1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket full of Kryptonite

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by mizedog, Aug 27, 2015.

1. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

You know, I'm surprised she didn't whip out her Common Core art work and draw a bunch of squares, circles and dots to add the two. My kids have to learn Common Core (Colorado wants the government subsidies). I secretly teach my kids the old fashioned way too.

A great example of the need to think on your feet is the need to make change. "Change? What's that? ..."

Parents are stepping up around here to establish charter schools that teach traditional methods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

FLbeachbum likes this.
  2. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

The Explorer was left at home and replaced by the No 9 today. The Opinel will be perfect for the free annual BBQ lunch my work is so kindly providing. The bendy plastic knives they provide, not so much.

Of course, I still have a Classic SD on my keys, and a Waiter in my pack.

[​IMG]

3. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I had a similiar situation happen at w.m.
    I asked the cashier to take my item out of the box. She couldn't find her cutter so I offered to cut the tape with my pocket knife; she said, "Don't pull out a weapon in here; those cameras will see it and you will be in trouble".
    The term for this is called dumbing down and it is a more serious situation than many realize.

4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Welcome....

And with a tip of the hat to those bygone generations of "Barbed Wire Boys."

ATB,
    Sam

mizedog likes this.
  5. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Respect! Even 900 is 408 or thereabouts in kilos.

Squatting that amount with even substandard bench and deadlift would put you in top three - mostly firmly on top - in practically any classic powerlifting comp.
    down here.
    This would mean an estimated total of more than a metric ton! Not that often seen even with IPF gear!

You ever competed in powerlifting?

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Thanks. No, I never completed, but my workout buddy did locally. I also never took pictures of my progress because I thought I'd always be bigger, stronger the next week. Oh well.

Mark_Trail likes this.
  7. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

^
    You should've compeated. But as always, hindsight is 20/20 :(

Current World Record is 477 by that 180 kilo man mountain Williams. Saw him last year and that dude is huge.

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Awesome song. This describes many that live just east of here in Colorado.

9. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Nice thread and good reads!

I particularly enjoyed that post about three cashiers failing to cut a tag off an item.

Been in similar situations and i've learned to never offer people tool assistance unless they flat out ask "can somebody help me?" because reaching out to those around you and admitting that you dont have the ability in the moment but recognize you arent alone in the world is a brave and clever thing and it should be rewarded :)

I've found asking them if they want to borrow a pair of scissors will just result in indignation over being subtly called stupid or more dumbfoundedness (because scissors live in remote kitchen drawers and do not meddle in the affairs of mortals).

The good thing is we're not alone, it just seems like that because we're all distracted by looking in horror at the flailings of people who havent figured out how to teach themselves new things. Thats at least what i tell myself when i fear for the safety of future generations, i hope it's true. :)

Oh yeah and i'm following this thread now.

RoadWizard likes this.
  10. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Thanks, and you speak the truth. Gotta love people, though; even those who don't share the same view of this world.

Oh, the group at work refilled the team's snack cart and brought it around. One of the packages was still sealed in plastic, a barrier to be thwarted. In a blinding flash of middle aged vigor, I flipped out the Vic Explorer and watched the helpless cellophane part away to expose the empty calories therein stored. It was a masterful move of grace, eligance and saguafair. Then, as the aroma of off brand creme cookies walfted forth, I looked up to see if anyone was shocked and alarmed at my one inch blade. Thankfully, all as well, and my sweet reward was claimed and devoured. It was a worth whie risk.

Water-Rat and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  11. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Agreed! Gotta love people. I can see it like i was there!

These men and women are witnesses to a truly relaxed and natural moment, one so seldom seen in captivity they perhaps had forgotten it could happen? Now they remember their own ancestry, lingering conflict surging within them: a lightning of fear coupled together with the thunder of recognizing their own nature. Creme cookies are a beautiful thing indeed!

:smile_coffee:

mizedog likes this.
  12. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

And now for something completely different...(yeah, right)

I've had the Rush 24 for a few months now, and it continues to be my EDC backpack. It still feels a little foreign to me, having only carried a lunch cooler to work for years. However, I'm trying to convince myself that it's really more than just a place to carry lunch. I moved some backup supplies from my desk to my backpack so they will travel with me. I love that all my extra stuff is secured in built in pouches which means nothing falls out if the main compartment is open. No fumbling around a bunch of small loose pouches to find what I need.

The pack, after three and a half months of use.
    [​IMG]

The fabric is softening a little. The zippers on the main front panel don't like to turn the corners before the fabric collapses. It's a two-handed operation to turn the corner. I tend to bring them together at a corner as a result.
    [​IMG]

I think it's typical to bring both zippers of the main compartment together when closing. Well, if they are together in the closed position, and the two butterfly pockets are open, the main zipper pulls fall down inside the butterfly pockets. When the butterfly pockets close on the main zipper pulls, the main compartment won't unzip. Maybe this offers some level of security, but drives me crazy.
    [​IMG]

The right butterfly pocket full.
    [​IMG]

Allergy meds and the Book. Super easy to locate by touch.
    [​IMG]

Left butterfly pocket. Actual Altoids, earbud pouch, note pad, Sharpy, and tissues.

[​IMG]

Front main admin panel. The wallet stays hidden down inside the pocket, and is really just for backup cash. The Altoids can is for coins.

[​IMG]

Contents of the main admin panel. FAK, tool pouch, Chums wallet, Altoids can for coins, 18650 light (often replaced by 2xAA light), shop pencil (aka: kubaton), pens, reading glasses, bandana, lens cleaners, computer glasses, button light that hangs on the key keeper.

[​IMG]

Chums with a few back up bucks, gift card, and house key.
    [​IMG]

Super high tech tool pouch doing undercover work as a pencil case. Holds batteries, Leatherman PST from the 80s (thanks Dad), duct tape, and cheap headlight, and prybar "multitool" from Lowes.
    [​IMG]
    FAK started as a $10 cheapie from Wally World "modified" with almost a week of prescription meds, whistle, tweezers, button compass, N95 mask, eye wash, and, wait for it... first aid goodies.
    [​IMG]

Empty Platipus water bag in the... water bag pocket, just waiting for full-"fill" its destiny.
    [​IMG]

The main compartment, loaded as usual, sans the lunch sack. The lower zipper pocket is open for the pic.
    [​IMG]

Snacks, 9000mah battery pack and non-spork parfait spoon.
    [​IMG]
    Stearns rain jacket is usually rolled up in the bottom of the main compartment.
    [​IMG]
    Personal hygiene items (hey, we paid for the hotel rooms, I kept the lotion and soap).
    [​IMG]
    Extra toilet paper and up to four feminine napkins (yes, they saved the day for my girls just this week).
    [​IMG]

Not pictured:
    1 grocery store 16 oz water bottle in one side pocket.
    1 FMRS radio in the other.

There you have it; a never-before-seen look at a Rush 24 EDC pack. All criticism (be gentle), and suggestions appreciated.

#72 mizedog, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  13. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Just pasting a bit from this tread:
    Dumping the lunch cooler. Moab 10, Covrt 18 or Rush 24 for a tall guy?

Just a quick update. I've had the Rush 24 for a couple weeks now and have used it for an EDC bag, and range bag.
    Overall impression:
    Sturdy, stiff, lots of organization, plenty big for EDC but with room for extra duties. I'm confident that the Moab 10 would be too small, and am not confident the Covrt 18's organization layout would be ideal, and I dislike mesh water bottle pockets. I wish I had a TNF Recon to compare to the Rush 24, especially due to the less tactical looks.

Dislikes:
    • I have no use for the molle and wish it wasn't there. I am now convinced that I would rather have it look like a regular The North Face bag than tacticool. People at work have either noticed and commented, or stared at the pack like it's odd.
    • The sunglasses pouch opening has two faults: It's small enough to act like a monkey fist trap when putting glass in, or trying to get them out. My fist holding glasses is too large for the opening. The zipper teeth point right toward any glasses that would go in there. So, instead of just sticking the glasses in with only my fingers holding the glasses risks that the zipper teeth will scratch the glasses. Then, I'm back to the monkey trap scenario.
    • The straps are a little slippery for one-strap carrying. I can do it, but have to keep a couple brain cells dedicated to monitoring strap position. Normally, this is not an issue, but if I'm carrying something else, it's tough to pull the strap up again.
    • I'm not convinced that the yoke style setup is as versatile as I'd like; especially for one-strap carry, but it's not a deal breaker.
    • The sternum strap is set very high for me and I'll have to move it down, and lengthen it.
    • The pack likes to fall forward when sitting on the ground (causes it to fall into the wheels of my office chair).
    • The little zippered pockets that are part of the inside of the butterfly pockets are smaller than the flap, and because of this, are a little small for easy access. Also, the zippers should be moved from vertical orientation, to horizontal along the top.
    • I wish the inside of the admin pockets were lined with a lighter color fabric.
    • The main admin pocket doesn't seem to be set up to hold knives or multitools. Elastic straps as found in typical pocket organizers would make a whole lot of sense. I feel the need to carry an additional pocket organizer (Condor) for my knives, which seems a little redundant.
    • I like the organization the pockets provide. I don't use them all on a daily basis, and am still trying to figure out the best layout while avoiding the trap of over packing.
    • I like the stiffness of the fabric, but understand it may become more supple with use.
    • I'm surprised that, when two-strapping it, the pack comes almost down to my lower back/waist area making me wonder if adding a waist strap would actually provide some weigh-bearing for heavy loads.
    • The stitching seems to be of consistent high quality
    • I love the elastic bands in place to keep excess straps policed.
    • I like the top oriented openings of the pouches in the admin area. It makes it items easy to access when the pack is on the floor next to me in the office
    • I like that I can keep one back up water bottle in a side pocket without it being oriented in an external pocket and thus exposed, and at a risk of falling out. It's in there, but I forget about it.
    • I like that the AR-15 mag pockets are size perfectly to carry four Clif bars, or my Condor pocket organizer. Although, I'm looking for a lighter weight organizer solution to carry my multitool (see dislikes above).
    • I like that there are non-mesh pockets in the main compartment. They are great for providing a little privacy and concealing things like feminine products (for my wife and daughters, and for first aid), or toilet paper, etc.
    • The overall size seems to hit a sweet spot. It's large enough that I use only a portion of the space, and has capacity for lunch, a mini range bag, or clothe, etc.
    • I like the large, wide open pocket in the main admin pocket that acts as the surface for the pencil pouches. It's great for a red first aid pouch.
    • I love the top grab handle. It's stiff and easy to identify by feel and really makes it easy to lift from the ground, or to stick it in the car.
    • I like the black color as it isn't easily seen through my truck windorws
    I haven't used the water bladder area yet, but don't know if I'll use that function. I have a Camelbak day hike pack that works better for riding bikes and hiking. I may end up putting a flat folded space blanket or shirt in there.

I bought a red first aid pouch/kit that's easy to see, and large enough to carry the basics. I used it yesterday at the range after my little 9mm's slide decided to bite my hand a couple times (I think single stacks are not the right choice for my big mitts).

I find that it's touch not to start throwing things in there just because the room is there. But, I like that I have extra capacity. I'm thinking of putting a small collapsible umbrella in the other side water bottle zip pocket, and again, want to have some tarp solution there just in case.

The range:
    I have a Condor TT pouch that I used to carry in a Russell school type back pack as a get home bag. The pack started to fall apart and has been replaced by a Mossy Oak Rush 72 clone. So, the TT has been converted to a handgun pouch. It's just the right size to carry two small pistols, mags, bandanna, ear plugs, holster, etc. Yesterday, I loaded it up with my little Taurus PT709 Slim, and a 38 Special sub nose. Unfortunately, not much ammo will fit. But, I just threw the TT into the main compartment of the Rush 24 and it fit fine, even though I had a small lunch bag in there too. Great solution.

Sorry for the ramble. I can add pictures if anyone feels it would add value.

Nick4305 and Water-Rat like this.
  14. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Wenger Classic 62 day
    A little qualification first. Today is Sunday, which means church. I did carry my Vic Explorer, and used it to repair a piece of furniture.
    Once home, I switched to light weight athletic shorts. The Explorer would be a little heavy, so I switched to the Classic 62, which to me, is similar to a Compact, but without scissors, or hook. It got me by and didn't weigh my shorts down.

From removing and reinstalling door hardware so I could paint the door, to slicing off tags from seat cushions, to opening packages, to slicing cheese. It performed throug the challenges. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#74 mizedog, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Nick4305 likes this.
  15. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I'm going to stray a little away from my typical suburban EDC items briefly. I'm participating in a minimalist challenge using the Victorinox Executive and am having fun with it. I posted a couple pics of the Exec being used in the wood shop (aka: my garage) where I'm building a simple hiking stick. We'll just say that a walking stick, or hiking poles would be considered EDC for trips into the woods. In order to avoid cluttering up the minimalist challenge thread with my walking stick pictures, I'll post them here.

I have a set of awesome Leki poles. Why go with a walking stick? I've always associated the traditional walking stick with the organic outdoor adventure setting. The Lekis are amazing in the mountains, but a little overkill on relatively flat ground. I often find I'm just carrying them until I encounter a rough spot. So, a walking stick might be good for flatter ground, and would be better for protection against flying monkeys, and the other animals that wander here in Colorado. In the end, I just saw some good strong broom handles at Home Depot, and couldn't help but try one out.

First, the broom handle is supposedly a hardwood. It's definitely tougher than a poplar version they had. Plus, it's longer at 60 inches.
    Inspired by something I saw on Pinterest, I bought 2 copper pipe caps (1"), some 1/4-20 female inserts, grade 8 1/4-20 bolts, and a 1/4-20 screw eye. One insert will go in each end with a copper cap over the top. JB Weld will help hold it tight. The insert will allow me to build my own pointed tip (grade 8 bolt), with a rubber tip covering it most of the time. The top end can accept the screw eye, a hook, or, the maple handle I turned. I could even build a "survival compartment" similar to the handles on some survival knifes.

The Executive helped with some of this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's the top handle almost finished. I plan on inlaying a coin sized medal on the end. Next step is to bore a hole in the end with a forstner bit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then, I'll stain and finish it in a medium dark color, and install the threaded insert, and copper pipe cap on the tenon, and add a 1/4-20 bolt. It will then screw right on the end of the stick.

After that, I have to install a threaded insert, copper cap on the tip end. I will grind a grade 8 bolt to a point to form the spike for ice. Over that, Will go a rubber hiking stick tip.

#75 mizedog, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Nick4305 likes this.
  16. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

So where's the EDC factor? It will be EDC on hikes. It won't be hollow to store survival goodies. Those goodies go in a backpack.

This should be great for relatively level ground, an the spike will offer good protection from bears, mountain lions, coyotes, and two legged predators (if I let them get that close). There's even elk and mouse here in Colorado. I did hear of someone being rushed by a big bobcat.

#76 mizedog, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  17. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately my forstner bits aren't big enough for the medal I want to inlay. So, I'll proceed without that.
    Here's an idea of how it will look.
    [​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  18. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I tried to drill a recess with the drill press. Unfortunately, it walked off center.
    But, as Supergirl says, there's always another way.
    I decided to take off enough wood to turn a mortis the good old fashioned way. I think it turned out great. I burnished the grip rings and the wood smelled like syrup. Gotta love maple.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nick4305 and RoadWizard like this.
  19. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Almost there. I gave the handle a bath in Colonial Maple, drilled it, screwed in the insert, and JB Welded the copper cap on.

I did the cap treatment to the business end of the main stick, but ground the grade 8 bolt into a point. One lock nut holds the bolt in place, both provide friction to hold the rubber tip in place.

I'll add some poly to the handle, and screw it in place tomorrow. I hope to test it as my EDC hiking stick on the Section 16 trail in Black Forest.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#79 mizedog, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Nick4305 and _mg_ like this.
  20. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I used a classic spiral wrap of black paracord that has reflective, and GITD strands.

The family took a hike this afternoon which afforded me the chance to test it (sans the turned handle as it, was still dying). I couldn't be happier with how it came out. It's nearly perfect.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.