1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket Squares or bandanas?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by CAUTION, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a bandanna for a little over four years, now. Tons of uses, although I never use it to blow my nose. Gross. Cheapo Walmart dark blue and red ones for me, and a green one I picked up from REI a couple years ago when I had some money left on a gift card.

2. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

There's always a black merino wool buff and a bright green bandana in my EDC bag. If I'm out with my wife there's a green merino buff and a UV buff, though I'm usually the one who needs the UV buff.:)

3. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I usually carry kleenex, a napkin, or a paper towel around for snot-related functions. A paper towel is also a great toilet paper substitute for emergency situations, as it won't disintegrate and leave you with nasty hands (I consider some kind of emergency TP a must when traveling).

As far as bandannas or pocket squares go, I sometimes use my old army pocket handkerchiefs as a small placemat to lay out pocket gear or whatnot. I'll probably be getting some larger bandanna sized ones in the near future, but I'm waiting to do a bulk purchase online for multiple colors.

My main reason for doing so, is that I want solid-color bandannas. I hate paisley and other prints, especially the Harley Davidson crap that's so common on bandannas. I like solid, light-colored bandannas because you can see small parts like screws or springs without having them get lost in the pattern.

4. MarkNM
    • In Omnia Paratus

MarkNM Loaded Pockets

I don't think I've ever seen solid. Please share if/when you do!

ALEA IACTA EST

5. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

I carry a bandana cut in half in my left front pocket. Full size is too big. Use it to wipe my nose, kids faces and to stop bleeding when my wife cuts the tip off her finger making pesto.

6. Foster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

I carry a handkerchief in my back pocket. Some folks think it's gross, but it beats the hell out of the good old 'farmer blow'.

themadplumbarian likes this.
  7. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I have never been able to find them at the store, but they're not difficult to find online.

8. aaronu

aaronu Loaded Pockets

I like the Ex Officio ones treated with Permethrin bug repellant. Good for up to 70 washings.

Here's a tip: Insect Shield makes them for Ex Officio. Insect Shield has more colors available and theirs can be found at your friendly neighborhood sporting goods national chain location. Cheaper, too.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry two - a bandanna in my back left pocket for casual use and a handkerchief in my back right for bodily fluids: snot, mostly.

Ramrod87 likes this.
  10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looking for solid colors: you can also check out surplus stores - I found a large in OD green that way. The mass-produced paisley patterns are likely to be the most common, followed closely by themed patterns.

Can anyone recommend a source for "made in the USA" bandanas? The best one I've found so far is REI. :confused:

11. Ramrod87

Ramrod87 Loaded Pockets

I too edc a simple white cotton handkerchief in my left rear pocket. But when hiking or camping its a bandana and at least one buff.

12. zatoichi

zatoichi Loaded Pockets

For me it is a bandana. I usually have two in my back pockets. It seems more practical for me.

13. RickBlane

RickBlane Banned

14. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

I carry a bandana in my back left pocket. I haven't had to use it since last summer. But, I've been looking at these Buffs and think they may be a good choice for camping this summer. Where is the best place to find a buff? I don't want to spend a lot on one. Are there any specific companies you'd all recommend?

Thanks!

15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Actual "Buffs" run about $20. I've never seen them for less, although you might luck into one on sale.

You can probably find similar neck-gaiter products that are, in essence, the same thing but with a different brand name. The prices will likely run you about the same.

16. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

With my allergies my, uh, output can be quite, erm, extensive shall we say. I couldn't stand carrying a soaked handkerchief around so I keep several paper towels with me so I can dispose of them several times a day. But I do have a few bandanas for other things.

17. grub

grub Loaded Pockets

Bandana, left rear pocket. Sooo many uses especially if you have young kids

-grub

18. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

The REI ones are good. I have about 16 and they all soften up quick.

19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm hoping to find solid patterns and different sizes.

I found a supplier on Ebay that looks good - I think that's where I'll end up shopping.

20. grids7

grids7 Loaded Pockets

Handkerchief in each front pocket, just added a bandana in rear left pocket, and one folded into an open-top pocket for putting right-front pocket items into - seems to keep those items in place better than just riding nekkid in the pocket.