1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket Knife without a blade?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by thegrouch314, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I'm going to France this summer and French law prohibits carrying any sort of bladed item. I know the risk of getting caught is low and they'd likely just confiscate it but I don't want to take that risk.

Does anyone know of a SAK style tool that doesn't have a blade? I know I could get a Rebar or a Fuse but I don't want to spend that much on a tool that I'd only use once a year

If it doesn't exist, I'll just take the blade off an old SAK. I was gives the Duke of Edinburgh one a few years back and that has a safety blade so it's already useless but I don't want to mutilate a tool, y'know?

2. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Style PS would be a good choice

Stuart Mantel likes this.
  3. thegrouch314

Yeah, I thought about the PS but it seems kinda expensive considering I already have a Juice CS4 that does everything the Style does. I'll keep it in mind though

4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I would caution you about removing a blade from a SAK...the sight of a (bladeless) SAK is going to draw the same amount of unwanted attention as one that has a blade. You are probably looking to avoid that kind of attention.

5. thegrouch314

if i can show them that it doesn't have any sharp edges, it should be okay. It'll be in my pocket the whole time anyway

6. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Jetsetter would be my next choice.

garza and Stuart Mantel like this.
  7. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

You can get a gerber dime that's bladeless. I took a blade off a wingman and replaced it with a suitably sized washer so I could replace when I wanted. Wingman is cheaper than the fuse or rebar, by some distance.

8. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

SAK Jetsetter, Gerber Dime Bladeless, and Leatherman Style PS are the only ones I know about.

9. Spey

Spey Empty Pockets

Consideration ... Perhaps simply de-edge the blade on SAK of your choice for the trip. Then just resharpen when you return. SAK blades are so thin, efftort & steel removal would be fairly minimal.

Or better yet, gift the modded SAK to another poor sole before your return ;-)

10. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

Gerber also makes their full size multitool without a blade MP600 Bladeless. A bit pricey at $73 MSRP but it is a good full-sized tool.
    [Edit] It is on Amazon for $39.11

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

11. Brainstorm

Brainstorm Loaded Pockets

Are you sure? I thought it was only locking blades that are prohibited from carry in France. Anything that is non-locking, e.g. a SAK, is perfectly fine to carry in your pocket.

12. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

When you land buy a small Opinel, a piece of bread and a bottle of wine. If anyone asks you about the knife just hold it all over your head and proudly sing the french national anthem (practice makes perfect, waving a white flag during the national anthem will give you bonus points but its not mandatory). Then cut the bread into pieces using the knife and hand out wine. They will see you as one of their own, they will love you and you'll be able to keep your knife. Before your take your return flight just toss the opinel in an envelope and mail it home.

13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Afaik it's ok to carry non-locking knives or french traditionals in rural areas, in cities, esp. Paris and Île-de-France (Paris region) it's better not to carry anything that could do any harm, even a fly swatter could look suspicious to cops after those terrorist attacks esp. if your French isn't anything but perfect.

Moshe ben David and Brainstorm like this.
  14. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

Carrying your SAK or Opinel in your bag is widely tolerate. In your pocket it is not, at least depending the place you are. A respectful tourist will have less, if any, problems about carrying a small pocket knife than one of our "regular client" or some guy involved in a felony / bar fight / etc ...

@thegrouch314 Send me a PM if you want specific informations. I work as a french LEO and would be glad to give you some advices!

15. squyzz

squyzz Loaded Pockets

I'm french and i edc a knife (leatherman wave / leatherman crater) and never got in trouble with law enforcement.
    As long as the knife isn't visible and that you do not use it in a threatening way you won't be in trouble.

Nick4305 likes this.
  16. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

Un mec des Alpes sans couteau, c'est là qu'il devient suspect :D

17. Brainstorm

Brainstorm Loaded Pockets

MDR! :rofl:

Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. squyzz

squyzz Loaded Pockets

Non, c'est sans sa flasque qu'il est suspect.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  19. PJ

PJ Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Juice CS3. It looks like it is half a Juice multitool. I found one on clearance a few weeks ago at REI for about 7 bucks.

20. thegrouch314

wow, it must be nice to be American sometimes.

It's £40, which is about 70 bucks here