1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pilot G2 vs Pentel Energel vs UniBall Signo Triple Threat Match...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by bryan123, Mar 21, 2019.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi Pen Pals,

I have a new Machine Era Original Brass as well as several other pens that take these three refills. Also drooling over the TiScribe Bolt in stonewashed titanium... So far the Pentel 0.5mm seems to be my favorite but I haven't tried the Uniball in 0.5mm yet.

I was also impressed with the 0.3mm Pentel refill but for niche work.

Does the UniBall bring anything else to the table ? If so I'll pick one up.

Thanks

2. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

I recently picked up a Pentel Philography with a .5 in it. And while the .5 energel is fine and all I am more of a ultra fine guy and swapped in a .3 refill for general use, and have not looked back at all. So I cant help much with the Uni thing but just an endorsement for the .3 Pentel

3. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

OP here. Pentel wins. smooth, black and doesn't smudge.

Pilot G2 smudges and UniBall writes grey not black.

4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Try a Pilot precise v-5 or v-7 (my pick)

5. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I run Hi-Tec-c 0.4 refills in my TiArto

6. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

If the pen can take a G2, then you probably have a little wiggle at the tip when using the Pentel or the Uniball. If that's true, then I would throw the G2 refill away (well, actually, I'd put it one of my wife's pens...she likes them fine) and put in a Pilot Precise v5 refill. They are awesome rollerballs!

However, if there is somehow no tip wiggle when using a Pentel Energel refill, then the Pentel Energel 0.5 needle point is an excellent refill that compares favorably with the Pv5 refill and, more importantly, is easier to purchase in a variety of colors.

The Uniball refills are fine. but they tend to be more expensive refills than the Energel and I don't think they come in a needle point style (if that matters to you).

Good luck finding something you love!

--flatline

7. dgaddis

dgaddis Loaded Pockets

I like the G2 gel. I like the Pilot rollerball Precision V5 even better...but I'll admit it bothered me slightly that the tip had the blue plastic visible on my metal (brass) pen.

Just discovered the Pentel 'Liquid Gel' refills - BOOM. I have a 0.7mm (LRN7 is the refill) and love the way it writes, and I like the blue color, it doesn't smear at all, and I like that the tip is metal, but it's not as fine as I'd like. So I was pretty stoked to get on the Google machine and discover there's a 0.3mm so I'm gonna order one of those.

No tip wiggle in the Machine Era Original Brass.

Writes good, but doesn't look right.
    [​IMG]

This writes as good or better, and looks better. Winning!
    [​IMG]

twin63 likes this.
  8. dgaddis

dgaddis Loaded Pockets

Picked up a 0.3mm Pentel cartridge locally today. After trying it...It's too fine, it isn't as smooth feeling as the 0.5mm Pilot G2 or V5, and it feels scratchy. Maybe the 0.5mm is the sweet spot...

[​IMG]

Moshe ben David and Tesla like this.
  9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

.7 mm Pentel for the win!

10. dgaddis

dgaddis Loaded Pockets

I picked up a pair of the .5mm Pentels. They feel better than the 0.3mm, but it's almost exactly the same line weight as the 0.7mm...the 0.5mm Pentel is thicker than the Pilot G2 0.7mm.

Also, the Pentel refills all have about 1/3rd less ink in them than the Pilot refills.