1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket Tool X's Piranha Review(picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by DemskeetSkeet, Feb 3, 2010.

1. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Update as of April 18th:
    Both standard and metric piranha's ride in my back left pocket everyday. I have been using it on the job everyday(construction); whether taking trim down around windows, base board, scraping paint, etc. I have been mainly using the wrenches to change, replace, or tighten blades on miter boxes, table saws, circular saws, etc. Still looks like that rough textured finish from the first runs(which is still my favorite over the smooth finish introduced later on). The steel is so hard the bolts lose metal before it even scratches the tool! I even hammer the open wrench ends to get the scraper behind trim to take it down.

Carry Update:

Just wanted to let everyone in on a little secret: I was asked to test out a simply designed yet rugged carry method for Pocket Tool X's Piranha: Nylon material(not sure the exact kind, maybe they can chime in), a great quality button that'll snap every time. I have yet to have it unsnap except for when I wanted it to. The Piranha fits very well inside of the small pouch and the stitching is top notch!!!
    Here are some photos(the final product will not have the pocket/belt clip, instead it'll have velcro and a Molle clip):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last picture here is my favorite. The tool will stay inside the nylon pouch upside down and shaking unless you push on the sides of the nylon. Once you push on the sides of the nylon it'll slip out with no problem. The neoprene bit holder helps to keep the tool inside the pouch as well.
    [​IMG]

When it comes to high quality pocket tools there is only one name that comes to mind: Peter Atwood. I've accumulated my fair share of Atwoods over the past couple of years either through his blog(if you're lucky) or on the secondary market through eBay or various forums. Needless to say, I'm sure a lot of you have missed out on Atwoods as much as I have; Wingnut and Superbug to name a couple I sadly missed. I am glad to say that their is an easier way to get a high quality pocket tool and that's through Pocket Tool X designed and engineered by MK7 Designs. I'm not saying move over Mr. Atwood but it's nice to see another company in the field(I feel the more high quality tools to choose from, the better).

The first time I saw the tool was on Attack of the Show on G4TV(Link to video). I'm sure a lot of you tune into the show, but it was featured in the "Last Minute Stocking Stuffers." The tool has also been featured on WIRED Magazine's Blog. I decided to finally go fishing for the little tool once MK7 Designs became a member at EDCForums. For every sale through the banners(Just above the Multi-Tool threads and sometimes in the top right corner) at EDCForums, an unspecified amount of the money goes back to the community at EDCF(Thanks to Pocket Tool X and JonSidneyB!!).

The first Piranha burst into the market with CPM S30V with SAE wrench sizes but due to the lack of availability of the steel they had to switch to 154CM(Which is comparable to CPM S30V). Another variation of the Piranha is available now but with Metric wrench sizes.

Each tool came wonderfully presented in a small black envelope, description card, and lanyard attached to the closed wenches(I took off my lanyards, nothing fancy, I've just never been a fan of lanyards).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Features that come with the tool are as follows(as listed on PocketToolX):

154CM Stainless Steel 0.150" Thick (Overall Length: 3.875")
    Heat-treated to 58-60 HRC
    Smooth stone-washed finish
    Double-ended driver bit (P2, #8)
    Open and box Wrenches
    Bottle opener, nail puller, scraper and pry ends

My thoughts on the features thus far:

I have no problem believing that this tool is hardened to 58-60 HRC, I've used mine on rusted bolts, scraped paint off of windows and wood, yet the tool still retains it's original look and finish:
    [​IMG]

I don't see this as a problem because I'm into antique tools but neither of mine came with a "completely smooth" stone-washed finish(Believe me, they came stone-washed). It's hard to describe, it's smooth to the touch but came with some pits or grooves in the steel that I like to call "character." Here are a few pictures of my tools finishes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a finish on my Atwood Mini Prybaby. Same material, it also has some pitting:
    [​IMG]

The double ended bit driver is of highest quality. I have yet to damage or scrape any part of the p2 or #8 bit ends(MK7 Designs did not cut costs by going to a cheap-o quality bit. Bravo MK7!!):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bit is held in the middle of the tool by neoprene. I was skeptical at first that the material wouldn't hold up going in and out of my back pocket everyday but it has so far. I also thought that the neoprene would snag or stick to my clothing but that isn't the case either(doesn't collect dust or lint, another plus!):
    [​IMG]

I'm sure a lot of individuals have a problem removing/replacing the bit inside it's neoprene. Here is my suggestion: I found the easiest way to take the bit out is to angle it as much as you can and then pull on the philips head:
    [​IMG]

Using the bit driver is easier and functional. There isn't the fancy Atwood O-ring retention system but it'll do:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To put it back in; angle the philips end in first, then pinch the flat head(1st picture) and push(2nd picture). If that doesn't make the bit go in perfectly then use a finger or thumb nail on the flat head the rest of the way:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By far my favorite feature of the Piranha is the open and closed(box) wrenches similar to some Atwoods. I've used the open wrenches a lot to get into tighter spaces where I couldn't get the closed wrenches around the nut or bolt(I'm glad this tool features both open and closed wrenches!).
    The Piranha features the following SAE wrench sizes: 9/16, 1/2, 7/16, 3/8, 5/16, 1/4"
    The metric Piranha features: 6, 8, 10, 13, 15mm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My next favorite feature is the scraper. The wonderful angle and thin profiled edge works great for removing paint off of surfaces such as windows and wood. The scraper isn't "sharp" but it's just thin and hard enough to work wonders without scratching the glass or removing the wood with the paint. I also used the scraper to remove old label residue off of stainless steel appliances at work.
    [​IMG]

The one thing this tool is lacking is a good prybar feature. The tool comes equipped with a nail puller but in order for it to work, the nail head must be above the thickness of the piranha. The nail head must also be smaller than the cut-out on the tool as well. Once the head of the nail is inserted into the groove, you slide the tool up until the nail won't go anything farther and pry! Not as good as a V-Notch pry bar but it still gets the job done:
    [​IMG]

The ends of the open wrenches could be used but I haven't been able to get good enough leverage to pull nails. They do make great staple removers though! The smaller pry tip was also used to help pop the pins on my Smith & Wesson M&P15-22:
    [​IMG]

Last but not least.....the bottle opener! What can I say, this is almost a must have feature on any pocket tool on the market. I am all out of beverages right now but I assure you mine works:
    [​IMG]

There is one small difference between the Metric and Standard Piranha's and it's a small cut out to help identify which tool is which:
    Standard:
    [​IMG]

Metric:
    [​IMG]

Comparison shot of the Piranha's next to an Atwood Ti G3:
    [​IMG]

My Piranha's took only a couple of weeks to arrive after I placed my order. You can also email MK7 designs for an update but they are usually pretty accurate with estimated delivery time.

If you are in the market for a wonderful well made pocket tool then this is the one for you. The Piranha brings together the best features you could ask for in a small package: wrenches, bit driver, scraper, and bottle opener. But where this tool really shines is the price tag of $49 + shipping!! I don't believe anyone would have guessed that price for premium stainless steel with all of the features this tool offers.

My final thought has to be on customer service:
    You can sign up for an update/newsletter for new products at PocketToolX along with an update when your order ships. I've emailed MK7 Designs a few times with suggestions/questions and they respond in a timely manner. I have only heard of one "defective" Piranha and that goes back to the finish(LINK)

Sly likes this.
  2. DemskeetSkeet

I know it's a long one but it did take a couple of hours to piece together.

I would like some feedback / corrections that could be made.

I was asked to do a review for Multitool.org so I figured I would post it at EDCF as well.

I fixed the pictures, some of them weren't showing up completely.

Again, feedback please, spelling errors, bad pictures, etc.

I didn't have a camera that was good enough to take pictures so most of these pictures were taken with an Iphone 3g with a Triplet 10x-21mm magnifying glass.

Thank you!

Take care
    -Matt

Sly likes this.
  3. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

Good review!

4. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

Great review! I was wondering if the bottle opener is a one or two attempt to remove the cap?

5. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

It's a one opener...I find the opener to be as good if not better than most dedicated bottle openers. .

Great review, Matt.

6. Gustuvi

Gustuvi Empty Pockets

I want one !!!!!!!!!!!

no no Darling I neeeeeeeeeeed One !!!!! :woohoo:

7. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Just ordered a standard one! Thanks for the excellent review!

8. DemskeetSkeet

Thank you very much.

As nbmaine stated it's one popper.

Thanks for clearing that up nbmaine, I think I'll edit that in there. I also forgot to do a small review on ergonomics. This tool has a lot of wonderful notches around the outer edge of the tool for some grip.

I believe it's worth it. :D

Be sure to post some pictures of it! Thank you for the compliment.

9. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

:thumbsup: :drool:

Awesome review Matt! Now I need one!

10. DemskeetSkeet

Thanks JP!

11. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

Isn't that weird-shaped hole near the small prytip supposed to be a nail puller? If so, have you tried it?

12. DemskeetSkeet

Oh, now that you mention it.......I thought that was to reduce weight!!! Are you talking about the cutout to the left of PocketToolX stamp?

If you are talking about the small hole towards the top, it's too small.

13. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the tapered cut-out to the left of the stamp is the nail puller.

14. DemskeetSkeet

:brickwall:

15. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

I ordered both Piranhas and they were delivered in 3 days. :D I really like everything about these hunks of shaped metal. Great review. But my real reason for posting is to thank you Demskeetskeet. I FINALLY :woohoo: got an Atwood G3 Prybaby from Moore Cutlery due to your headsup on the "available Atwood tools" thread just the other day. I'd been pining away for a loooong time. Every time in the past when the $$ was available, the Atwood wasn't. And vice versa. So thanks buddy!

16. DemskeetSkeet

your welcome I love the g3 as well as the piranha's. The g3 is extremely light because it titanium so sometimes I don't feel like carrying it because I might lose it. Where as the piranha's are heavy and more noticable in the pocket.

17. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Dem(X2)skeet, the one I ordered was S30V. Does Atwood make Ti versions anymore? Not sure if I want an Atwood Ti piece. Price issue. Do you use yours or just keep it? If used, how does Ti compare to premium steels? Ordered the Ti Skeleton Key V2 from TAD Gear last week to see what the fuss was all about. TAD Gear straight out says Ti is softer than steel so treat with care and tender loving kindness LOL.

18. DemskeetSkeet

All I have heard about Ti from the top manufactures of Ti merchandise is that it's twice as hard as steel. I would say that TAD Gear doesn't get them heat treated properly. I have never had any issues with my Ti G3.

The price of my Ti Atwood was around $90 or $95 if I remember right and that was directly through Peter. How much did that S30V set ya back from Moorecutlery? Around the same price wasn't it? :p

Take care
    -Matt

19. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

YES !@#$%&*! :lolhammer: So Ti also depends on heat treatment for hardness. Now I REALLY REALLY wish I'd gotten a Ti. Curses, foiled again! :lolhammer:

20. DemskeetSkeet

I'm no Ti expert, I was just assuming it had to be heat treated. Don't take my word on that.

Nobody knows if their will be more Ti g3's including Peter.

I think you'll be satisfied with the S30V. I like the heavier steel than the light weight Ti because sometimes I don't even realize it's in my pocket(bad because you're constantly checking to see if you still have it).

Be sure to post pictures of it when you receive it over in the Atwood threads.

Take care
    -Matt