1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pocket Books--What are the essentials?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Rawls, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

So I have seen a couple different essential pocket books, but I wanted to get a consensus opinion.

What would you recommend for:

1) A guide to survival
    2) A guide to first aid/medical care
    3) Random goodness
    4) Anything else

Certainly the Pocket Ref has to be one of the essential books. I have also seen quite a few BOBs on the forum that include the SAS Handbook.

Any suggestions?

2. brianwhynot

brianwhynot Loaded Pockets

I like Backcountry First Aid and Extended Care, by Buck Tilton. It's compact, but full of useful information. The Pocket Ref is another great one. You'll never tear pages from Encyclopedia Britannica again.

...Unless you're into that sort of thing, I guess.

3. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Most aren't pocket books, but GREAT reads... worth having a few in your home library.

Bushcraft - Mors Kochanski
    SAS Survival Handbook & SAS Survival Guide (Pocket Book Size) - John Wiseman
    98.6 Degrees - Cody Lundin
    Be Expert with Map & Compass: The Complete Orienteering Handbook by Björn Kjellström

Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living - John and Geri McPherson
    Camping and Woodcraft - Horace Kephart
    How to survive anywhere - Christopher Nyerges
    Outdoor Survival Skills - Larry Dean Olsen
    Primitive Living, Self Sufficiency and Survival Skills, by Thomas J. Elpel

4. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

I'm sure these are great reads, but be wary of the ones that advise you to use your knive on a stick to spear fish :green:, build plastic sheet water stills :green: and teach you to build fancy shelters :green: that will require more physical effort, time, and ingenuity than are worth the benefits.

98.6 degrees by LUNDIN is probably the best book on the subject (wilderness survival)-bar none. Granted he doesn't talk about trapping-like you will really end up doing that; The focus is the MOST REALISTIC scenario of survivng 72-120 hours; not for the guy who wants to disappear into the woods for months and practice kendo. :)

I'm currently reading When All Hell Breaks Loose (urban survival); parts of it literally leave me speechless-it's that great of a read; some sections absolutely not for the feint of heart (proper disposal of corpses/rat kabob) etc...

For a real kick in the gut, go to YouTube, type in Cody Lundin and watch all of his videos, including the 26 min. radio interview.

5. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I was going to download some e-books to my PDA, which is fine untill the batteries die. :)

6. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

I've got the Pocket Ref, a copy of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution from the Heritage Foundation, and a copy of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations in my EDC bag.

7. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

I like Tom Browns survival books.

xtrajack likes this.
  8. TDEngines

TDEngines Empty Pockets

http://www.pocketguides.net/pocketguides.html - Available in some stores and www.amazon.com - made of plastic and not much larger than a deck of cards.

The US Army Survival Manual is available in more than one electronic format and can be stored in a PDA/Smartphone type gadget. Also, there are one or two first aid type applications for the Palm OS (haven't used a Palm in a few years, so forget the details, and there may be newer ones than I used).

The SAS Survival Guide Handbook comes in a pocket size version, again, about the size of a deck of cards.

9. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, TDEngines. Thanks for the tips.

10. mahler9

mahler9 Banned

My pocket Constitution and Declaration of Independence is from the Cato Institute - not only is it from an organization that is non-partisan, but the quality far exceeds the Heritage version. Plus Cato won't try and hit you up for donation money after sending you the book. ;)

I have pocket-sized cards printed on waterproof National Geographic paper - first-aid, contacts, and survival stuff. They fit nicely in a pocket or bag - all contain solid info and no superfluous fluff found in some pocket guides.

11. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

I bought the Collins Gem SAS Survival Handbook thanks to this thread. More than worth the $10 I paid for it, recommended to all! The tip of killing an octopus by turning it inside out really struck a chord with me for some unknown reason.

12. bjjprepared

bjjprepared Loaded Pockets

:iagree: about the octopus part in the SAS survival guide. I just bought the smaller one today even though i have the big one already. This little book is great.

13. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

+1 on the Pocket Reference (3rd edition)

14. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

I'd think you could kill pretty much anything by turning it inside out. :laugh:

Chuck Norris Light likes this.
  15. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Actually, turning an octopuss's head inside out will not kill it, but rather imobilize. Ok, eventually it will die, but that is also true for keeping it out of the water.

(Anyone related to fishing knows that. More important, how to cook it to get a tender, instead of rubbery texture? Freeze it before boiling, and choose smaller specimens.)

16. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

Interesting... Guess I'll have to whack the unlucky cephalopod a few times as well if the situation arises. You could eat it raw a la Oldboy (man, that's the second time I've referred to that film on this forum... :shrug: guess I like it more than I thought).

With the exception of the octopus, amen to that. :highfive: Almost sounds like a motto.

What's the difference between the 3rd edition and the normal one? I've searched around a bit, but can't find any definitive comparison between the editions.

17. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

Since it's inception in 1996, the Pocket Ref is now in it's 3rd printing, with even more information and updates that incorporate some of the latest discoveries. As far as I am aware, the 2002 3rd Edition is the latest version out right now. By comparison, the 2nd Edition had 542 pages. The 3rd Edition has 768 pages. So depending on what Edition you have, the answer could be "quite a lot".

I'm assuming most people know what this book is. It's an amazing compilation of facts, tables, charts, conversions, and factoids from all the science, engineering, physics, mathematics and construction trade disciplines. Some describe it as a mini-encyclopedia or almanac. For me, it's like a little pocket cheat sheet so you don't have to memorize endless tables and formulas. The thing is, it's actually very practical and useful in the field. I highly recommend it. Check it out.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Ref-Thomas-J-Glover/dp/1885071337/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231948154&sr=1-1

18. redandshane

redandshane Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the idea for my signature on EDCF