1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Please help find a headlamp

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Steelsopr, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Steelsopr

Steelsopr Empty Pockets

Hello
    Please help me find a good head lamp for camping. I am looking for something light that uses AAA or AA bateries, does not have separate battery case in the back, it should be one integrated unit. I plan to use it during camping and repair work on my car.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    [x ] I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :broke:
    [ x] $1-200

4) Format:
    PART A
    [ ] I want a headlamp.

PART B
    Length:
    [ ] 1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
    [ ] 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

PART C
    Width:
    [ ] Doesn't matter.

PART D
    Weight:
    lighter the better

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [ ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

6) What batteries do you want to use?
    [ ] I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
    [ ] I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.

Throw (distance)----------------------|---------x-------------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime:
    The longer the better

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
    [ ] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

11) Switch Type:
    [ ] I don't care.

12) Switch Location:
    [ ] I don't care.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    [ ] I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?
    [ ] I don't care.

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

[ ] Waterproof – how deep: rain
    [ ] Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I've got a Fenix hl30 that does just that. Also got a red led if that makes a difference (it didn't to me - I was after a AA headtorch that was compact and could live in a glove box).

3. amspratt

amspratt Loaded Pockets

The Zebralight H53 sounds like it would fit the bill. High in excess of 300 lumens, lows so dim they’ll last for months on a single cell. Programmable, indestructible, lightweight (31 grams without battery or headband), and pretty affordable ($59). By far my favorite lights for all purposes. I have three, and wouldn’t part with any of them. I recommend the Fw (neutral white with frosted lens for flood).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLeePhoto and steeps like this.
  4. sc00ts

sc00ts Loaded Pockets

ZL H53 is a great light. If you want to dabble in the angle head lights to see if you like them, the manker e02h (aaa) and e03h (aa) are a great value at $25.00 usd. They have instant access to moonlight, turbo, and last used brightness. I edc the e02 and highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I have a Fenix HL10 headlamp. Good general purpose light that runs on a single AAA. I've used it for many activities from camping, dog walking, car repair, power outages, jogging etc.

The big plus with this light is it's miniscule weight; it's about 2 oz total. It's detachable from the headband as well if you need something small for pocket carry.

Obviously being an AAA option it's geared to being a lightweight and comfortable choice with moderate brightness. It's not super bright and run time is only about an hour on its highest setting, although you likely could push 75 minutes with a lithium or Eneloop Pro. The low modes obivously last much longer. For casual use this suits me well.

6. mash4077

mash4077 Loaded Pockets

I have the exact one and use it all the time. I love that it also has the red led.

7. Steelsopr

Steelsopr Empty Pockets

I assumed Zebralight would come up. I considered it, but in truth it is not a very good camping light or a working light. The fact that it has an offset from the center,means you can not actually use it under the car. When you lighting up an object 30-40 cm in front of you, small off center light works just fine, but when you are under you car and have the steering rod 10cm in front of you, it is really irritating to have the light to the right from where you are looking. In camping situation there are just 2 ligh modes are used, high to take a good look for snakes and bugs before sitting down and medium that should be around 40-50lm to see what are you doing or where you are going. low 1 lm option maybe good for survival, but I never saw anybody used it in real life ever. Programable part of Zebra that has me concerned, on paper looks good but fidling with the programable setings during the night in a camp is a bad idea.
    Manker E03h looks better, I have not heard about it before, Thank you for the tip. besides being offcet it has the perfect modes for camping. 50lm medium with 7,5Hrun time is ideal, it last one full evening. Desent high and turbo.
    HL10 not bad, but the same ofcenter issue and all my other flash lights are AA, so I do not want to go off same selection.
    I also considered Fenix HL30, but my concern was the pivot hindge, from past experinse those things get worn out and damadged really quick. I was thinking getting a HL35, which has similar settings also runs on 2AA, but has a different rotating mechanism.
    Anybody has any experinse wih those?
    HL21 and HL23 are also on the table, but HL21 is discontinued and impposible to find.HL23 has all the features, only reason I am leaning towards the HL35 is because of run time on med setting. I do not like to change batteries when it is dark all around and you need to turn off the source of light.
    The same reason I did not like the ThruNite TH20.

8. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I got the four sevens headlamp mount for my mini 123.. Super lite, comfortable, adjustable and I can use the flashlight to fill multiple roles.. Cost effective, and with the adaptability of the headlamp assembly can fit a wide assortment of their lights

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

9. corrsk

corrsk Loaded Pockets

Streamlight sidewinder compact ii. It runs off cr123, or aa or aaa. Durable. Can be a hand light or clipped onto something in addition to being worn as a headlamp. Can be found under $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have an olight h1 that i totally love. If i lose or break it I'll buy a new one that very same day.

Yes the lightsource is naturally placed off center but you can just wear it to the side a bit so the actual emitter sits straight on your head. Sure it will shine to the side a tiny little bit but honestly closeup you will not be able to tell. The shorter the light the less you will even notice it sitting to the side like this.

Olight doesn't make an aa or aaa version so that option is out but i can imagine a zebralight being just a nice given their reputation.

11. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Fenix and Zebra Lights come to mind and are very good options. Black Diamond would also be worth a look or two.

I've tried common hiking modles like Petzl Tikka and Tactikka, but ended with a Thrunite TH20: single AA battery, variable brightness, instant low and high mode, rock solid and affordable.

And no, I'm not sponsored by Thrunite - purchased stuff myself from my own earned money :frantic:

Towanda likes this.
  12. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I really liked the looks of the Manker E03H. I purchased four as gifts for a group that was going on a trip with me. In use, the mode spacing is just about perfect and the sliding diffuser is very handy.

However, my wife's E03H recently jammed. The button shifted sideways after it was clicked down, got stuck, and doesn't work. I will be trying out their warranty service, I guess, but the button seems like a weak link to me.

13. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Sadly it seems like there's been a few reliability complaints I've heard with this light. It's a shame because this light would be the total package, but I'm a bit weary of all the issues I've read about it.

14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If reliability is critical to your application, consider the Maratac TPF AA. It is a twisty, so it takes a little bit of fiddling to engage, but there are fewer potential failure mechanisms.

15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If I could throw another option into the mix...

You might want to look at the UCO Gear headlamps. They use either a Li-Ion rechargeable cell or AAA cells. Their best point (IMO) is that they have a dial to activate and adjust the light. Nothing is easier or more intuitive to use for a headlamp than a single dial.

16. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Petzl Actik.

17. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I like to throw in another option. just get some elastic band about 20-30mm wide, cut a pice off and sew it on so you can just stick through an AA or AAA light of your choice. either make a loop the size of your head or add a plastic for adjustment. takes less than 5 minutes to make and you can use all kinds of your EDC lights as a headlight. if they have some knurling, it even works withough a clip.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  18. Donald

Donald Loaded Pockets

A lot of good headlamps and ideas mentioned here. I don't have them so I cannot compare. My favorite does not meet your specified power requirements, but I'm going to mention it anyway in the event your requirements change or someone else is interested. Further,its non-rechargeable sibling has been mentioned above. My favorite headlamp is the Olight H1R Nova in neutral white version. It has a TIR beaded lens for a wide even beam.

You may reposition the holder on the strap or just turn the strap to center the wide beam for your wrenching requirements. Since it uses a rechargeable CR123a battery, that keeps it short centering is not a big issue.Since you just attach the magnetic charging cable to a port, you do not need to worry too much about the battery type. I would get a spare or two for backup though. One caveat, some links to it seem to be disappearing so perhaps a new model is coming. Olight did just come out with their 1.8oz S1R Baton II (which will clip onto a cap/hat), so maybe the H1R will have a "II" version also.

With respect to the strap idea above. I short circuited the process by getting an extra Olight H2R Nova headband. It is a heavier light so needs a over the head strap. After staring at it for a while I realized the strap buckles had slits in them, allowing the removal. If you only have one take a picture before proceeding. The reason, I liked the magnetic hold, with pull over security strap, that made quick on and off of the light easy. After all the H1R Nova makes a dandy little pocket light. The modified H2R strap will work with the H1R or if placed on the side, a flashlight.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  19. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Just a consideration to keep in mind - for those who wear glasses, they are likely to get reflection in the lenses with this method.

20. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I'll add another vote for the Thrunite TH20. I have one and I love it. It's around $20. It takes either a single AA or a 14500 rechargeable battery. It turns on at the last brightness setting you used. Brightness is infinitely adjustable between one and ~500 lumens; hold down the button to adjust and let go when it's at the brightness level you need. It has a 0.6 lumen moonlight mode that's great for a night light inside a tent or a motel/hotel room.

FiaOlleDog likes this.