1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Please help find a headlamp

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Steelsopr, Sep 30, 2017.

1. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

As others have said the TH20 is a great single AA headlamp.

I find this statement somewhat at odds with my own experience. Moonlight is my most used setting when in the field. When my eyes are dark adapted I need very little illumination to see what I'm doing and blasting with high just blinds me.

My personal experience around others is pretty similar. I know people who thru-hiked with nothing more than a Photonlight or similar that tops out around 5 lumens. I almost never see someone using 500+ settings around camp.

Why would you fiddle with the settings? You pick one sub-setting for L/M/H & leave it. That gives you three modes that have been customized to fit your needs.

FiaOlleDog and jag-engr like this.
  2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I wonder how I've missed this light. It looks like a real winner - compatible with both AA and 14500, good UI, solid construction, affordable, and available in NW!

BigGreenTick and FiaOlleDog like this.
  3. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Maybe because there are sooo many (most good) lights on the market? :)

If you need more power: ThruNite launched the TH30 - to replace the TH10 (both use 18650) but with a 90 degree angle for the head, similar to the popular Zebra flashlights.

Also it seems like a great light I stick with the TH20, which is enough for my outdoor use cases and is fine with standard AA (Eneloops preferred of course) batteries.

BigGreenTick likes this.
  4. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Wowtac A2s - 1000 lumen turbo, good simple UI with memory for low-med-high and shortcuts to moonlight and turbo. usable as normal handheld flashlight, comes with usb-rechargeable 18650 battery included for only 30$. Best bang for the buck at the moment.

If you want AAA or AA, have a look at Manker. But the USB recharge is so convenient and you get so much more runtime and power from an 18650, you should really consider the wowtac, especially because you basically get it for the same price as any other proper AA/AAA light.

5. FiaOlleDog

While I agree with @flux in regards to power / runtimes on 18650 powered flashlights I would question the usefulness of USB recharging: most (all?) USB rechargeable flashlights don't work during recharging.

According to Murphy's Law one runs out of battery when needing it most ... a second battery you can swap for the empty one is my choice. Of course this can also be a 2nd 18650.

The 1st 18650 gets charged later / with a separate USB charger ... which makes the built-in USB recharge option kind of useless for "while in use".

If your use case can be satisfied with a single 18650 and you just want an easy recharge option (18650 inside flashlight), than it's a great way to do so.

BTW: if you want micro USB recharging, there is an alternative to a flashlight with this capability - some 18650 batteries provide a micro USB recharging option with a built-in port and electronics. Never tried one (and would be carefully watching it while recharging), and could be less mAh capacity, but just wana mention it.

Disclaimer: I also own an 18650 flashlight that has a built-in micro USB recharge port ... and got stuck in above mentioned scenario, of course without a 2nd 18650 at hand to swap :censored:

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Nov 7, 2018
    #25 FiaOlleDog, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    BigGreenTick likes this.
  6. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

the Wowtac A2s has one of these batteries with built-in USB charger. 3400 mAh, 3.6V

Of course Murphy's Law applies always, but the way I use this 18650 headlight is to have it in a coat pocket or in a bag if I am working or on vacation or know I will be long out at night. Before and after heavy use, I will of course recharge the battery as soon as I am home or find a way to charge it. Since it can use Micro-USB, I can do this even in my car, with my phone charger from my bag or with a powerbank.

Also Murphy's Law says that even when you have your backup battery, you will probably drop your light somewhere in the dark and break or lose it before you can change the battery ;)

So I have a AA or AAA flashlight always on me anyway, because better than a backup battery is a backup light. The longer runtime of an 18650 compared to 2 or 3 AA batteries (we don't talk about AAAs, they have very short runtimes on High Modes with a single AAA in them. As soon as you get 3xAAA cages, you can use a 18650 anyway) makes it unneccessary to carry a backup battery if you keep it even half-charged in your bag or coat and locked the light out, because it will still be brighter and run longer than your typical AA light with your backup battery combined. If I ever should run so dry, that 18650 won't even power the low or moonlight mode, I can still use my AAA or AA EDC for a few hours to get home or while it is recharging.

Still my best AA cranks out only 200 lumen for maybe 2 hours, any AAA is dry after 20 minutes of 180 lumen, but a 18650 will do that forever, but can also put out 500 or 1000 lumen if I need it, which is great. No AA can put out that much light. Unless the light diameter size is a concern, there's no reason you should not carry a 18650 these days when you know you will be in the dark or without electricity for longer time, because charging got so much more convenient thanks to micro USB and you can get them just as cheap as a quality AA light.

the A2s can put out 24 lumens continously for 4 whole days, 126 lumen for 15 hours, that is two whole nights. I am hard pressed to run out of power during one weekend camping. Even If you run high mode of 420 lumen, you can do this 4.7 hours.. should be plenty.

If you carry an AA and one or two backup batteries, it will weigh about as much as a 18650 light, have the same volume, but you have less runtime even with all your batteries combined and less maximal power. So from this, I just prefer the 18650 because it is more space efficient and has more max output and will still have a small backup light in AAA or AA size for convenience or to hand it to someone if more light is needed.

here's a good read why you want a 18650 light even if you think you don't..
    https://www.reddit.com/r/18650masterrace/comments/3cb6sx/you_want_an_18650_flashlight_even_if_you_think/

Last edited by flux, Nov 7, 2018
    #26 flux, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    FiaOlleDog likes this.
  7. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Thanks. This thread reminded me I needed a new headlamp.

Just ordered a Zebralight H602. They are normally $89, on sale now for $59.

It will be my third Zebralight, joining a SC52 and SC63.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@flux: anyone who can and does cite Murphy as much as you is alright in my book! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. FiaOlleDog

Correct. So is my setup (at least somewhat) prepared for this: Ti3 (AAA) for EDC pocket carrying, and a TH20 bag carrying. Yes, they use different battery types (AAA vs. AA) but that's the compromise i need to make to have the Ti3 on my key-chain where portability is key (literally) besides enough brightness and okay runtimes vs. the TH20 which should give up to 200 lumens and/or multiple hours of use.

And yes, both are equipped with Eneloop Pro - plus a spare Lithium battery of each size is also part of the bag setup (in assumption that I only would need to use it if in serious need for light or in freezing temperatures where NiMH and alkalines seems to pass out quickly).

10. JLeePhoto

JLeePhoto Loaded Pockets

Agree with all this. I’ve got a drawer full of headlamps that get distributed to the rest of the family during hurricanes, but my Zebralights go where I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk