1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket EDC BASICS that truly satisfy...

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by dmattaponi, Jan 13, 2021.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

With the forums full of so many collecting threads, I find myself wondering how many forumites actually find satisfaction with some basic everyday carry pocket items, that they use consistently and over time (and actually lose the desire to make that next redundant purchase).

For me...

Pocketknife/multitool- sized for pocket carry.
    Flashlight- single cell and easily pocketable (w/ pocket clip)
    Pen- pocket size and type for durability and no leaks.

There are many, many other options but this is what I’ve found works for me over many years (decades).

These don’t cover every conceivable possibility that can happen to a person on a given day, but they do handle the large majority of things that actually do happen to me every day.

They fit in any normal sized pocket, don’t weigh that much, and generally make life easier and more convenient. I’ve “learned” these through experience.

How bout you...no lists or bags of stuff...no bling (no need to list brand name or cosmetic specifics)...no influence from the forums...just your bare necessities with which you have found contentment based on actual experience...edc items that have won out and proven their real world utility, reliably and consistently over a period of at least multiple years...that fit in one or two pockets at the most...what are they? These are NOT YOUR keys, wallets, watches, or the jewelry, shoes or underwear you are wearing(which are all a matter of dress, or decorum, law, or daily life skills/function)...just your bare bones pocket edc basics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1 dmattaponi, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

AA flashlight, automatic knife 3" partially serrated blade, SAK cadet, butane lighter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  3. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

The vast majority of my EDC is in a backpack specifically because I don't want much in my pockets. It's stuff I want to have available, but dont need often enough to warrant having it on-body. In fact, I can't fit all of my EDC in my pockets: there's just too much stuff, what with the Mora, the 125OT, backup glasses, Nalgene, booboo kit, etc...

So I'm not sure how to approach this thread. If I can't have my bag then the only things in my pockets (sans the things you mention like wallet, keys, etc), are a MachineEra Original pocket pen, a medium folding knife and a slipjoint. My EDC light is a headlamp and not pocket-friendly, but it doesn't need to be because I carry it in a backpack: I don't own a pocket-friendly light.

I guess that's it. I need a blade or a pen far more often than I need anything else. And, much as I hate to go this route, if I need a light there's always the phone, but I always go for the headlamp in my bag first.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aicolainen and dmattaponi like this.
  5. dmattaponi

Yes, the above is what I was attempting to get at in this thread. Just a simple, basic pocket edc . Thanks for sharing.

6. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

This is me most days...
    [​IMG]

HarryD and dmattaponi like this.
  7. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Sub 3" blade knife on me always. Keychain flashlight, Atwood Ghost and phone.

dmattaponi likes this.
  8. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I’m with the OP, knife, light and a small pen.

9. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I try to keep it simple. With me everyday is my phone, wallet, keys (with a small light), and usually a small blade.

If I have room, my extended carry includes a pen, AA flashlight, multitool, and pepper spray.

dmattaponi likes this.
  10. dmattaponi

Here are my basics...
    I’ve had some variation of these basics in my pockets for 30-40+ years, and haven’t found anything better for edc.

When I say some variation, what I mean is that through the years Ive had to replace lost items, or update (for instance making the switch from incandescent to led flashlight).

[​IMG]

#10 dmattaponi, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    MrsCarpenter likes this.
  11. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Saddlback Leather wallet, Buck-Strider SBMF folding knife, keys, phone. That's my entire EDC.

dmattaponi likes this.
  12. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

2.5”-3” pocket knife I prefer lock back or slip joints over liner or frame locks
    A small pocketable non leaky pen
    aaa flashlight
    Wallet
    Phone
    Small notebook
    I’ve carried all of those things for over a decade

13. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

To say anything meaningful about this, I believe some context is in place. On a day to day basis, I will adjust my EDC slightly as to be suited for what I have scheduled for the day, what I'm wearing and even mood to some degree. I find it impractical to carry the exact same items every day, but the functions remain just about the same whatever I choose to carry. On a longer timeline, I will say my EDC has changed in more pronounced ways, depending on life phase and job situation. It surely didn't always look like it does today.

Like I've mentioned before, my pocket/on-body EDC are just convenience items that I don't expect to get me through whatever problem or challenge that might arise. It's just a few items that frequently makes my life easier while not weighing me down (cost vs benefit) and some items that are more or less critical to get through the day (means of payment, means of access, communication, etc.).
    Like @Sentinel-14 , I almost never go anywhere without my backpack. There's nothing nerdy or weirdly prepperish about it, it's just a habit I developed in my school years and I feel naked without it (except on some very hot summer days, of which we have very few of around here). The habit of wearing a backpack will in many cases let my offload items that would otherwise reside in my pockets, so even though I carry more, I feel less weighed down.

The actual items are more or less the usual suspects, and wouldn't surprise anyone:
    - AAA flashlight
    - small folding knife (<3") / small multi tool or both
    - ear plugs
    - chapstick
    - pen/pencil* (I'm getting used to carry a writing implement, and more so with corona, but it's still just an A(lmost)EDC)

Other items I carry on my body, are even less surprising, and fall outside the topic of this thread, but still provides some context:
    - phone
    - door access card for work
    - watch (not sure in what category OP places the watch, but after getting used to wearing a watch again, I can't go back.)
    - wallet (I put the wallet last, because it's not really required in this day and age. Payment cards, drivers license, permits and memberships are all available on my phone. Still, for various reasons, I prefer to have some of my cards available as well. And I have a small prybar in it, that I don't even notice when carried that way, but proves its usefulness occasionally)

Some more context:
    I'm a boring office guy with some occasional lab tasks and work shop projects. And once in a long while I do some field work.
    I think my interest in typical EDC items would have stagnated quite early if it wasn't for my spare time interests, that really provide a much more demanding environment for this type of gear (mostly outdoor stuff). I often default to talk about my work related EDC in these discussions, as it's what most people think about in this context, but actually it's in my spare time I really use my gear and it's mostly that part of my EDC that's driving my continued interest in EDC.

FiaOlleDog, dmattaponi and jcombs like this.
  14. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

As far as EDC basics go , knife and a fire source . I am 59 I have carried these 50+ years. Since small flashlights have developed to be small and reliable I carry one . I was raised that KNOWLEDGE a knife and a way to start a fire will get you through most things From there I add a gun.

dmattaponi likes this.
  15. dmattaponi

I like it...just the basics.

16. dmattaponi

Just an additional thought...

I know when I first heard the term “EDC” in the middle 2000s, I did a lot of reading on the subject. I found many “articles” (sometimes better described as advertisements) containing lists of essential edc items sometimes numbering in the 10s and 20s. I fell into this trap for a while and had to buy pants with cargo pockets, and I filled all those pockets. I then bought bags and backpacks and filled them too...only to slowly realize that I still only really consistently used the basics I mentioned above and had already been carrying for years.

Nowadays, I’m back to these basics and thinking maybe an occasional thread like this one will be an interesting read, and even maybe help some newbie avoid the excess and hone in on some basic, pocketable items that will help them in many expected and unexpected ways.

#16 dmattaponi, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    FiaOlleDog likes this.
  17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Plus phone and sunglasses[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

18. GRH

GRH Loaded Pockets

What an interesting question. First, some context, I teach Math, Science and History in a small town Saskatchewan school. As a result, I have certain things I can't reasonably bring (large knives, multitools, etc) but since I teach Sciences, I often have to light Bunsen burners, fix equipment, an so on.

So for me, these are my satisfying carry:
    1. Pen - I love a good pen, but my current favourite in the pocket is my Pocket fountain pen.
    2. Pencil - I teach math.
    3. Knife - I can get away with a traditional knife, as they are not threatening and seldom large. Plus the feel of a bone-handled knife!
    4. Zippo - A worry stone and fire source for candles, bunsen burners etc. The butane insert is far more practical, but I love that classic insert!
    5. Tool Chain - I don't usually need my keys (small town), but I did up a "tool chain" to cover some eventualities.
      1. SAK Classic - Love the scissors
      2. LM Squirt - Love the pliers
      3. Tiny Flashlight - I have garbage night vision, and since I live in the Great White North, I need to see.
      4. Prybar - it's fine. I often debate having it, as it doesn't bring me joy (to refer to Marie Kondo), but every time I think about removing it, it comes in clutch.
    Neat exercise!

19. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I’ve been EDCing (beyond the basic keys, phone, wallet setup) on and off since my late teens in the late 90-ties. Long before I knew the term “EDC”. Occasionally a knife or a zippo or something even before that time, but only because it was cool, not a necessity.
    I never carried a lot. For many years just a Leatherman and a Photon key ring flashlight (IIRC). Wanted a surefire flashlight in the early 2000s, but couldn’t afford one back then so it never happened.
    Quit carrying tools for a while, even the watch went on a fairly long hiatus with the introduction of more advanced mobile phones. Returned to a similar EDC setups a few times, only occasionally changing the Leatherman to a new model. Never anything fancy, until I discovered EDC by accident in 2016. Seeing all the gear that I had literally been blind to for all those years, especially compact gear with surprisingly high performance, opened some doors to up my game without actually carrying more weight and bulk.
    I’ve always preferred to go light, wearing normal clothes (jeans) and not have much in my pockets, so I’ve been peculiar about adapting my EDC to fit that preference and not the other way around.
    But even though my pocket has remained slim through all this, my drawers have not :rolleyes:
    Discovering EDC at a time when my financial situation was in pretty good shape gave me the opportunity to try out many things over a short period of time and kind of make up for those early days when I couldn’t afford the gear I wanted.
    It was just a phase though. I’ve come to know my preferences and how the EDC market works. It’s not like my drawers are empty yet, but these days I’m selling more than I’m buying, so it’s moving in the right direction ;)

dmattaponi likes this.
  20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

My Journey is pretty much the exact opposite really.
    I work in the field and try to always be ready to do repairs as needed and have long tried to streamline enough EDC to be able to be ready to go at all times.

So it was a Gerber Pinchy when I first discovered them and it has been all downhill from there!

Now though I try to only carry a MT Batman style on my belt when working and only carry a knife and 2 lights minimum the rest of the time.
    Seeing is more difficult and an absolute priority for me overall and I have to have extra light on call no matter what.