1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Please help me decide between left handed knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Miklos86, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Miklos86

Miklos86 Empty Pockets

Hello All!

I'm looking to purchase my first quality knife for EDC. My preferences:
    - One hand opening with the left hand
    - Blade length not more than 80 mm or 3.15 inches (legal limit in Hungary for public carry). Not much less as I prefer the longest possible.
    - Good quality steel, budget not an issue

My current candidates:
    - Benchmade 595 Mini Boost: I like that the Axis system appears to fit left handers and it has assisted opening.
    - Kizer Gemini Left Handed: the blade is just the right length and the titanium handle is nice, but not sure about the frame lock. I love titanium as handle material.
    - Spyderco Delica: looks great, but the steel appears to be of lower grade and not sure how it is operable with left hand.

Any input is appreciated. Unfortunately I cannot see them in person before ordering. Thank you for your time.

#1 Miklos86, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    A.B. likes this.
  2. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

I'm left handed... I have many ambidextrous knives (axis lock) or left handed Spyderco PM2s or Chris Reeve Sebenzas. You can't go wrong with those...

BLJace, A.B. and ccwaters like this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Miklos86: The Spyderco Delica is a lock back knife and therefore the lock is absolutely ambidextrous! For that matter so are several other Spyderco knives which are in the same design 'family' as the Delica (the Endura and the new Endela for example). Also Spyderco's 'budget' lines (e.g. the Byrd subsidiary) include several lock back designs.

For that matter, any lock back from any knife maker will be ambidextrous.

Regarding the steel on the Delica, the Endura, etc. Spyderco usually uses VG-10 steel as the 'standard' on these. No, it is not one of the most high end steels. But it has been in use for a number of years and has a good reputation for ease of sharpening and for edge retention for 'average' edc use. As a first 'quality' edc knife, VG-10 should perform very well for you.

As far as more advanced steels, one of the things about Spyderco is that they do fairly regularly come out with variants using different steels and sometimes 'sprint runs' (meaning short production runs) using higher end steels. Something to keep in mind for future collecting... which ALL of us on here will be pleased to cheer you on towards! :)

Have fun. Welcome to our addiction!

Moshe ben David

Miklos86, BLJace and That Movie Guy like this.
  4. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

As another Southpaw @HeadOffice pretty much covered it, I'll add my input! Spyderco knives are pretty easy to get used to with the compression lock, as far as true left handed spydies readily available is the PM2, Smock is a real joy to use as a lefty, any of the axis lock knives will offer a lefty the same experience as a righty. Your size requirement leaves out many options. Left handed Kizer Gemini is a nice one unfortunately on a bad day it might be a prob.. 3.125 blade :(

For myself I just buy what I like regardless of clip options, or left handed lock mechanisms. It really is not that hard to use the majority of right handed knives as a lefty, pocket clip orientation does not bother me at all, I carry it where I want, and speed of access difference is pretty minimal.

My rule of thumb is to just get used to right handed knives, and buy what you like!

I carry and use these the most, and not a single one is left handed, matter of fact, after getting used to right handed lock bars I don't care for left handed.

[​IMG]

Kizer Gemini (Laconico design)

[​IMG]

Last edited by ccwaters, Sep 19, 2019
    #4 ccwaters, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  5. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

Can't go wrong with Benchmade Axis lock or Spyderco lockbacks. I had a Delica and got rid of it, only because I wasn't carrying it as much as others. Have several Benchmade Mini Grips, the 707 is also a nice smaller knife. Spyderco G-10 Dragonfly and Native 5 also make regular appearances in my rotation.
    Edit: Also, don't forget the Mini-Barrage. It was my first Benchmade and is assisted opening. They have customization available on it now as well I believe.

6. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

If you're already considering the Delica, you should really take a look at the Spyderco Chaparral FRN (lightweight). It has better steel (CTS XHP), slim design and deep carry wire clip. It has the sliciest blade I ever had. It cuts like a laser. And its only slightly more expensive than a Delica. If you want a fidget toy go for the Axis lock, but if you're in the market for a well made, high quality, value for money, slicing machine that also has a touch of "gentleman's knife", look no further.
    No matter how much of a ****head cop you risk coming a cross, this should be a safe choice. The maximum length of exposed steel I can measure from handle to tip is about 76mm. It also has some of the least murdery looks you can find in a modern folder, so you should need to be quite clumsy to get yourself into trouble with this one ;-)

BLJace and Moshe ben David like this.
  7. BLJace

BLJace Loaded Pockets

I'm a huge supporter of Spyderco, and if you're looking at a delica but concerned about steel quality. They also offer one in ZPD-189, it's a tad more expensive but it's an impressive steel.

Clips on the delica can be changed around, tip up, tip down, lefty, and righty. So it can suit pretty much anyone. Grab a deep carry clip and it's so lightweight it disappears.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Hogue is partnering with Doug Ritter to make the RSK Mk1-G2 with an ABLE lock (very similar to the Axis lock). It’s fully ambidextrous and made with M390 (early production) or 20CV (current production) steel. I like mine a lot. And after I abused the heck out of mine, Hogue insisted on fixing it for free.

Disclosure: I’m the admin for Doug’s Equipped to Survive Forum site. I have no financial affiliation with Doug or Hogue.

9. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

I have the M390 early production and the limited run coated version as well. Great knives, but I believe it may be longer than the OP is looking for.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

You’re right — it’s 7mm too long.

11. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Dad is a southpaw and carries a lefty boker kalashnikov but it's 3.25 inches long and auto

12. redhawk44357

redhawk44357 Loaded Pockets

I am a lefty and the only lefty knife I have is a spyderco military which pairs nicely with my right handed millie.. My 2 cents.

13. Miklos86

Miklos86 Empty Pockets

Thank you very much for all of your detailed answers. I'm sorry I seemed to just ask and leave, but my daughter was borne and my priorities got rearranged swiftly.

That said I will not sweat over left handed stuff, most knives should do fine. Looking over the candidates with a fresh eye the Benchmade appeals the most. Will give update and pics when I pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

chaosmagnet, Adahn and timcyms like this.
  14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Miklos86: Understandable... Mazel Tov on the birth of your daughter! Hope she and your wife are doing well!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

chaosmagnet likes this.
  15. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Moshe ben David likes this.