1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket Notebooks - Let's See 'Em! :)

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by mooshi, May 26, 2013.

1. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

They closed our b&n down.

2. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

3. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I was just in B&N on Friday and actually picked one of those up to buy. I wound up putting it back because I had a whole bunch of other stuff I needed (had to subject it to the "do I really need this right now?" test). Part of my reasoning was I wasn't sure how it would do with certain inks, and I didn't figure they wanted me test driving one in the store with my FP. Thanks to you now I know! I guess I'll be picking one up next week.

Good job!

WolvesGoHowl, Froley and Sachsen like this.
  4. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

These notebooks are available on their website. Luckily we still have two stores here in Tulsa, and they always seem to stay quite busy.

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

(AIFF)

PointSpecial likes this.
  6. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Ummmm...not to be critical or anything, but I think that's Fisher "Cap-o-matic", isn't it? :D

[​IMG]

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

Oops.

8. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

i'm not sure how b&n stays open around here. they have number of b&n around this area, and their prices are much higher than the amazon or their own online store, and have to pay tax. most people that i know will go to b&n to drink coffee but don't buy things from there.

9. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

bullet08,

I agree - the retail prices for books and the other stuff they sell are astronomical. $16 for a paperback? Really? You can buy a book online at their site and save significantly over the retail store price for the same book. I understand that B&N need to pay salaries and rent, but the price difference is often double at the brick and mortar store.

I could never understand how people used to buy hard copies of the latest novels, spend ~$25-30 for each, read them once and stick them on a shelf.

Kindle is your friend.

That said, I WILL buy a hard cover copy of The Peripheral, by William Gibson, when its released at the end of October. I'm going to see him speak at the NY Public Library in November and I'm hopeful that he will sign it.

10. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

i still prefer hard copy of everything.. i still buy CD instead of digital download. i prefer to have book in my hand. love the smell of paper. but i can see why digital format can be preferred by others. less space, and less junks laying around the house.

11. slide13

slide13 Loaded Pockets

I agree! I get so frustrated by B&N when I find something for a good price on their website and then go in store and find it much higher. I've even asked them to just sell it to me at their online store price and they refused which I find exceedingly frustrating and a ridiculous way to do business. I can see listing them higher in store but when a customer walks up to the counter ready to buy if you'll just match the price you would sell it to them for online and you refuse you're just turning away money. I walked out the door angry and hating B&N and proceeded to order the same book on Amazon for a slightly lower price than even the B&N online store.

I tried the whole e-reader thing and it isn't for me. I like books, I like to have them around when I'm done reading them on my bookshelf. I like the feel, the look, the smell, everything.

Anyway...to keep this slightly on topic....I got some Field Notes County Fair (Iowa, my home state) and some Doane Paper notebooks in yesterday. Don't love either. This is my second set of Field Notes after the Drink Local edition which I got first. I really prefer the covers on the Drink Local books and might have to go back and get a few more of those (I know a shop that still has some in stock). The Doane Paper books have similarly unimpressive covers and I really dislike the grid + lines thing they are doing, but the paper is nice and shows significantly less show through and zero bleed through compared to the FN. I'll probably use them quite a bit just because the paper is nice, wish they did a grid only version.

12. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

Agree on the Doane. The paper quality is good, and I like the hard chipboard covers on their idea journals and flap jotters. But I don't like their grid + lines either. The grids are too small and the lines are too wide, and the design is too obtrusive for me.

That's why I was excited to find that journal at B&N, I was looking for a hard kraft or chipboard type covered notebook and that fits the bill for me.

For a good combination of gridded and lined paper, I really like what Rite in the Rain did with their "Universal" page pattern - lined paper with faint vertical dot grid. Just barely there to provide vertical guidance but doesn't get in the way.

13. slide13

slide13 Loaded Pockets

I wish Nock Co would come out with a FN size notebook, I love their dot-dash pattern, I have some of their notecards and the paper stock is fantastic for fountain pens and the dot-dash pattern is great...I just don't find notecards as usefull as a small notebook.

14. Trouthunter

Trouthunter Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My new Ipad Mini

Mr. Martines, nikao and Heywood Floyd like this.
  15. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I think you should turn this into B&N Corporate in exchange for some kind of swag or discount card. ;)

ATB,
    Sam

kkay and Sachsen like this.
  16. slide13

slide13 Loaded Pockets

Just got in a Davis Leatherworks simple notebook cover sized for Field Notes. Such a nice product for a little over $20! I have been playing with Midori as well (have a full size already and received the passport size today) and I actually prefer this plus it's much cheaper. The rubber o-ring system he uses wasn't my favorite (I do use the o-rings to hold two books together though, they function perfectly for that) so I replaced it with some extra Midori elastics I have and and punched a tiny hole in the spine for the closure elastic so it wasn't tied to the spine elastic (which caused the spine one to rotate and put the closure one in weird spots sometimes). It's now exactly what I've been looking for functionally.

[​IMG]

Used the awl on my SAK Pioneer to make a tiny hole in the spine for the closure elastic...that SAK awl works so good! Cut a nice tiny little hole no problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by slide13, Sep 11, 2014
  17. medicevans

medicevans Loaded Pockets

These are some I've made. Moleskine Volant, small Cahier, and a Mead Comp book.

[​IMG]

kkay, GiraffeHooves and Dubbs like this.
  18. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

Got mine but preferred to not use the closure. Found it unnecessary.

[​IMG]

19. slide13

slide13 Loaded Pockets

^nice, what leather is that? Looks great. Mine is a butterscotch Chromexcel but I also have a Dublin in English Tan on order that I'm still waiting for.

I want to try my hand at making some, just need to find a place to get the type of leather I want.

20. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

CRAZY HORSE