1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pilot G2 refill hack for Lamy Safari Rollerball

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Wolfman Zack, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Wolfman Zack
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wolfman Zack Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased a Lamy Safari Rollerball as an alternative to my fountain pens for carbon copy forms, loaning out to non FP users, and other applications where a FP isn't ideal.
    These Lamy pens use a proprietary refill however, and I wasn't satisfied with that, both due to the additional cost of the special refills, and also because I experienced a good bit of bleed through with the Lamy ink.
    Fortunately there is an easy hack that converts commonly available Pilot G2 refills to fit the Lamy pen perfectly.
    What follows is a basic tutorial in case anyone else is interested in doing this.

First off, here is the Lamy Safari Rollerball.
    [​IMG]

The first step is to disassemble it:
    [​IMG]

Next, we can see how similar the Pilot G2 and Lamy M63 refills are, aside from that the M63 is slightly longer.
    If you installed the G2 in the Safari as it is, the tip would not protrude from the body of the pen.
    [​IMG]

If you inspect the G2 refill closely, you will notice that the plug at the back can be easily removed like this, don't worry about the ink leaking, the seal inside will still prevent that.
    [​IMG]

Now, turn the plug upside down and place it back against the refill like this:
    [​IMG]

At this point, you could just carefully insert the assembly into the pen just like this, but I prefer to make it a little more secure by wrapping the end with a little masking tape to hold the inverted plug in place.
    As you can see it is now the same length as the Lamy M63 refill.
    [​IMG]

Finally, install the modified refill in the pen and enjoy.
    [​IMG]

This hack took me longer to photograph than it took to actually do, so I believe it is practical even for high volume users of refills, no tools were needed, nor any additional materials aside from about an inch of masking tape.
    Thanks for reading, and I hope that some of you can make use of it.
    "Wolfman" Zack

2. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks for this! That's a really elegant solution. I love the G2 refills.

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  3. IGetov

IGetov Loaded Pockets

That is real elegant and the best thing is that you need nothing else that the masking tape.
    I've done modification of the G2 refill to fit my Boker Plus Tactical pen, but it needed to be grinded a little bit with sand paper so that the tip could fit in.

Изпратено от моят SM-G920F с помощта на Tapatalk

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  4. Wolfman Zack
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you, my goal was to keep things simple.
    There are more complex hacks involving separate spacers and such, but this just makes things easier.

5. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

An even easier fix for the long haul (no mod of the refill required) is to take a spring out a cheap spring, cut it down to a third or half (depends on the spring) and toss it in the back of the pen body. You can now use all standard international size rollerball refills, of which the G2 is one.

Moshe ben David and Wolfman Zack like this.
  6. Wolfman Zack
    • In Omnia Paratus

Doesn't that cause the tip to move in and out slightly when writing with it??

7. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

It depends on the spring. I often pull the spring apart a little to firm it up, but I write lightly and like to have a little give for safety (no movement when regularly writing, but a little if I accidentally bear down). Before I used a spring, I cut a section off of an eraser refill for an eraser holder (the wide, circular kind). That provided enough give to not have to get the length perfect, but still provide firm support. The downside is you have to fiddle more with getting the size right for each type of refill and after a few refill changes, it will need replacing due to chipping.

Wolfman Zack likes this.