1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

pill bottles

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by thumbscrew, Feb 28, 2017.

1. thumbscrew

thumbscrew Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have any insight into the best small pill bottles to use for edc. I'd like something small and that would move easily from pocket carry to my bag and back. The pills would be just painkillers and caffeine tabs. I carry several doses (10-12) and go through them on a regular basis but i want to get to a minimum size. I'd also like something not to noisy. Thanks

2. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

These can be found in a couple of different sizes. I carry 2: a morning dose (in the fob with half the purple polished off) and an evening dose. There's plenty of room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nick4305 and thumbscrew like this.
  3. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

After searching many I settled on the TiTaner, perfect size for about a week's worth.

[​IMG]

4. thumbscrew

Thanks for the replies. I really hadn't thought about the aluminum type bottles. I've been using plastic bottles and would like to downsize. I'll have to do some searching for the keychain type.

5. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

Just Google "pill fob".

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WillAdams and thumbscrew like this.
  6. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

1+ for pill capsules! If you're not fussy about material jump on eBay they're a dime a dozen and hold up pretty well (I've had them on my key chain for 3 + years. Otherwise there are some really nice and expensive titanium ones out there.

thumbscrew likes this.
  7. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Got some from 99 cents store. I used them for my earplugs.

thumbscrew likes this.
  8. mntnbkr1968

mntnbkr1968 Loaded Pockets

Walgreens, CVS, pretty much any pharmacy. But take my advice of you do any sort of activities. Pack it with cotton balls for shock absorption.
    I took mine in a seat bag on a mountain bike ride. 3 hours later I had ibuprofen dust.

efforting and thumbscrew like this.
  9. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

You could also look arround for the plastic versions of the aluminum/titanium pill containers, they don't unscrew themselves as easily and don't powder the pills as quickly, they are cheap but for some reason harder to find.

10. CELICA XX

CELICA XX Loaded Pockets

That's good advice.

I also had some Gel-caps that melted together in storage, and they weren't even exposed to heat.
    Not sure how to solve that one yet...

11. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Could be moisture, you need better waterproofing. I found these cheap LED lights also at the 99 cents store. Once the battery is depleted, I ripped out the innards and applied some hot glue to seal the top. I'm thinking of rolling up some $20 bills for emergency on my key chain.

#11 Adam Ng, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  12. efforting

efforting Loaded Pockets

I use an old chapstick tube, just pry off the bottom and pull out the screw piece. If you want to waterproof it just put a dab of hot glue on the hole in the bottom. Because it is plastic, it is quiet, it is small and not noticeable in the pocket. I found one that has a red cap and was transparent, I think it was a carmex brand. So I could see at a glance if I needed to refill and in a pinch I can use the tube and cap as a light diffuser for my edc flashlight.

13. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Exactly what efforting said! Clean out an old chapstick tube or buy a couple empties on ebay. Prying the bottom can be annoying sometimes because it bends sideways instead of coming out. Remove the bit inside that moves up and down first. Get something thin like a butter knife to pry the bottom a little, slip a fork under so that the prongs go around the peg in the center, then you can yank it out easily without it bending. I snip only the threaded part of the peg and then push the cap back on. Hot glue and wood glue are both good for sleaing it. PVA (wood glue) is food safe. Transfer the label from the original bottle for a nice legit look.

[​IMG]

Nick4305, efforting and Loadout like this.
  14. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

Excellent idea!

15. jberner88

jberner88 Empty Pockets

Mini altoids cans work well too.

thumbscrew likes this.
  16. thumbscrew

Thanks again for the replies. I ended up ordering a couple of styles from Amazon. One 3 pack of plastic fobs that'll hold maybe 6 pills and some aluminum fobs (6) that may hold 3. I had also picked up a couple of bottles from Container Store that'll hold something like 20 pills each. I get random headaches so having Excedrin on hand wherever I go is pretty much a must. If it's muscle or joint pain, I take naproxen so i keep those too. I carry the larger bottles in my work bag.

17. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Better late then never, but I strongly recommend the aluminum ones with the screw top. Sometimes searching on the words "pill fob" will automatically put you in a higher price bracket (think - medical supplies). I've just searched on 'aluminum keychain container'. Make sure you get one with the rubber gasket, and as others have mentioned, definitely pack it with cotton balls. I've carried meds for years this way and they're always fine. I find them for about a buck or so, and they'll hold about 10-12 pills depending on size. The ones I use are about 5/8" in diameter and about 1-1/4" long.

thumbscrew likes this.
  18. Alberta STF

Alberta STF Empty Pockets

19. Batsy

Batsy Loaded Pockets

20. ReubenRN

ReubenRN Loaded Pockets

On metal containers apply some silicone grease on the Orings, otherwise they'll bunch up and fail, allowing moisture in and possibly ruining the pills. Also, use something to prevent the pills from shaking up and grinding themselves to a powder, especially if you keep them in your keyring or motor vehicle.