1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket Notebooks - Let's See 'Em! :)

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by mooshi, May 26, 2013.

1. W-D

W-D Loaded Pockets

[​IMG] old one and the one I got today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Tenfooterpipi

Tenfooterpipi Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My Midori Traveler's Notebook Passport Size. Never leave home without it.

nikao and Jerry L like this.
  3. 403Jeeping

403Jeeping Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My cheap 5 cent hard cover note pad and Fisher Space Pen. Since joining this site and viewing all the threads this forum has to offer I've expanded my EDC into pens and notebooks. Now im searching this section of the forums to gain some ideas & direction for a more permanent notebook/Journal to enhance my EDC.

Thanks for all the posts endless possibilities amd ideas!

nikao, Sachsen and Jerry L like this.
  4. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

<<< Even when the world is at peace, a gentleman always keeps a blade at his side.
    -The Strategies of Wu. >>>
    <<< Not all that wander are lost.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien >>>>

Smulax, Firepoint, nikao and 3 others like this.
  5. X-Roop

X-Roop Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

nikao and tdb like this.
  6. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

Skip all the cheap steps and go to the Midori Traveler's Notebook - Passport Size. For about $100 you'll never need to buy another pocket notebook except for some refills once in awhile. Your notebook will become your wallet, journal, planner, note taker, expense tracker, and all kinds of other stuff you never thought you knew you needed or couldn't live without.

nikao, Tenfooterpipi and 403Jeeping like this.
  7. 403Jeeping

Been kicking around that idea..... something to toss into my edc Bag that is a permanent solution to my note book needs.

nikao likes this.
  8. slide13

slide13 Loaded Pockets

Midori is nice, but there are some great options that are less expensive out there. I think the best setup, at least for me, is a simple notebook cover from Davis Leatherworks (I modified mine to use Midori style elastic cords rather than the rubber band system he has, but his leather is great and his prices are excellent). Add in a couple Field Notes notebooks (or if you're a fountain pen person, Clairefontaine makes the same size), and make yourself a pocket folder from a common file folder (it's super easy, I've made a bunch recently). If you really want the plastic pouch you can use the Midori one, personally I don't like the plastic and prefer to keep mine simple with paper and leather. Overall you can put this together with a couple books and a file folder for about $35 I'd guess.

Currently I'm using a cover I made myself that is similar to the Davis Leatherworks ones but with elastic run like Midori and a closure elastic mounted to the spine instead of the back.

I have Midori notebooks, in both regular and PP sizes, and they are nice but they are pretty expensive for what they are and the closure elastic on the back is a big negative to me (creates a bump you have to write over). Spine mounted closure elastic and a huge improvement in my experience.

Here is the cover I made for myself out of Horween Dublin tan leather.

[​IMG]

9. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

All good points and I like your DIY style. I've also made my own folders and modified my Midori. It isn't all that hard to poke a hole in the spine to move the elastic closure over.

That being said the officially made Midori branded products are more expensive than doing it yourself, but their fit/finish/quality is top notch. After spending my $100 I haven't once felt like I have over paid as I have with other EDC gear I have bought over the years.

nikao likes this.
  10. MOD-u-LAR

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

I second that emotion. The Midori is worth every cent. Sure you could cobble together something close but why when like the man said for 100$ your notebook worries are over for the rest of your days except buying a refill here and there. Take the plunge. You won't regret it.

nikao and 403Jeeping like this.
  11. slide13

slide13 Loaded Pockets

To each their own I guess.

I have barely used my PP size Midori because I just prefer the Field Notes size and my Davis or self-made covers and I actually find it rather expensive for what you get. I'll probably sell my passport version eventually even. I have thought about moving the elastic to the spine but then there is the hole in the back which just seems weird. I really wonder what their justification is for putting the elastic back there to begin with. I also wish they had PP size notebooks with MD paper in graph pattern. The MD paper is definitely better than the other PP notebooks but it only comes in blank for PP size.

I like my full size Midori better, it's too big to carry around all the time but it's my desk notebook where I keep track of certain things like fitness/diet, budget, etc. Stuff I don't need with me all day but really just need to record at the end of a day or end of a week or month. The format works really well for those tasks. Still don't like the back elastic, but my weekly journal has the main entry page on the left side so I don't notice it as much. It also has MD paper in all the standard notebooks which is great paper.

jaxdar, nikao and 403Jeeping like this.
  12. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kkay, nikao, GatorMedic and 5 others like this.
  13. robo

robo Loaded Pockets

14. slide13

slide13 Loaded Pockets

Is that indigo transfer from denim causing that coloration on the front?

nikao likes this.
  15. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I have never been anywhere near that notebook. ;)

ATB,
    Sam

thatotherguy, nikao, Crew and 3 others like this.
  16. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

Here is the one I use at work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kkay, nikao, Jerry L and 1 other person like this.
  17. 403Jeeping

Interesting cover, Who makes this?

nikao likes this.
  18. Gwac110
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gwac110 EDC Junkie!!!

Looks like the Maxpedition 3x5

nikao and 403Jeeping like this.
  19. Arjosy

Arjosy Loaded Pockets

I agree. Your handwriting is unbelievable. Mine looks like someone spilled ink on the page.

20. 403Jeeping

Looks like a nice durable notebook cover! Im still debating my Next move concerning a notebook.

Want something durable, but Im undecided as to leather or not.... but a cover like that would fit in perfect with my edc bag and tac pouches I use.

Love following this forum lots of options always being posted so ill take my time. Currently journing In a cheap hard cover dollar store book for the time being

nikao and Gwac110 like this.