1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by bquinlan, Jan 5, 2009.

1. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

After years of looking at them longingly, I finally own a Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point fountain pen. My wife knew roughly what I wanted, but was smart enough not to guess on something like that. She gave me a "gift certificate" for Christmas and the pen just arrived today. Mine is finished in green lacquer with gold trim and a medium nib.

[​IMG]

I love to write with a fountain pen, but have never had much luck carrying one around with me. They always end up leaking or drying out when I need them. The Vanishing Point seems like a solution to those problems. My main question was whether that strange nib would feel as good when writing as the Waterman Expert that has been my favorite. One evening is not enough time to provide an answer, but I am very pleased so far. We'll see how things go as it breaks in.

Are there any other Vanishing Point fans out there?

--Bob Q

2. sld

sld Loaded Pockets

Two here. I have 2 of the older style, one in med and one in fine. The wife has the Ice Blue one that came out last (?) year. We are both quite pleased with them.

Steve

3. CADMAN

CADMAN Loaded Pockets

I got a yellow on before Christmas - I't great.
    Now go here Fountain Pen Forum
    And start getting more (or just lots of good info). I just got a 1948 Parker 51 from one of the Forum members
    yesterday, and wow it's the smoothest writing pen I've owned. I love new technology, but some of the
    "old" stuff can't be beat.

4. CJay

CJay Empty Pockets

I've had the blue carbonesque with a medium nib for 3 years...I absolutely love it.

You'll thoroughly enjoy the pen!

5. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I'm loving my Vanishing Point! It goes in my vest pocket with no mess and it writes every time I pull it out. Just what I've always wanted in a fountain pen.

On top of the basics, this is a lovely writing instrument. It feels good in the hand and writes an elegant line. Wish I hadn't waited so long to try one.

--Bob Q

6. Alter Rostig

Alter Rostig Loaded Pockets

They are great pens. Also a hell of a conversation piece, since few people have seen or heard of them.
    Jack

7. chris in mo

chris in mo Loaded Pockets

I use my Blue Carbonesque daily a work Great pen! You will enjoy it Mine shows the wear and tare of daily use. It is not beat up but the shiny parts on the cap and clip definitely show that it is a writing instrument not a display piece.

8. termite

termite Loaded Pockets

They're nice pens. Now really treat yourself and get an italic nib ground by John at pendemonium. It replaces the whole piston/nib assembly and they write soooo nicely!! Enjoy.

9. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

Aw heck you could just get me to grind one for you too. ;D

I have had a VP since about 2005 and love them, great pens that pretty much work every time. Just be careful when cleaning them, do not put anything up the nose of the pen, if that little spring in there comes out you are SOL. The little trap door will not close anymore and the nib will dry out all the time.

Mine is a black VP regular, no carbonesque for me. It is fitted with a Binder 0.6mm CI, I meant to buy a 0.9mm stub from Richard, but think that the nibs were mixed up in the packaging when I got mine. Still, I love writing with it. Might have to grind a stub for myself one of these days.

Oh, for reliabilities sake, just refill the cartridges with a syringe. The convertors basically suck and don't reliably work. They are a little longer and thus keep the afrementioned trap door open slightly allowing air in to dry out the nib. I changed from the convertor to the carts about 2 years ago and have not had an issue since.

[img width=640 height=381]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/3285716857_e932a89e33_b.jpg[/img]

Cheers,
    Sean

10. termite

termite Loaded Pockets

Well I might just do that! I've tried a few different nibs through the years and had considered trying to mess with grinding on one myself. A few spare Safari nibs around with all sorts of stones (ceramic, water stones, diamond... yeah I'm a knife/tool nut also), but never knew where to start. Thanks for the tips. I just got one back from Florida for repair...they sent me a new one as a replacement! Great service. May I suggest that you try a nib regrind from PenRx, bquinlan? :) Thanks again.

11. wolf

wolf Loaded Pockets

I have two. One is one of the original Namikis with the faceted body and recently a friend gifted me with one (she didn't like the clip placement) she didn't use - it's one of the newer models. Both of them write great - very very smooth, perfect ink flow - almost like painting more than writing, yet the ink doesn't flow so much as to leak through most paper or bleed. Can you tell I like them?