1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket PC/PDA Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Dave568, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Dave568

Dave568 BST/Marketplace ban

I'm looking to buy my first Pocket PC/PDA, but I have no idea where to even begin. I'm looking for a model that will allow me to access the internet for web browsing and e-mail through a wireless access point. I'd also like to have the ability to read, edit, and save Word documents (or at least .txt or .rtf documents). I'd like to be able to transfer files to and from it via a USB flash drive, so a USB port is a must. I'd also like to use it to make my schedule (this is probably pretty standard on all PDAs, right?) and as an address book. I don't need GPS, since I already have a standalone GPS unit, and I don't need it to double as a cell phone - in fact I'd prefer if it didn't. I've noticed some have the ability to take pictures and record audio - these would be nice features as well, but not completely necessary. Those would be the main features I am looking for, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend some units that might meet my needs. I am planning on heading down to the local Best Buy around here and asking a salesperson about some of their Pocket PCs, but I'd much rather receive advice from some forum members who know what they are talking about instead of a Best Buy worker.

Thanks for any help.

2. Heddin4DuhHills

Heddin4DuhHills Empty Pockets

Hi, I am new here too, and I would recommend waiting for the Apple iPhone coming out in late May/early June. I do believe it will have all of those things, with the only possible exception being the Word files.

Dave

3. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Heddin4DuhHills, [​IMG] to EDCF.

I'm semi looking too but want something with Mobile 5 OS so I can stop worrying about the blasted back up battery. I like the Dell that I have but it's 4 years old and it's time for an upgrade.

-LT

4. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

The Palm T|X has a MSRP of $299. It features wifi and bluetooth, the ability to create and edit Word and Excel files, and it can view PowerPoint (but not edit). It does not have a camera but it can display pictures if they are loaded on to the device in its memory or via a SD card. The T|X can also record audio much like a tape recorder - though with better quality. It has some other features available such as playing music. Like all PDAs it has your standard PIM functions: Calendar, Phone Book, To Do List, and Memo pad.

I personally prefer a Palm OS since it there are a lot more upgrades, tweaks, and mods out there for it. A decent percentage of them are free, too. I currently use a Sony Clie NX80 which is sadly no longer made but it has a majority of the things you desire though it cannot access the internet without buying a spare wifi card. It is also bulkier because it is an older model with a keyboard. Anyway, I am sure a lot of people will direct you to the Palm T|X because of its features. Best of luck.

5. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

The TX can NOT record audio!

6. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I can't thnk of any PDA with a USB port. But that's easily remedied. Use an SD or micro SD card in the PDA. There are USB memory stick shaped card readers so you can easily move data from the SD card to any PC.

link to card

There is also an SD card with a built in USB connector as shown here.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05010606sandisksdflip.asp

Many of the Palms would work for you. On the Pocket PC side, the Dell Axim X51v is generally considered the top dog. I like mine and the full VGA screen is sweet. It has the wireless networking built in as well as the Word/Excel compatible software bundled with the PDA.

link shortened - :gl:

7. redfish_md

redfish_md Empty Pockets

I would also look in to a Treo. I'm using a Treo 680 and I also have a Palm TX. Palm i an aging platform and I really think they'll have to come out with soemthing new in the next very few months. I've had no problems with either of my devices and do like them very much. I have had two Pocket PC's and never really liked either. It just took too many clicks to get to anything. I would also second the iPhone as it will also be out pretty soon and may blow all the others away.

8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I have always used a Palm devices, and always will.

9. SouthpawMcGuyver

SouthpawMcGuyver Empty Pockets

Check out the Garmin iQue M5 PDA/GPS unit. They discontinued it, but many are readily available on Ebay. I bought mine with a 2 GB memory card for about $350 including shipping.
    It has all the features you mentioned- word, excel, internet explorer, and can be synched with your contacts from outlook. It has bluetooth, and sits in a cradle that connects to your PC thru USB.
    The GPS function is awesome. It sits in a cradle in your car powered by the lighter, which keeps it charged and provides the speaker and volume control for the voice guided directions. But, if you want to take it with you in a friends car, it is fully portable. If you want to be the navigator, you can input the location you want to go, and it will guide you with voice and on screen with turn by turn directions thru its' internal speaker. Truly portable. It is also easily concealed under a seat, or in a glove compartment or console instead of sitting on the dash daring crooks to break your window. Or, you could just take it with you in your pocket!

It works basically like any other dedicated GPS unit and gives you turn by turn directions. It also has a large database of points of interest like parks, restaurants, gas stations, atm's, everything. It even has many other local businesses for a multitude of items. It's almost a yellow pages. The other week, my uncle asked me if there were any stamp collecting stores nearby, and just for the hell of it, I did a search on my pda and one came up! It gave the store name, address, phone #, and told me how far away it was from my present location and showed me where it was on the map! The other night I was out and about and wanted to eat at a great mexican place I hadn't been to for years and looked it up and it gave me directions right to the restaurant!

It is based on the windows mobile/pda version, and it looks and acts very much like you'd expect a windows pc to act. It has games, a media player that plays mp3's and videos, instant messenging, calculator, alarms, calendar with appointments and reminders, everything! It has options for input of information like a mini touch keyboard, handwriting recognition etc. it also has a voice memo function with a dedicated record button that makes taking quick reminder memo's easy.

I highly recommend this unit for EDC because it solves many issues. It's your PDA, GPS, and with a sdio card can do wifi anywhere and browse the web, instant message, email, etc. This thing is awesome
    and I carry it almost everywhere.

Feel free to ask me any questions about it. I love this thing.
    ;D

10. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I'm sorry, I was lead to believe that it could from a variety of reviews. Additionally, my friend is able to record with it hence why I thought it was a standard feature.

11. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I have Dell Axim - nice setup.

12. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Wait for the Apple iPhone. In rev 2 it'll probably do your laundry and pick up your kids at the day-care.

This is NOT satire. :evilgrin:

13. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

Palm LifeDrive will do all you ask!
    4GB memory
    Voice recorder
    Wi Fi
    Blue Tooth
    Can add a memory card for untold storage

The LD has got some bad press when it first came out, people either loved it or hated it. I've had mine almost year and the only problem I've had is the email program, which to me is no big deal. I don't use it for email anyway, though its a nice feature. I've read as well there are better email programs on the market.
    Palm quit making the LD for some reason and they can be had for quite cheap on ebay right now. I bought mine off of a friend who switched to a Dell Axim, for $200.00.
    checkout www.palmgear.com for programs and tons of free stuff as well!