1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket Notebooks - Let's See 'Em! :)

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by mooshi, May 26, 2013.

1. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Old diy Gfeller leather cover over a Doan pocket notebook.

nikao, Dubbs, BrownSugar11 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

If you are looking at used then FF did make a Guildford Extra Slim in mini size, Google the "filowiki" site for details but it must be about the smallest Filofax binder ever sold.

Dave.

tfbraden and batteur like this.
  3. Rich73

Rich73 Loaded Pockets

Not sure if it's front-pocket carry-able to be honest Batteur. Mine slides very neeatly into the back pocket of my jeans though, which should give a fair indication of size. I can't remember what I paid but I think 45 Euros is a decent price given that (if it's in good condition as the seller claims) it will last you for many years. Other than a bit of flattening round the edges mine shows no sign of wear or damage at all. I think I got it some time around 2009. And I have carried it on me every day since then.

tfbraden and batteur like this.
  4. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the answer. I bought it (was a “buy now” item on eBay). Let’s see when it arrives. :)
    Now thinking about what inserts I want, which exist, and what I can make myself. I have InDesign and a (cheap) paper cutting machine available, but I’m not sure about how to make the required holes. Perhaps I can figure out how to use a standard two-hole puncher for five holes in the right distances. They sell a five-hole mini puncher, but it’s ~40€.

tfbraden and Rich73 like this.
  5. Rich73

Rich73 Loaded Pockets

I buy the Filofax fold-out calendar each year, and I have a couple of maps. There is a cheaper brand of notebook (can't remember the name) that a local stationers sell which makes pages that also fit these. I also have a couple of aide-memoir pages that I put together myself. I'm so used to mine now that I'd be lost without it...! I even have a little LaCie key-size hard drive attached to it that lives inside the front cover - I don't notice it's there but it often comes in handy.

batteur and tfbraden like this.
  6. Nostromo77

Nostromo77 Loaded Pockets

7. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

If this is a pocket size Filofax it will be a six ring not five so need six holes.
    Re inserts to print yourself, suggest you check the many files available at the philofaxy site first (no charge to dl them), they have info on punches for these binders as well (suggest stay away from the ones Filofax themselves sell).
    It is quite possible to print on pocket size Filofax (or other brand) paper directly using a cheap laser printer so no need to cut down from a larger sheet & punch.

Dave.

batteur likes this.
  8. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I haven’t thought of printing on blank filofax paper, and I have a laser printer. I need to check if the paper can be used or is too small, since according to the seller’s pics it’s Mini size (= 5 hole).
    This would spare me the cost of the puncher. :) But on the long run, if I really use it much (don’t know yet) I could punch other paper than pre-punched, so either cheaper paper or some special stuff like custom foldouts. :rolleyes: I’ll probably start with printing on prepunched.

9. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

For most printers mini paper is too small to feed through... but there is a work around. I have found if you line up the mini paper on a larger piece of thick paper (e.g. a 3x5 index card) and feed that it will go through OK. Sometimes the print will be slightly off centre or skewed but should still be usable. The static in the printer seems to help holding the two pieces together. If the printer has a door at the back that allows the paper to go straight through use that. Obviously you'll need to select manual feed in the printer setup, also select thick paper in the media options or the toner won't fully fuse and your printing will rub off. This technique also gets around the problem of the paper wrinkling in the printer which lets you print very thin paper.
    I experimented my way through quite a bit of paper before stumbling on this method, hope it is of some use. It does work, pic shows custom 1 year calendar based on a template from philofaxy resized down to mini size (type is 4pt):
    [​IMG]
    Pen is Cult Pens fountain pen and mini pencil (for pencilling in appointments) is a cheap Zebra one, all fits in the mini FF easily.

Dave.

nikao, tfbraden, Rich73 and 1 other person like this.
  10. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

kkay, nikao, GatorMedic and 3 others like this.
  11. Texasshipagent

Texasshipagent Loaded Pockets

Odin Leathergoods here in Texas makes great field noted/moleskine covers. Old GI issue Skillcraft makes for great EDC pen, it's what they were designed for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nikao, thatotherguy, Sparky_D and 3 others like this.
  12. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikao, Dubbs and TreetopFlyer like this.
  13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Well done, I like that, the hidden pocket is a great idea, I have a Grasshopper too, for it's size it cuts really well and the fine tip is good for removing splinters.

14. kplong02

kplong02 Loaded Pockets

15. kplong02

kplong02 Loaded Pockets

nikao, Serena, Replete and 3 others like this.
  16. Appleman

Appleman Loaded Pockets

This is a bit larger than pocket size but I found an old brass lock and really liked the look of it so here it is.

[​IMG]

nikao, wilburdee, Bowman1911 and 3 others like this.
  17. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I know ya'll have seen this notebook before, but I recently started carrying this thing religiously. I made this notebook mostly just as a leather project but recently I have noticed I use it everyday now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kkay, nikao, Replete and 1 other person like this.
  18. GearHunter

GearHunter Loaded Pockets

19. PiperCub49

PiperCub49 Loaded Pockets

The Washington Journal wrote an article with some pretty neat facts about these pens. It's titled "Low-tech Skilcraft pens endure in a high-tech world". The second page of the article has all the cool info about them. It seems that they should be the ultimate EDC pen! Unfortunately for me, I carry my pens deep in my pocket, not on my flight suit, so the clicky feature makes it a no-go for everyday carry. Here in a couple years I'll carry them in my flight suit!

nikao and No Agenda like this.
  20. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Custom for standard 3X5 notepads -- made out of stingray/cowhide

Last edited by Sheepdog149, Jun 4, 2015
    kkay, Dubbs, nikao and 5 others like this.