1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

[Please Help Me Choose] My First EDC Bag!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by neurand, Mar 11, 2013.

1. neurand

neurand Empty Pockets

Hello EDCF,

Wish I could say I've been a long time lurker, but in fact this quest for a bag I could carry every day has, wouldn't you know it, led me here. I've never had a real EDC bag before, only "typical" backpacks, but I'm quite tired of that. This EDC bag will be with me almost 24/7, as my day to day school bag, but also for hiking, camping, and travelling. I wouldn't say I'm terribly rough with how I've treated my bags in the past, but they have a way of falling apart. I've never had a bag with Cordura or anything of the sort, so I may be overestimating my destructive tendencies when compared to a real EDC bag.

I've read the most recent (10+) pages of this sub-forum, and between that and my own searching, I've narrowed my choices down to a short list. Below, I'll list my list, as well as what I value in a bag, then maybe if I was so lucky and you were so nice, you'd help me pick one (that I've listed or otherwise.)

The short list, in order of my most preferred:
    Goruck Radio
    Tom Bihn Synapse
    Mystery Ranch Streetfighter
    Duluth Trading Fire Hose/Leather Backpack
    Goruck GR1
    [The shrouded-in-mystery Tom Bihn Large Synapse]

What I value in a bag, in order of my highest valued:
    Two Straps
    1000-1500 cu. in. (~15-25L)
    Not covered with Molle/PALS (A little is alright)
    Not loaded with things I won't use (10 compartments, 15 zippers, etc. Simple is good)
    Laptop Sleeve (I like being able to unzip one pocket and remove my laptop)
    Durable (As in, I will not have to buy a bag to replace this for 10+ years)
    Built-In Organization (If it has it, great, if not, I'll organize it myself)
    Price ($300 is my very uppermost limit, but I will keep this bag forever so its justifiable)
    I think that covers it, thanks so much for all your help thus far! You guys are better than you realize at helping lurkers like me gather information. Now I just need to resist the urge to get more gear...
    TL;DR: Which bag on my short list should I get?

2. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I'm gonna go with goruck echo cause mine should be here today and there's been nothing but good things said about goruck in general. Not to mention molle on the inside!!!!!!

3. yakuzaboss

yakuzaboss Loaded Pockets

From your shortlist, I would go with MR Streetfighter, TB Synapse or GR1.

4. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

Good luck on your search. Just when I think I found one that I want I end up changing my mind and not really wanting to EDC a bag at all. For the longest I wanted the MP Fatboy but now I think I want a messenger type bag. I should have gotten that Swiss Gear messenger bag I saw a few weeks ago. Oh well. :)

5. Chubb

Chubb Loaded Pockets

I have the Radio Ruck, the older one with more capacity. Perfect EDC bag

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

You should narrow your list down to the GR1 and the larger Synapse. And then wait for the larger Synapse to get released before you pull the trigger. That's my advice to you.

bigfoot likes this.
  7. neurand

neurand Empty Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. After learning that that the larger Synapse will be 25L (via a tweet from Tom Bihn on March 7th) and that there is already at least one floating around their factory, I think I'll hold off until they're released. It seems foolish to pull the trigger on something I'll have for so long when a "better one" (or at least one better suited to my needs) could be released so soon.

So, TARFU, about that 2nd review you were trying to get lined up for this month...
    (Tangentially related: Your blog is awesome!)