1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pimping My FujiFilm X30 - Zippo Case Battery & Card Strap Pouch

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by DuncMan, Jan 7, 2016.

1. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

There are few things I find more enjoyable than pimping a new camera! BUT.. I do like to up-cycle when possible and I do like to be original when the mood takes. My previous X100 sported a stunning LeicaTime half case which came with a small bespoke battery and card case that very handily sat proudly on the strap. I desperately wanted a similar pouch for my X30 setup but didn’t want to spend $100 nor wait a month to get it. After much head scratching it suddenly occurred to me that I’d bought an old vintage Zippo case a few years ago for about $5 on eBay UK. Made from black bridle leather it’s a lovely little case so I immediately fetched it and tried it for size. It was the perfect fit for an NP95 battery and an SD card!!! Bullseye! Not only that, it had the perfect horizontal slit on the back side to allow it to slide neatly on to my Footprint strap and it was tight enough to hold it firmly in place whilst I walked. I was totally stunned. I hadn’t dared believe it would work quite that well! So if you want the perfect strap pouch for an X series FujiFilm that uses NP95 batteries, go find an old Zippo case on the ‘Bay!

2. Ben Rubinstein

What a great idea? Looks incredible also.

Cobra 6 Actual and DuncMan like this.
  3. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

Cheers Ben. Yes, I'm really pleased with it and great that it saved me a few bucks, too!

4. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

Here's my lens cap solution, made using an old Schneider Optik push on cap and a Gariz Capfix.

[​IMG]

5. Ben Rubinstein

Super like for the Schneider cap, with the string coming out of it, for a split second I thought I was looking at a Large Format lens (with the release attached). Loved those lenses. So very simple, drew so incredibly well.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  6. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

Thanks Ben Rubinstein! Here's an excerpt from the write-up I did on my blog, THIRTYFIVEMILL.

If you’re into photography you’re probably a fairly ‘visual’ person and like me, you’ll prefer your camera to look ‘right’, so just chucking any old 60mm cap on the front isn’t going to suffice. When I ordered the Gariz half case I also ordered the leather Capfix. My idea was to find an old cap and cover the front with it. I dredged eBay and finally found a nice looking lens cap in near mint condition, made by Schneider Optik. When it arrived I placed the Capfix over the front but it didn’t look at all right. The leather circle simply didn’t cover enough of the cap’s face and trying to line up the logo inside the little Capfix window was nigh on impossible. My solution was to use the Capfix inside the cap.. I pierced a hole in the side of the cap at 2 O’ Clock using a large heated needle. I then threaded the save cord through the hole and attached it to the split ring of the shoulder strap. The Capfix was then permanently attached to the inside of the cap and lo and behold I had my push on hood cap solution! Looks good, works well, job done!

[​IMG]

7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Very clever !

8. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

9. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I dont use my X100 enough to need a spare battery.......
    Just make sure its charged regularly - i keep a spare on the bookshelf though.

The hood looks very cool though - my X100 is wearing a cheap ebay hood (with adapter)

The 50mm on my leica is wearing an ebay hood too - i have filled the slots with gaffa and cinefoil though, cos the front is threaded for a 52mm filter

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  10. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

LOL! I've yet to need a spare battery, either, and the X30 has better life than the X100, I believe. I like to have it, just in case, though. I do some expeditions with my Jeep and my little son where we're away for 4-7 days at a time and then it's comforting to know I have a backup and a spare card, just in case. Other than that, it really does look good!! :rofl: Here's a better shot of the pouch:

[​IMG]

11. nitevision

nitevision Loaded Pockets

Nice setup! Is that the original lens hood?

12. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

It's an original Fuji, yes, but they don't come with the camera. You have to purchase them separately.

13. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

Here's an original Fuji 58mm lens cap I found for it, too.

[​IMG]

14. Ben Rubinstein

Did you see the new X-Pro 2 and the X70? :p

15. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

Yep. Not for me, tho. The X70 has a fixed focal lens which I find a bit limiting. I will be getting a Fuji DSLR body later in the year, though, I think. For now, tho, I'm going to force myself to do all my photography with the little X30 and see how much I can eek out of it.

16. Ben Rubinstein

Wait a minute or so and they'll bring out the XT-2 :)

DuncMan likes this.
  17. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I hate to be pedantic, and i understand what you mean but technically they arent SLRs (unless you are referring to the old S2, S3, S5 bodies with nikon lens mounts) as they lack the reflex mirror flapping up and down (The R from SLR, and the reason they are commonly referred to as "mirrorless")

The XT1, XPro etc are technically "EVIL" Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens cameras.

Ben Rubinstein and DuncMan like this.
  18. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

LOL! Very true. My brain wouldn't bring the right term to me on the fly so I figured you all would get what I meant. :p

19. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Can't help but drool on a Fuji post. Love me some fuji! They are so sexy, and the customization options are staggering. Check out Artisan Obscura. I see you have a nice soft release already, but AO makes some slick wooden soft release buttons.

Proud owner of a Fuji XT1 and XE2.