1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket knife for personal protection

Discussion in 'Knives' started by baja820, Dec 21, 2012.

1. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Very wildly.....

ATB,
    Sam

01bugtruck likes this.
  2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Whoa. 3 quick shots. Followed by 6 shots. Then, from the sound of it, a Taser?

And the group of six shots was fired relatively slowly, with an even count. To me, I'd be more than a little curious as to why the officers acted the way they did.

EtA: Ross McClean, from the video, sounded a tad smug about the event, right or not.

3. Alacrity

Alacrity Loaded Pockets

Where I live there have been several acts of random street violence recently. I agree that a knife use is justified only as the last resort, and above all hard to defend in court, but when you are laying on the ground being kicked around, you don't think much about legal issues - you fight for your life with everything you've got. Of course, the best tactics is evasion and running as hell. But when you are cornered, whipping out a bright 5" blade may be a mighty deterrent. I understand this is an extreme scenario, but that's what it is all about. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    And whatever you do, shout like the devil himself :devil:

4. jeffmcc

jeffmcc Loaded Pockets

What happens when they send you to jail for stabbing someone?

5. jeffmcc

jeffmcc Loaded Pockets

There's no thread for HAK knives. Can you start one for pics and reviews?

6. mwestjeeper

mwestjeeper Loaded Pockets

Presumably folks are speaking of situations / locations in which CCW is not allowed. Therefore, the options are a knife, or nothing. The choice seems fairly obvious.

7. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

I used to work in a weapons free zone. If you think outside the box, you will always be armed. An 18" steel ruler on the desk, keys on a dummy cord, penlight on a lanyard and a metal clipboard. Even a broom can be dangerous. Knives can fail. An guy that I knew was attacked and stabbed in the head while on duty in Iraq. Thankfully he is back on active duty.
    If you do chose to carry a knife, it's as a tool.

TDS likes this.
  8. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movements are preferred.)
    Always cheat = always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
    • Have a plan.
    • Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
    • Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).
    • Decide to be AGGRESSIVE enough, QUICKLY enough.

9. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

I'll be the first to admit of being ignorant of the laws of Bolivia...

Where I live, if someone else attacks you, you have the right to defend yourself by any means necessary.

Cervantes likes this.
  10. tattoo13

tattoo13 Loaded Pockets

In general when it comes to the after conflict police and court actions, you would be better off shooting someone than stabbing them.

Certain weapons are just considered more "evil" than others, not saying it makes sense, but it is the way of life.

warchild likes this.
  11. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Carried by 6 or judged by 12.. Man in New York that was beaten into a coma and later died (http://nyti.ms/1fURE1V).. cracked in the side of the head, head hit ground and witnesses heard his skull crack on contact.. Well, he's been carried by 6.
    Now he seems to have been blindsided.. and was immediately out of the fight after making contact with the ground. SO, anyways.. any method or tool to be used for self defense should come equipped with a human scanning their surroundings.

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Or knives are easier to justify than guns. I'm all for the second amendment, but I also know that I'm a lot more likely to raise eyebrows sporting a handgun than I am a thick, functional knife (granted, not a K-Bar or similar 7" monstrosity).

13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

It depends. Stabbing someone isn't an automatic trip to jail; I can think of at least one local case where a kid was caught on video stabbing a man and it was ruled self-defense. Granted, the kid got jacked up on other, unrelated charges - but he wasn't prosecuted based on the altercation.

14. Epilektos

Epilektos Loaded Pockets

While I do prefer to carry a locking blade pocket knife for any situation that may occur sometimes knives arent the best option. Showing a knife before its neccesary can escalate the situation sometimes and other times even knives arent allowed. ie airports So i started carrying a monkey fist lanyard with a 1 in steel ball. Its about 6 in long and with a good swing will really shock the hell out of someone if not knock them out. Plus I can hold this conceled in my hand until neccesary to deploy. However just as with a knife or any other intended weapon you must practice with it and know how you are going to use it.

15. 10x

10x Loaded Pockets

a knife for defense ? Last ditch, yes. As a primary? only if no other choice.

Awareness is the key.
    Extra eyes are good.
    Knives are more evil than guns in most views of the law.
    A case for the "rough use" folder or the "pocket food prep" blade ???
    Distance if possible, if not, apply extreme aggression.
    There will be blood, lots of blood, probably yours.

Epilektos, choombak and warchild like this.
  16. jeffmcc

jeffmcc Loaded Pockets

Well I'm from California and I was thinking about US laws. Here where I live some guy was sleeping in his car and some kids(14-15 year olds so they say) popped his hood and were trying to steal his battery. He woke up and chased them, they stabbed him to death. The police arrived promptly(real fast for Bolivia) and shot and killed 2 of the kids.

I thought that was overkill shooting them when they should have been "taken". But who knows....

I'm sorry if anyone is too scared to travel to Bolivia now lol...

17. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

The poster clearly has never been choked by someone who knows what they are doing. The last thing you will do with free hands is dig for a knife, lol!

18. Petraeus

Petraeus Loaded Pockets

Never get in a fight, especially with weapons. Its been done to death in this thread, but you are better off to ignore and walk away. Its not worth your life. and by the I don't mean you will be killed but your life will be a living hell if you attack somebody with a weapon.

choombak and jeffmcc like this.
  19. jeffmcc

jeffmcc Loaded Pockets

I doubt you have either....or even thought about the ramifications of attacking someone with a weapon. Let's say you get off as innocent...you'd still have to go to court and all that stuff. What happens when the "attacker" says that you attacked them? With no witnesses and he has the knife womb what you gonna do now son?

20. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Thanx for enlightening me...:rolleyes:

This thread is taking a quick turn south IMHO...

I think I'll go look at some more flashlight threads! :D

RoadWizard and jeffmcc like this.