1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Please Help Find a 4+ inch bladed folder for me

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jkpq45, Dec 9, 2014.

1. jkpq45

jkpq45 Empty Pockets

Options include Spyderco Resilience so far. Cold Steel Espada XL is a bit too XL :)

I would love to see an option from Kershaw but can't find one.

Help is appreciated!
    jkpq45

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Isn't the Kershaw needs work really big? I'm not really into folders that large so I won't be much help, sorry :(

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

Price range?

4. jkpq45

jkpq45 Empty Pockets

I looked up the "Needs Work" by Kershaw--sweet knife, but 3" blade.

As far as price range goes--sub-$100. Or more if it's worth it. Looking for a factory blade though.

5. Stinger

Stinger Banned

You know, I've always liked the X-Large, Cold Steel Espada; but, every time I've have the money I ended up spending it on something else. Amazon presently sells them for, like, $265.00.

NOTES: Just so you know: You get what you pay for. The Espada comes in three different sizes; so you don't have to be like me, and long for the biggest folding blade you can find. Either the large-sized Espada with a 5 1/2 inch blade, or the medium-sized Espada with a 3 1/2 inch blade might meet your needs.

However, be aware that the Walker-designed liner-lock on the Spyderco Renaissance is nowhere near the equal of the superior Cold Steel, 'Tri -Ad' lock on the Espada. (Many years ago I learned not to ever trust anybody's knife with only a liner-lock for the user's protection; but, hey, they're your fingers - Not mine!)

Last edited by Stinger, Dec 9, 2014
    MedusaOblongata and ManVsLawn like this.
  6. kdurt

kdurt Loaded Pockets

My favorite size. I have a ton. Cold steel recon 1 is a stout 4" folder that's fairly light and pockets well. Crkt fossil is a 4 " that is sweet for the money. Ontario rat 1 is like 3 7/8" pretty big blade and a heat knife. I have a cs recon 1 that is 5 1/2" that pockets surprisingly well. U might find a zero tolerance 200 for around $100 if u look and it is just there at 4"

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Wydern and ManVsLawn like this.
  7. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco Military pops up sub-$75 on Ebay a lot. 4 inches of S30V.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Manix XL is worth a look - a touch under your size request but still a superb blade,

gemini and ManVsLawn like this.
  9. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

Spyderco tatanka

10. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

Benchmade 710. Spyderco Military. Slightly under your size would be a benchmade 940.

Hangman likes this.
  11. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

My favorite in that size is the Spyderco Military. If you do buy one off EvilBay be suuuuuper careful,there are LOTS of fakes. I think it is worth the extra dough to buy it from a reputable dealer. If you don't want to spend that much, the Resilience is a good knife too just a little heavier and a drop down in steel quality from the Military. Another couple that come to mind is the Kershaw Tremor and like Syy said the Benchmade 710.......oh yeah, and the Endura.

gemini likes this.
  12. sXeBLADE

sXeBLADE Loaded Pockets

I'd recommend the Cold Steel recon 1. I have the plain edge tanto version and it is very solid and hair popping sharp out of the box. The coating might be a con because it is said to wear pretty bad. I like that because it shows my knife is used and not for show, same as a patina on my carbon steel slipjoints and the scratched stainless handles on my lost delica.
    Due to the stainless delica I'm looking into buying a stainless handled, fully serrated endura as a replacement. It has an almost 4" blade so you might want to look into that.

13. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I have been in the market for a 4" folder myself actually and after ALOT of looking around, I decided on a knife from Kizer Cutlery. You get some great materials for the price and the fit/finish on the knives I have held in person have been great. A few members here on the forum have had good experiences with their knives as well:

http://edcforums.com/threads/kizer-knives-ki401b1.120394/
    http://edcforums.com/threads/considering-the-kizer-cutlery-ki4403.120917/#post-1930108

My choice, which has been put on my gift list for our wedding in February.. I know it's slightly above your $100 budget, but given the materials and what others have found with the quality, I think it's a hell of a steal in a 4" folder.

Kizer Cutlery Ki5414A2 Folding Knife 4" S35VN Stonewash Tanto Blade, Black G10 Handles @ $125.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Samuel Sturm likes this.
  14. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

Not gonna lie there arent many factory folders out there at that size even worth buying. Id suggest a cryo 2 or thermite or if you can afford/find one get a boker vox f3. Other then that ive got a zt0560bw that ive been thinking about putting up for sale for about 200$ plus s&h like NIB. Just havent yet. Got a smf before I started carrying it.

15. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Szabo :)

16. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

The latter is M390

CardsNation likes this.
  17. HalJordon

HalJordon Banned

Kizer 401a2 has a 3.5" S35VN blade and a titanium handle.
    Kershaw Shallot has a 3.5" blade also.

I'm with Doc18, I haven't seen many factory folders that big that are worth having.

18. jkpq45

jkpq45 Empty Pockets

I've been after-hours carrying the Cold Steel Espada XL ever since my lovely wife gave it to me for Christmas.

I pulled the trigger on a Kershaw Tremor this morning--this'll be a bit more "24-hour" capable for my situation.

Looking at the Kershaw Compound, Kershaw Asset and keeping the Spyderco Resilience on the list.

19. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

The Custom Knife Factory Rabbit has a 4 inch blade, framelock, bearings, and still lockbar insert. quite pretty, too. [​IMG]