1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket full of Kryptonite

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by mizedog, Aug 27, 2015.

1. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I switched from my go anywhere lifted Jeep Cherokee to a foo-foo luxo Ford F150 Platinum last Halloween day (hey, my dear wife said she wanted me out of the "old" Jeep and in something more reflective of my "age" :( ). The Ford has a center console large enough to hang Pendaflex folders. So, a couple EDC doodads have been accumulating at the bottom. Unfortunately, it's been tough to dig out what I want without digging around for five minutes.

Here's what's been in there:
    [​IMG]

This is the PERFECT excuse to order a new organizer pouch! A Maxpedition Beefy is due for delivery tomorrow. Woo hoo! So, what is the POU (Philosophy of Use)? This one's not for survival, not for mechanical repairs, or surviving the end. This ones just to make it easy to locate the simple random things a driver and family of passengers need.
    Here's a potential list:
    • Multitool - Sidekick
    • Tire pressure gauge
    • Pen/pencil
    • Paper
    • Small first aid kit (basic)
    • Electronics cables
    • Back up battery
    • Flash light
    • Meds
    • Small "airsick" bag for my daughter
    • Dramamine!
    • Lip balm
    • Small comb/or hair brush for my daughters
    • Hand sanitizer
    • Sun block
    • Lens clothe
    • Local map
    • Wet wipes
    • Contact list
    • Duct Tape
    • Anti- "Are we there yet?" pills
    Tomorrow, I'll start the F150 console organizer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by mizedog, Mar 20, 2016
    Nick4305 likes this.
  2. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Still find this is my go to set up. [​IMG]
    Can leave the Climber/Olight combo at home if necessary. I did just add the pen and hex key. I'm amazed at how often I used the pen in the last three days. The hex key works on doors with crash bars. As part of the Life Safety Team, I use it to lock, unlock the church during services to keep out bad guys.

[​IMG]

On the weekends, I tend to leave the Climber/Olight behind and take a Leatherman. Inevitably, I find myself in need of the Olight and don't have it. I've got to get a lanyard ring for my Wave so I can switch the Climber out for the Wave and still have a light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Nick4305 likes this.
  3. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Something came in the mail today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I explained to my Sweetheart that it was to organize the things that collect at the bottom of the truck console. She replied, "So it's a cr@p holder". I love when she puts things in perspective for me.

Water-Rat, Hewi and Nick4305 like this.
  4. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I live at altitude (7,000 ft.). That means that most prepackaged food processed at sea level comes up here pressured. What does that mean for unsuspecting Yoplait customers? As soon as the lid is peeled back, yogurt sprays all over hands, table, clothes...

Well, I find my Vic Classic is perfect for releaving the pressure in a way that keeps the goods in the cup. Love it.
    [​IMG]

Water-Rat likes this.
  5. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

The cr@p is now securely in place.

6. aeliassen

aeliassen Loaded Pockets

I love that leatherman fixes their products free of charge for your entire lifetime. It's extra reassuring when you see someone that get a new product that breaks the first time it's opened.

I feel your pain from the letdown :(

7. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I caved and bought the Maglite Mini AA and Mini AAA combo pack at HD for $20. I know Maglite is balked at by many, but the AA version just works well in the back pocket of my jeans. The smooth sides make it easy to pull out too. This new one seems much more reliable than my last one.
    [​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  8. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Another Spring time blizzard today; 60 mph winds causing sideways winds. Great day for Spring cleaning. I've had most of my sloppy mix of pocket knives in a ceramic pie pan and decided to clean things up a bit.
    [​IMG]

Some are just cheap things, but some I've had since the early 80s, some are gifts, some are from my Grandfather. All that fit into this little plastic three drawer bin.
    Pocket knife dump:
    [​IMG]
    Multitool/light dump drawer (mostly weekend stuff:
    [​IMG]
    Daily EDC pocket carry drawer:
    [​IMG]

There are a few things that went other places. The Executive went into small pouch, and that's kept in the drawer by my lazy boy. The two UltraFires stay in jacket pockets.

So, how do you store your EDC junk? Have any suggestion? Since I'm a wood worker, I'm thinking of building a nice low, wide drawer system to replace the plastic.

Last edited by mizedog, Apr 17, 2016
    Nick4305 likes this.
  9. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

If anyone's interested (doubt it), I found my old "edc" bag from the 90s when I was the guy on the left:
    [​IMG]
    And my little edc/ MacGyver pouch, guitarist style.
    [​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  10. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

So, went to my church's big annual Spring Ball last night with my Sweetheart and had a great time. I know because I killed my bum knees dancing too much.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, we rented a new ballroom facility that came with a "built in" MC guy that sang Sinatra, kind of :(

During the big raffle, Frankie Junior tried to call out the ticket numbers but couldn't see the tickets because the lights were down. Weeeeelllll, of course I pulled out my aaa Olight and saved the day.

Today I repaired a broken floor monitor speaker from the church. Used the Climber to pry up the broken jack plate.

[​IMG]

Tonight my lovely sister hosted Mother's Day and asked me to choose and open the wine. Weeeellll, perfect excuse to use my Climber.

Then, one of the guests lost her phone under the couch. Weeelll, out came the Olight.

Now, I know most people survive unprepared, but it was fun for me to have the basics at the right time.

Water-Rat and Nick4305 like this.
  11. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Hello all. The F 150 is a dream come true. I've added two Costco bins with the yellow lids. One carries tools, etc. The other, my small laptop bag, and a small duffel I got free from NRA. The backpack has always been too small; especially as a get home bag during winter. I can't fit any coats, or large items in there. So, the NRA duffel holds a coats, boots, and spare change of clothes for those blizzards that could keep me from making it home.

I need a larger backpack to act as a get home bag, and possibly BOB.

I work 12-15 miles from home, and the walk home would require crossing through 3 miles of neighborhood (could use the golf course to go stealth, if needed), and the rest would be across treeless high plains of Colorado. The plains used to be mostly pasture, but are slowly succumbing to urban sprawl. Even so, I could walk miles through pasture, or divert through Black Forest, which is all Ponderosa Pine. It is entirely possible that a walk home could require an overnight bivy in a ravine, bushes, or in the pines.

I've been drawn to the Rush 72, but don't like the price, and that it has a reputation for being to short for tall people (I'm 6'4").
    Second choice would have been the Condor 3 Day Assault pack, and can be had for half the price of the Rush 72.

New at WallyWorld:
    I try to walk through the camping equipment for fun and saw they have a new back pack from Fieldline that looks like a Rush 72 knockoff but is almost 65 liters. It's called the Mossy Oak Highland Internal Frame Pack. It's priced at $44.97 in the store, but on their website, it's marked down to $36.00. The store matched the on-line price. I couldn't help but pick up the black one last night. I haven't had a chance to fill it, but will try to get pictures comparing the old Russell laptop backpack with the new Fieldline pack. It's hard to beat that price.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by mizedog, Sep 12, 2016
    Mark_Trail and Nick4305 like this.
  12. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

It looks like the Big River site has them at just over $56. Has anyone had experience with this pack?

13. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Here's a couple pics. The first one shows it empty, next to my overstuffed laptop bag. The second one shows the Fieldline head swallowed the Russell laptop bag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Moved everything from the Russell to the Fieldline and had plenty of room to spare. I need to rethink the truck and pack loadout now. I kept a large Condor T&T organizer in the Russell, and a Beefy in the truck's console. Since the Fieldline has built in organization, I may switch things around to keep the pack light. Suggestions are welcome.

One thing that will probably change is the MRE that's in the pack. I've broken it down, but it's still heavy for one meal. I would like to have three meals in the pack, plus snacks. I've seen people stuck in their vehicles for more than 12 hours of blizzard and I'd like to have at least enough for me, and maybe some to share.

Nick4305 likes this.
  15. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

The backpack is partially loaded and has been living in my truck. I'm glad I took it on a recent fishing trip with my father to Lake Ogallala, Nebraska. We ended up fishing over the spillway wall, about 15' above the water when I caught a 5 pound catfish. I grabbed some 550 cord from the pack, tied it to a 5 gallon bucket so I could lower the bucket down to the water, and being it up as a make shift fish holder. I hooked 7 cats, but 3 were too much for my rig and broke line, or hook, and snap swivel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I here and read often that 550 cord has so many uses. I never thought of that one. Know your knots, folks!

16. Sofastreamer

Sofastreamer Loaded Pockets

very nice thread and pictures. makes me want to go to america...

17. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Thank you Sofastreamer!

18. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Mizedog's Theory of Relativity, or, the world according to Mizedog:

I've read several posts recently stating that the Case Large (or Jumbo) Stockman is huge, and barely pocketable. I respect this perspective, but am resisting letting that view scare me away from one. Here's why...

Lately, I've realized more and more that my perspective is different from many. I realize that I'll never drive a Lamborghini, or a Ferrari. I just saw a restored Triumph TR-6 that was awesome. Nope, can't drive it. Why, like the Case mentioned above, I'm huge, but definitely not pocketable. I'm 6'4", and large boned. Not like the forelorned girl who will never be a pro model. I'm large boned like a lineman. In fact, I played both tackle and guard in high school football, and at one time could squat over 900 pounds, and had 20" arms.

How does that fit into the EDC world? I realize that what is "normal" for others is not for me.

Here's the basic, rough math. If the average male height in America is 5'9', then I'm about 10 or 11% taller, not taking into consideration my large bones. So, a 58mm Classic really feels like a 51-52mm knife. For me to experience what a 58mm knife feels like to the "average" make, I would have to hold a 65mm Wenger.
    [​IMG]

A 91mm SAK in my hands really equates to what others would experience holding an 84mm Cadet. For me to understand what a 91mm knife feels like to others, I would have to try a 100mm knife.

So, a "huge" 4 1/4" large stockman would really feel like a 3 7/8" regular large stockman like some from other companies.
    Am I on the right track? Maybe this explains why I drop my 58mm Classics so often and have difficulty getting the tools deployed. Maybe that's why my 84mm Waiter is only a three finger knife to me, and I don't always have good purchase on the handle, much like a 74mm would to others.
    [​IMG]
    So, my Opinel No. 9 really is as pocketable as a No. 8.

I think a jumbo stockman might just need in my future, and would be similar to my Copperlock.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not complaining, just pointing out my perspective. Thoughts?

#58 mizedog, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Mark_Trail likes this.
  19. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

She was stunned and confused!
    My oldest kid is at summer camp in the Colorado mountains this week. So, had to do some shopping at REI and Dick's to pick up supplies for her. While we were waiting in line at the check out counter, the customer in front of us asked the cashier/associate to cut the tag off the item she had just paid for. I know, I know. Most, if not all of us, would instantly think of whipping out any of a number of tools and cutting the little plastic attachment. Not this girl. She was literally stunned and confused! She stopped, looked at the customer and asked her to repeat the request. To her terror, the customer asked her again to cut off the tag as she needed to wear the item right away.
    [​IMG]
    My girls heard this too and immediately looked at me expecting me to pull out one of my SAKs and offer the scissors. I refrained. Why...? Partly because I was amused and wanted to observe this young lady's problem solving process. Another reason is that this was Dick's. While they do carry firearms and knives, the young people who work there look like their only exposure to something sharp would be their shoelaces. They're nice, but I could just imagine the cashier seeing my little red SAK and yell out "Knife! He's got a knife!!!". I'm sure the security cameras would have caught that...

So, the young lady at the counter clawed her way back to consciousness, looked questioningly at the other person behind the counter who was just as baffled but gave her a "I'm sorry you are having problems, but it's not my problem, so I'll just watch because I really don't know what to do anyway. Oh, do you like my new sneakers"-kind of look. I could see panic beginning to build. She started looking around the counter as if she hoped step by step directions would appear. Nothing like that happened. She picked up the phone, and called for help from someone in the back. She had to repeat herself as if the person on the other end of the line had been equally stunned. Then, another young person who was hoping he looked like an authority in the Dick's world emerged from the back. Of course, he was not prepared. He looked at the item, then looked at the customer, then the original cashier and the color drained from his face. He actually tugged on the plastic piece as if he could break it but was unsuccessful. He then ran with the item back to the bowels of the store for more help and resources while the customer waited. After a couple minutes, he finally came out with scissors and clumsily figured out how to use them.

During this whole event, my girls were quietly urging me to pull out my SAK. They knew the answer, and how to solve the problem and wanted me to fix things.

I would wonder what that cashier's parents would say if I were to meet them, and ask them what they did to prepare their daughter to face the real world. I bet they would be equally as stunned and confused!
    [​IMG]
    Note: I know that her age had little to do with her inability to tackle the problem. Heck, my 11 and 13 year old girls were ready. With that said, I do wonder if instead, the cashier expected a participation award after her coworker handled the situation...

#59 mizedog, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    RoadWizard, Water-Rat and Gary Gross like this.
  20. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

Sorry to say I am no longer surprised by cashier interactions like this. Last month I was in Walmart on a Sunday evening and realized I was going to need cash before the bank opened Monday morning. So when I got to the checkout I told the girl I wanted to write the check for $20 over the total of $115.23. She just looked at me like she didn't know what to do. I thought maybe she was new and nobody had asked her that before. But she just kept standing there not saying or doing anything. Finally after 15 to 20 seconds she started to laugh and reach for her cell phone. I had no idea what she was doing until she asked me "so...umm...$135.23?" Then she said that was just too much math to do in your head. I just forced a smile. What can you say at that point. I don't know if I'm more concerned that someone who was obviously in her mid 20's couldn't add 20 to 115 and get 135 without using a calculator or that she didn't seem the least bit embarrassed.