1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Plumbing answers...ask the A-team

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by SAKplumber, Nov 3, 2013.

1. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

right and it has been intermittent for a few days

2. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Do you have well or city water? JR

3. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

4. themadplumbarian

Air could have gotten in the lines, same with sand or a grit that could cause the aerator to clog, and only that sink because that was the appliance you used do to timing. But nothing came out,, the only other way both h/c could neither work would be if the main line clogged, but everything else worked, so I'm kinda stumped, that and I just woke up, imi not fully awake so sorry if this doesn't make sense? JR

5. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I'd buy you a cup of coffee if you were closer ;)

6. themadplumbarian

Np, if I think of anything I'll let you know, thanks for the coffe, but I'll pass, yuck.. But teas good, lol.. Let us know if anything else happens.. JR

7. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Proud of Myself, Replaced bad 1" sprinkler valves just to find out I have a mix of brands. Managed to cut out an extra valve in place not used, too bad a rock or something was right under it. Spent 2 hours cutting that out with an handheld hacksaw blade, yes in the underground box (I know there is a term for those).I even lost 3 pounds working on that in the hot sun. works this morning.

8. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Very random questions - we bought a new house with a flush assist system installed in one the toilets in the powder room.

1. Would this be indicative that there was an issue with this toilet clogging if it was installed or do some people just install them? Never seen in a residential home before.

2. The floor is hardwood and there is definitely signs of minor past water damage and moisture - doesn't seem to be currently leaking, but would the flush assist be blasting moisture out where the toilet meets the floor on every flush? There is always a massive blast of air. Or is more likely that this was before the flush assist system was installed?

3. Can the pressure created from the air blast on flush do long term damage to our pipes? Like over time? It just seems so overly powerful. Again, I've never seen this in a residential home.

Are these systems desirable? Any benefit to removing?

Here is a link to the unit we have

https://www.flushmate.com/benefits/

Thanks in advance - this is definitely a great thread!!!

9. themadplumbarian

Ok, I never installed them, but there just a typical install compared to a standard toilet. Some people just install them, another thing is where it's installed, the water damage might not be do to that toilet, it cold be do to the last one, if the room it's installed in is really humid the tank will sweat, "a lot"! this toilets tank doesn't allow the water inside to touch the tank, thus not allowing the tank to get cold and well, it's not going to sweat, and have water to drip on the floor.. As for the damage to the pipes, they should be fine, the pressure that the toilet builds up is only going to be that of what your sink pushes out, just a little more volume, the only seal I would worry about would be that of where the toilet sits on the floor, cause that's only going to be wax or one of the newer foam rings? Hope this helps, any other questions just ask away.. JR

ViennaGambit likes this.
  10. ViennaGambit

Fantastic - thank you very much!

Follow up - So if I'm getting a moisture reading where the bowl meets the floor (but no real visable signs other than the meter picking it up), and if this bowl doesn't sweat, what would your thoughts be as to where the moisture would be coming from? Something to worry about?

You rock and thanks again!

11. themadplumbarian

If you see water at the seal between the bowl and floor then you might need a new wax ring or newer foam ones. Unless you feel around bowl and find sweat from somewhere.. Other thing would be to check the floor below it, look up and see if it's dripping.. Try this, just flush it about five times in a row, then look around, feel around and see if anything gets wet, then go from there.. JR

ViennaGambit likes this.
  12. ViennaGambit

Perfect - thanks!!

13. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Removed the filter and it seems to work. Bought a new filter yesterday and it works, but sounds a bit like air in the line when first turned on.

14. themadplumbarian

Which filter, the main house filter? No mater which, there is going to be air in the line until it gets flushed out, but normally that should only take a few seconds, best off at running each faucet also.. JR

15. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Nope. The little one in the faucet. About the width of a dime.

16. themadplumbarian

Right were the water comes out, that's the aerator.
    JR

17. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Funny, I asked the guy at HD for that and he called it a filter :)

18. pumpmaster

pumpmaster Loaded Pockets

Here's a quick one- wife would like a new fridge with water/ice dispenser. How big of a job is it to run the necessary water line? Just trying to ballpark cost. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

19. themadplumbarian

All depends where the closest waterline is, it took me being a plumber an hour, but that was because I had to drill a hole in the floor, then go under the floor in a crawl space, then back up under the sink, then attach it to plumbing.. If the fridge is near a waterline they sell kits, all you have to do is attach the tubing to the fridge, then use what's called a saddle valve, it clamps on a pipe, then you twist it and it pierces a hole into the pipe for water flow, done in 10min. As for the kit cost, $5-$20 depending on what type of kit.. JR

pumpmaster likes this.
  20. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

My HOA Sprinkler system is 1" pipe and the valves are small maybe 2 x 2" held down with #8 screws? Two have pinhole or 1/8" holes and and shoot water up about 5'. I think one is leaking by the screw. I am guessing I should replace these now. or can it go a while??