1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket flashlights?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by AirMech74, Jul 9, 2019.

1. AirMech74

AirMech74 Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking about and looking at different lil flashlights and wonder if I actually need one. I have a thing for flashlights...don't know why, but I dig them....when I was still turning wrenches as an aircraft mech...I had multiple flashlights in my box...now that i'm behind a desk....I only have 2...lol

So anyways....I have been going through the keychain thread....and I gotta ask, how often do you guys actually use those flashlights?

Rob Babcock, John F. and Tony Sal like this.
  2. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I only pocket carry at night if I'm outside. I have a small and a medium sized light in my backpack for emergencies but I seldom need them. I have several Maratac lights in AA and AAA.

Tony Sal likes this.
  3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

For everyday use, I prefer high CRI AAA flashlights. They are almost unnoticeable in the pocket and cover all my normal needs. And I use it a lot. When you are used to have a flashlight in your pocket you just don´t bother to fumble in the dark anymore. Even indoor in decent light, if you loose a small item on the floor, a bright high CRI beam is usually much more effective than the light provided in the room.

The small USB rechargable keychain lights seem to be pretty good for their size, so thats a nice option as well, but I would recommend to keep it separate from your keychain. Thats just me though. I hate keychains in general, but the main reason is that whatever tool you put on your keychain, you will be taking your keys out of your pocket more often. This increases the risk of forgetting your keys or even have them stolen.

4. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I normally carry two flashlights - one pocket and one keychain.
    The pocket is a CR123 size light that I use fairly often. I rarely use the keychain light, but it is the “oh $hit” just in case light. It is so small I barely notice it, but I always have it. If I’m somewhere and need a light, then I have one. I have been caught in an unfamiliar place during a sudden power outage and being able to pull out a flashlight provided piece of mind.

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This is why both my keychain tools are on an s-biner microlock. I can easily take it off and put it back on.

aicolainen, Tony Sal and FiaOlleDog like this.
  6. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Fully agree with @aicolainen - I carry an AAA flashlight (ThruNite Ti3 with Eneloop battery) on my keychain - using a NiteIze S-Biner Microlock like @SOS24 does - and it really shines (pun intended) in different use cases:
    • low light need usually in the middle of the night when strolling the flat or in a hotel room -> sub-lumen firefly mode is great
    • just need some light to search for something or being able to read the fine-print in not so well lit areas -> 10-30 lumen are fine
    • give me all the light I can have right now -> 100+ lumen
    It is much more convenient then using the flash of my smartphone, lasts (much) longer and if the battery runs empty a new one is at hand and ready to go in less than 10 seconds.

Maratac, O-Light, Fenix, NiteCore, ThruNite, etc. all make great AAA flashlights as well as USB rechargeable ones.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Jul 10, 2019
    #6 FiaOlleDog, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    John F., Stryker, AirMech74 and 4 others like this.
  7. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I use this keychain light as a pocket light almost daily, it comes in handy taking a TV off of a wall mount, finding dropped screws in dark corners etc at work and I find it bright enough for just about every other application I need a pocket light for.[​IMG]

8. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Thrunite Ti3 on my key chain. Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery. Never leaves my pocket. It gets used several times a week.

I'm considering getting a backup just in case.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Wishoot, Jul 9, 2019
    #8 Wishoot, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Nick4305, Stryker, FiaOlleDog and 2 others like this.
  9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I agree strongly! My favorite are the Lumintop Tools with the electric switch. I'm currently carrying the brass one that was made for Massdrop.

That's an interesting line of thought. Conversely, the argument could be made that putting the light (and everything else) on a keychain gives you less items with which to keep up. I mostly just hate keychain carry because it creates an unruly mass in your pocket.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Most of my lights are pocket lights regardless how big they are.
    I also carry a few on Keychains but almost never use them as I ALWAYS carry my EDC pocket lights anyway.

Stryker, Elmiro Dungfoot and Tony Sal like this.
  11. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Usually have one of these on, or near me at all times:

[​IMG]

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Outside of home I generally have two lights on my person: a Nitecore Tube or TIP on the s-biner with the car key; a Streamlight Microstream (these days the USB rechargeable one) in my pocket. Although if I'm in a suit, the Streamlight might not be....

Plus in my usual edc bag I have a Streamlight Stylus Pro plus an Streamlight Microstream in the FAK in the bag.

The car has a couple of lights also...;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. Hook

Hook Loaded Pockets

I carry one of the mini mag AAA lights in my pocket. Can also put it on my keychain. I use it daily. Sometimes I carry my olight seeker 2.0 on my belt if I'm out and about at night. But mostly just hangs on my rush 12.

Elmiro Dungfoot and Tony Sal like this.
  14. aicolainen

Yup. And with most doors having keyless access these days, my keychain isn't worthy of EDC pocket space. Yes, there are times when I need my keys, but it's predictable, so the things that get pocket time are the things I could need at any time.
    I hate pocket bulk, so my in-pocket EDC is very minimal, and since this post is somewhat derailing the thread I'll try to describe my setup as quickly as possible.
    In my pockets: wallet, phone, AAA flashlight, chapstick, earplugs, knife or small a multi-tool.
    I have separate keys / keychains so I can adjust to different situations; main keychain with house key and locker keys, biking keychain with house key, bike lock keys and other keys relevant to biking, car keys / fobs are kept individually and not as part of a key chain. The house key can be quickly disconnected if I want to go super light, e.g. for workouts like running, skiing or hiking.
    I don't need any keys at work, so If I bike, drive or commute I keep my required keys / keychains in my backpack.
    On the rear occasion I go driving without a jacket or backpack, I leave my main keychain hidden in the car and, hold on, the car key / fob will actually go in my pant/shorts pocket on such occasions.
    This probably sounds complicated, but it works beautifully. It might not be for everyone, how much we use our keys and how we like to carry them is highly individual, just like everything else we carry.
    I plan on replacing my front door lock with an electronic one quite soon, as the kids will be old enough to come and go as they wish. Then I only have the car keys that I need on a regular basis and key logistics will be simplified even more.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Funny but I do not use a single Keyless lock anywhere in my life if possible.
    Maybe partly because I install and service these but I do not really trust them fully either.

I have seen things.

16. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

To enhance on @EZDog 's "I have seen things": electronic key locks only operate when there is power. How would you unlock a door (to enter your home for example) during a power outage? Those seem to happen more often nowadays.

Working in the IT industry, almost everything electronically / compute-driven can be hacked - often even from remote.
    (Yes, lock picking on the other side is a "challenge" for traditional, no electronic locks - but there are ways to increase the hurdle with those new lock types.)

#16 FiaOlleDog, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  17. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I agree with the minimum "keychains for different uses" as mentioned above.

#17 Tony Sal, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    MatBlack likes this.
  18. aicolainen

Understandably.
    Now, the only place I unlock doors on a regular basis is at work, and office buildings have been using RFID type access for many years. It is what it is, it works and I can't really influence it in any way. It's also extremely practical from both a user perspective and an administrative perspective. With a single key card in my wallet I can enter every room or area at every office site in the country where I'm granted access.

For home use, keyless door locks is not a product I would embrace in its first iteration, but the last few years next to no one has bought regular key locks here in Norway, so the products available today are matured and mass tested to such a degree that the insurance companies have no issues with them. Probably not perfect, but at least it should be safe to assume that the fail rate is acceptable.
    Handing out mechanical keys to everybody and their uncle is not without its pitfalls either, so all in all I think the pros balances or even outweigh the cons.
    ... famous last words maybe:unsure:

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well this is not really what I am talking about and should not be a huge issue normally either.

If a Access Control System is installed correctly with networked controllers then it will have auxiliary backup battery power to prevent this kind of power issue being a factor for normal day to day use.
    I have sure seen systems though not installed to the standard have issues when power goes out but this is hardly the fault of the hardware either.

Home use locks all run on battery power inside the lock and these aim to provide plenty of warning about the battery condition too but of course you need to know this and pay attention and take action as needed to keep these going as well.

I just usually see this type of lock when they are having a problem and this is not the best time to develop a good feeling about the performance of the hardware!

I started with these when they first showed up for Hotel Room systems to replace the use of Keys and can not really get past what I know from that experience.

20. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

I got a 1xAAA Olight I3T last week and I really it. Small enough to ride next to a pen in my shirt pocket.

FiaOlleDog and Tony Sal like this.