not very strong, are adequate for picking up hot things.

MrOG likes this.
  16. Onico

Onico Loaded Pockets

I
    I respect your opinion but all of the above is easily done without a plier.
    I understand the carry of full size pliers if your daily chores include cutting of wire but fail to see the squirt cut more than a brass paperclip and is slightly to bulky for my taste on a key chain.

MrOG likes this.
  17. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

While I also respect your opinion, I find it hard to believe that anyone can easily manipulate 12 gauge solid copper wire into a small j shape to wrap around a switch screw without pliers. I have also cut solid 12 gauge wire with my squirt, when installing a new water heater. Some times you're just trying to get the job done. Don't knock it till you try it.

I agree I wouldn't put a squirt on my keys, but as I said I wouldn't even put a Victorinox Classic on my keys. My Squirt lives in my pocket. That said I do know folks who do keep a squirt on their keys in fact I'm married to one of them.

MrOG likes this.
  18. Onico

Onico Loaded Pockets

Actually victorinox has a wire bender implement that does this excellent.
    Not keeping the squirt on the key chain kind of disqualifies it as a key chain tool.

19. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

I'll give it a try the next time I'm messing with solid copper wire. So far I've only used the wire bender as a wire stripper. Though you still seem to miss the ability to cut the wire as well. Also according to your logic a Vic Classic / Rambler / manager are disqualified as keychain tools as well.

MrOG likes this.
  20. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

What's that model number or name?