1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket full of Kryptonite

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by mizedog, Aug 27, 2015.

1. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Hello all. Mizedog here, carving out a simple place to confess my habit for filling my pockets with my trinkets, and thoughts on a changing world where the words "repair", "fix", and phrases like "I can do this myself" are fading away into memories of the past. Yep, I'm old enough to remember what a church key is, to have seen the Lunar Landing and Watergate live on black and white TV, and be amazed at real men who could crush a real tin can with their hands. I have cut my heels on many a pop top at the beach, saw Star Wars and Jaws in the theater when they first came out in the 70s. My first pocket knife was given to me by my father while we lived on an Army fort in Alaska just after he returned from Viet Nam. Of course, I first cut the snot out of my finger with my first knife I received while in Alaska. I did my best to carve totem poles with that old Schrade while the moose walked by. I idolized my grandfather who immigrated from Germany at 16 years old, and worked as a welder building train cars for 37 years. Both of these men were/are self-reliant survivors able to fix or make anything. These were men who knew about Every Day Carry.

So, after spending an Army-brat childhood moving around the country, learning to love nature, camping, fishing, hunting, and woodworking. I spent 20 years in Southern California learning to surf, rock the house as a bass player in working rock bands, and explore the mountains and deserts in my old but definitely manly Jeep CJ-7. My Jeeper friends were the only ones who understood my love for pocket knives, tools, and good ol' know-how. Most others in SoCal were scared to death of my Victorinox classic.

Now, after 9 years in Colorado I'm re-inventing my saggy pocket habit and have dug out my small collection of EDC gadgets. I'm just east of the Front Range where the town gives way to the high plains and horse ranches. I get to carry knives and tools.

So, this thread will be more for my own satisfaction than anyone else, and I am the first to admit that my "kryptonite" is much less extravagant, high end and collectible than the amazing pieces most others on this forum own. However, if you can appreciate the common man's goodies, and don't mind a few pictures of Colorado, and me celebrating what I consider collectible, then sit back, stay tuned, and be tolerant.

Lastly, thanks to all of you who have made this an awesome forum.
    Cheers.

2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Pics or it didn't happen.

And by that I mean I'm subscribed.

3. GiraffeHooves

GiraffeHooves EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can't wait to see the pictures and common man goodies can be really great too!

4. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

The trees are showing hints of fall colors here, even though temps have hit the 80s. The shorter days to come are an excuse for lights and GID!

Here is my basic set up and the items migrate around a bit. I just find myself coming back to this because it just works. The Olight is usually hanging peacefully next to the Vic Climber and I have a feauxton on the keychain. Replacement feauxtons just came in last night so the Olight will reunite with the Climber.

There is a toothpick slipped inside the gutted paracord for when the Classic is not there.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by mizedog, Aug 28, 2015
  5. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Ok. The new fauxton is back on keychain duty and the O light found its home. [​IMG]
    Underneath is my 1985 G&L L2000 bass which was a true brute of a bass. I've had it since 1994 and it's weight matches it's sound. I bought this because the Fender 5 string Jazz I was using just didn't have the booty needed for 80s rock. It's getting cleaned up so it can find a new home with someone else. I'm playing mostly at church and just don't need the huge sound.

6. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

By the way, I really like my Danglers By Kurt custom stainless steel dangler clip, bedazzled with the Nite Ize locking S biner. Makes carrying the Climber and Olight a breeze at the office; No crowding the keychain. Since I run the music ministry at church, the church key (not the can opener type) sometimes nestles between the light and knife. This little set up makes sure I'm set if I take my lovely wife's car. Her keys are mostly just keys.

7. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Kryptonian - get out of his pocketses!

He needs that space for sharps and shinies!

8. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

What if I shrunk down as if to enter the bottle city of Kandor. Could I stay then?

9. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

He'd still have to carry that dang bottle around.

10. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

mizedog everyone has different needs and wants and I enjoy seeing what everyone carries so please post more of the "common mans goodies".

11. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Thanks Gallows.
    Today I had to clean out the clothes dryer exhaust tube and needed a flashlight. I robbed the lanyard from my Victorinox Altimeter Plus and attached it to the little Olight so it wouldn't drop out of my hand and into the vent tube in the crawl space below. Worked great. I like this lanyard because it's sized for my hand and when looped around a belt, becomes a nice dangler for the Vic. The smaller loop is for hanging over my belt. That's my camping/hiking set up.
    [​IMG]

12. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Yesterday, my department at work held the Quarterly Staff meeting for Q2. We always try to make it fun by choosing a theme, minor decorations, and even create some simple games. This one's theme was State Fair so we had lots of food on sticks, games like ring toss, fishing for rubber ducks, etc. That meant cutting open food packages, decoration packages, etc. I brought my new Case Medium Stockman Pocket Worn Red Bone (corn row jigging) instead of my usual Vic Climber cause it makes less noise when I pull it out (no jangling flashlight). It sliced open lots of things perfectly. One of my colleagues was ripping packages apart by hand. She was amazed when she saw that I brought my own knife and she shocked but impressed that I would even think to do that. Little did she know that I ALWAYS have a knife with me. How do people get by without having basic tools with them?? Oh well, driving a desk all day long doesn't foster an atmosphere of self-reliance and dragon slaying.
    This award I won shows the theme:
    [​IMG]

Here's a better shot of my Case next to my Grandfather's old Boker Stockman. The Boker is carbon steel and has an awesome patina. I was afraid to carry it for fear of losing it. That's why I got the Case; it's similar to the Boker.
    [​IMG]
    What's cool about the award is that I'll get to convert the points I earn to a gift card. Last quarter I was able to get a gift card from Cabela's that got me the Case stockman, a Case copperhead, and a Leatherman Wave. Hmm... wonder what I'll get next. My have to be a torch, water filter, or maybe one of those family buckets o' freeze-dried food. A good problem to have.

Last edited by mizedog, Sep 3, 2015
  13. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Like a good dad, I took off last Friday to go on my daughter's field trip to the Paint Mines park in Calhan, CO. This was to be a geo caching trip for the kids and the science teacher borrowed a bunch of old gps units from the Science Foundation in Colorado Springs for the day. I figured this would be a good occasion to take my get home bag since the day would mean hiking hiking with a bunch of 6th graders out in the high plains (7,000 feet elevation).

Bag modifications (actually a de-scaling):
    I gambled that we wouldn't have any blizzards since last week it was in the 80s. So, I removed my alcohol stove, Mora knife, MRE, some of the tools. I did leave my relatively new Condor T and T organizer in there which has an old Gerber multitool, and a fake SAK (labelled as a Metro). I left my ultra light sil-nylon backpacking poncho/tarp in there because it was so light. In the void gained from removing a few things, I added a windbreaker/rain jacket. I also threw a fleece jacket in the back of the car.

Conditions:
    It's been in the 70s and 80s and sunny lately. Of course I didn't want to be that guy that brought an expedition pack to a walk in the park. It turned out to be about 50 degrees, foggy with a 10-20 mph wind.

The others:
    It turned out that 80% of the other kids and parents were really unprepared (no surprises there, huh?). There were about 180 of us and I saw a tone of kids in those light stretch tight pants and hoodies. That's it. Most had no backpacks. Even most of the other parent-volunteers had juts light jackets. There was one young couple who looked like the classic new-age hippy type. Yep, just hoodies.

The Paint Mines Open Space is a cool place to visit. But, it's in the high, short grass prairie where there isn't much cover. As soon as everyone got off the busses, the cold hit them and they all (including me) lined up at the one potty. The environment reminded me of the moors in Wuthering Heights. It was cold enough to make noses run, and the kids whine and complain. It took what seemed like 30 minutes to get everyone through the bathroom. In that time I had to switch from a ball cap to my knit ski cap (which can fold down over my neck if needed), put on my fleece jacket, AND my rain jacket. I considered gloves to refrained.

The plan was to be out there from 9:00 to 1:00 finding all 16 caches and doing the activities there in. We didn't start until almost 10:00, and the teachers called it at 10:45 due to the cold. The kids didn't even get to the hoodoos that the park is known for!

Moral: Be prepared, or compromise the mission!
    In short, if all the people had dressed like me (just a insulated layer, and a shell), we could have been out there until the planned end time.
    Aside from a runny nose, I was actually comfortable and warm. I think the rain jacket was crucial because it kept my core dry. My hat, and jeans were very damp due to the foggy wind. It was thick enough that visibility varied between 300 feet and 1000 feet. It was weird to experience not being able to navigate visually. It also made it obvious to me that if I was really in a get home situation (and not on a field trip with a bunch of kids with gps units), having a map and compass would, or a gps would have also been crucial. I had printed a topo and satellite map of the area, and put it in the map protector that came with the Condor. I also keep a Suunto compass in there. If I had to navigate, knowledge of orienteering would have been needed. I would have had to shoot very short and frequent azimuths due to the low visibility.

Hoodies:
    In wet, windy conditions, without a nylon shell, these things stink. The kids were miserable. The dampness only made it worse.
    Food:
    Some kids only had lunches that were left in the busses. The few that brought snacks ate them to keep warm.

My Get Home bag changes:
    My pack is a typical laptop pack that a college kid would use. It's only about 1,800 square inches. For the summer, that's ok. For the winter, it's really pushing it since there's no room for insulating clothes. I really should have space for a good coat, and nylon pants. Also, due to the size limit of the pack, I only partially filled my 2 liter bladder and had one 20oz bottle on the outside. I have water filter, but finding water out there would have been difficult. I'm thinking Condor's biggest pack would be good for organization and capacity.

All in all, it was fun, and a learning experience.

Nick4305, BobsBargains, Lou_G and 4 others like this.
  14. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Hoodies are not enough.
    [​IMG]

Max visibility for the day.
    [​IMG]

Nick4305, BobsBargains, Lou_G and 5 others like this.
  15. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't say I'm surprised at the lack of preparedness. The majority of people haven't got two sweet clues on what they need outside of their small world. How many kids ended up getting sick due to the weather and poor clothing choices that their parents made?

16. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

In a parallel dimension, that would be close to my dream life. :)

17. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Is the title a Spin Doctors reference? Rock on brother man!

18. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Bingo!

19. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Random observation:
    When going through my pack, I realized my most accessible Chem light was expired by 6 years! After reading in Patriots that they dumped expired chemlights, it made me concerned that I was relying on bad stuff.so I cracked it to see if it worked and it did! You can see the blue shining through the wrapper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I could have kept it as a back up

20. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

That's older then I've ever had one but I've rarely had one fail. Interestingly the cheap ones work better. Party type lights from the supermarket work hours longer then advertised and I've recently found mini Chem lights that glow for over 3 days