1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket Tool X's Piranha Review(picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by DemskeetSkeet, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

:( (In heavy doom tolling voice) Noooo caaameraaaa. Too busy investing in other toys. ;) As to material, it doesn't really matter. As long as function remains the same I'm not complaining. Not collecting, just gonna use them. As to price, I guess I was thinking of the collector's prices I've seen trying to hunt one down. The Ti's are way higher priced compared to the steel versions.

2. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I actually prefer steel to ti. Not sure what it is. I think it's just that I like a little more heft. Although when I have the chance to score ti stuff, I do.

[img width=480 height=640]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/northernsox/IMG_8214.jpg[/img]

I've added a few since this pic, but G4 Prybaby, G3 Prybaby (regular, and then the thicker one), Ti Perfbaby, Ti Rainbow Swordbaby, Metwrench, Regular Swordbaby, Tactical Whistle, Superbug and Mini XL+

3. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

Excellent review. Thanks!

4. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

nbmaine2007, you dog of a Nasrany (Tarzan ref.), that did it for me. Ordered the metwrench from Moore Cutlery as well. Metric and SAE, why not. Did the same with the Piranhas. :winkwink:

5. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

I got a reply back from Justin, after a few hours, regarding shipping to Thailand.
    Now my country is listed !
    I'm asking a few buddies of mine to see if they want another handy tool.

Talk about fast service !

Way to go.

6. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

That's great to hear!

I have been trying out the nail puller and it's not all that great. The nail head has to be above the thickness of the tool which is not the case most of the time.

It would have been nice if that skinniest part of the nail puller beveled downwards toward the opening for the nail head. That way you could get the nail head from pretty much any height out of a wall or piece of wood.

7. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

just discovered it! looks cool!
    how does it ride on a keychain? (karabiner on the belt) isi it too big?
    Maxx

8. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Let me throw in a few words about titanium versus steel...

Titanium alloys are stronger than steel by weight. That statement is true, but can be misleading in several ways. First, titanium is not stronger than steel by volume. Titanium is much lighter, but a given volume is not as strong as the same volume of steel.

In addition, titanium alloys cannot be hardened to the same level as steel. The best titanium blades score in the low 50's on the Rockwell hardness scale. Average steel blades beat that by five points and the high-end steel alloys can beat it by more than ten. Hardness is mostly important for edge-holding, but it also affects how easily a the surface gets scratched up from normal wear. That is why titanium tools look more scuffed up than the steel ones.

The other useful property of titanium is that it is not affected by corrosion, while nearly all steels are. For tools that ride in a pocket all the time that can be important.

--Bob Q

9. DemskeetSkeet

Thanks for that wonderfall information!

10. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Yes bquinlan thank you. Now I remember that my nephews old ti bladed dive knife was not very practical. Wouldn't cut. The volume and weight issue explains everything.

11. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I carry mine loose in my pocket, which is my preferred method. It would be quite a beast to have on your keychain in my opinion. But then again, I've seen keychains around this site with much more on them, so it may work for some.

I prefer my keychains light. One has a truck key, door-unlock/start, and Atwood Superbug. The other has the truck key, door-unlock/starter, house key and Atwood Brewdriver.

12. DemskeetSkeet

I agree!

Lighter the better and these tools are heavy for a keychain IMHO.

I carry both of mine in my back left pocket. Kind of balances when I sit down because my wallet is in the right back pocket.

13. macguyver

macguyver Loaded Pockets

nice looking tool in a very small package. I wonder how it would really perform in everyday use. I'm also not too fond of 154 cm used in this application. Its a great knife steel, but very brittle from my experience.

14. Frequency

Frequency Empty Pockets

I received mine today (SAE version, didn't order the metric one). Very nice and stout tool. Now to put it to use... :evilgrin:

15. lumbo007

lumbo007 Loaded Pockets

I have the metric one but haven't had a chance to use it yet... I do feel a compulsion to put some glow epoxy or a tritium insert in it for no good reason.

16. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I got to use mine recently, when my crashed her bike, trying avoid hitting a pedestrian who suddenly jumped right in front of her. Luckily, she was unharmed (thanks to thick winter clothing and loads of snow), but a few things on the bike got twisted out of whack. I managed to fix it with the Piranha and my Leatherman. Yeah, I know, LM is less than ideal for holding bolts and nuts, but I only had one Piranha and needed to hold on to the other end with something.

Verdict: it works. It's wide, though, and I noticed that there are some nuts and bolts on the bike that I couldn't have reached with it.

17. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

If you do we want to see pics!

18. DemskeetSkeet

Updates added to original post at the top. Carry method and use method.

I will be posting pictures of a top notch Piranha sometime this week. No promises on what day it'll be but it'll be "Golden."

19. thetonyclifton

thetonyclifton Empty Pockets

great review thanks - useful

20. thetonyclifton

thetonyclifton Empty Pockets

oh and thanks for all the pics top