1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pistol Holster for Hiking?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by ViennaGambit, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Hi All,

Dug up some older threads, but hoping to find some more conclusive and current opinions. Looking for some recommendations on your choices for carrying while hiking or backpacking. Since moving to AZ earlier this year, I have grown accustomed to carrying and I'm sure there is a better option than my edc CCW holsters provide, especially when wearing a hip-belt. Will be going on my first extended backpacking trip out here and want to find a good option to try out before leaving. I generally do not like to carry openly, but while hiking its not as much of a concern.

What holsters are you attaching to your backpacking (kifaru in particular) belts?

Do you prefer drop-leg holsters or attaching right to the belt?

Do you use tanker-style/cross-chest instead?

I have seen a lot of recommendations for El Paso Saddlery and Simply Rugged leather tanker/chest rigs, but am looking for synthetic material and a bit more modularity to carry a few different types of handguns, mostly my Glock 17, 30 or S&W 686 4".

Thanks,
    -Harry

2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

You might try the military style pistol belt and holster (many of the El Paso Saddlery ones work on a regular military pistol belt, too.). One major consideration: whatever you choose just make sure you can wear it without it being compromised by your backpack (especially the waistbelts on some packs).

3. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

4. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

P35, that looks like a good system. I couldn't tell from the Company's YouTube video, but is there anything internal that holds the spare magazine in place? (Harry, sorry for momentarily hijacking your thread.)

5. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I have a Safe Packer,I don't like it all that much for belt carry.
    Tactical Tailor make the Lunar,a guy on another forum uses it while packing,I will see if I can find a picture. Found it,http://youtu.be/N7YjVi-JsKs
    I don't remember where I got the picture I posted,but I saved it because it looks like a workable solution.
    [​IMG]

6. EndlessFields
    • In Omnia Paratus

EndlessFields Loaded Pockets

The safepacker is the best option I've seen for carrying while hiking. It's would truly protect the firearm in what can be a very harsh environment. Last thing I'd want to be worried about is my gun catching on a branch or loosing it if I lost footing.

7. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

there is room for a magazine, and more...I have the size for a Glock 17, but have carried pistols of all sizes... a versatile rig

8. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

that safepacker is kinda pricey