1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Plasti Dip... Pros and cons?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Blackheart, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking of taking some yellow Plasti Dip spray to one of my lights to make it more visible than the standard-issue black. I haven't used this stuff in yeeeeears. Any issues I should be aware of before trying this?

Are there any other brightly-colored, grippy sprays out there that are durable? I briefly considered just an enamel paint, but thought it would scratch off too easily.

BTW, If one goes to the Plasti Dip website, there are a whole range of related products I didn't even know existed like metalizers, glossifiers, tints, pearls, and juices (?). There's even a website devoted to products for "dipping" your car.

https://www.dipyourcar.com (they "dipped" a Ferrari!)

I'm concerned about durability because, as the website above points out, you can peel it off. I don't want it peeling off unintentionally.

Last edited by Blackheart, Jun 29, 2016
  2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Are you going to be doing a majority of the flashlight or just a band?

If you do just a band to test it out, it's not as much of a pain if it doesn't work out.

Maybe I am just too CDO (OCD, but alphabetized), but I would probably me more inclined to go the aftermarket switch boot.

[​IMG]

And attach a small square/round sinnet fob in two retina damaging fluorescent/blaze colors and call it a day.

Square Sinnet

Round Sinnet

The attachment loop doesn't need to be anywhere near as big as shown in the videos unless you are attaching them with a larkshead knot.

ATB,
    Sam

Replete and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

If your looking for a more durable finish, google "Cerakote Flashlight". It's a much bigger investment in time and money though.

ATB,
    Sam

smokingfish likes this.
  4. Blackheart

Cerakote's out. I've read up on it. Too much involved for me to do it right myself. Too expensive to have someone else do it. The body of this light is carbon fiber, also. Probably doesn't sandblast well to get a good toothy surface for coating.

5. Blackheart

I was thinking about doing, like, a 6" band (where one would grip the light).

I've got a supply of toxic green paracord with the reflective marker, not quite the same thing as having a brightly colored light body.
    The colored switch boot would be good for calling attention to where the button is, though.

6. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Out of curiosity, what's the candidate flashlight?

ATB,
    Sam

7. Blackheart

This is the Jetbeam PA40 that I've been mucking around with for the past couple weeks. One of these days I'll get it the way I want it (maybe).

8. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I remember some neighbors would plastidip random things, mostly car parts like bumper wheels etc. Also baseball bats and just about anything they could find.

I don't see much pros...
    Looks cheap and chips very easily. They were getting chips on the 1st day. Not sure how long the finish would last on a flashlight.

9. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I read up on the PA40. I don't think plasti dip would stick well to the carbon fiber composite handle very well. If it was all aluminum, maybe with a good prep. I would echo what indigo said and consider a small, glow in the dark lanyard/fob.

10. Blackheart

I figure I'll give it a try. If it peels off, I'll just peel it all off. No harm, no foul.

11. Mikeyk94

Mikeyk94 Loaded Pockets

I dipped a lot of parts on my truck, just not a fan of chrome, it's held up pretty good through 2 years of everyday travel. Best part about it is that you can just peel it off with zero damage to whatever was sprayed. Ive only used the black though.

mole likes this.