1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Picture Thread: Carrying Concealed in a Suit

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Mudinyeri, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Hoping to start a thread demonstrating the ways to carry concealed in a suit. My work life is about to change and I'll most likely be wearing a sport coat or suit when I'm out and about.

Thanks!

tmgplc likes this.
  2. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I’ll get a couple this weekend - have at least one detail I’ll need a suit for.

akbound and Mudinyeri like this.
  3. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I rarely have to wear a sport coat anymore (thank goodness). But, when I'm visiting clients, I've found that an LCP in my front pants pocket disappears. With the right holster, it won't print either.

dhw46725 and Mudinyeri like this.
  4. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

I'm a bigger boy im in and out of my car several times a day and find a shoulder rig works best for me.

dhw46725 and Mudinyeri like this.
  5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I have a Kahr PM9 that I think might fit nicely in a pocket holster (rear pocket).

Wishoot likes this.
  6. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

Wearing suits allow jacket pocket carry, front/back pocket carry, IWB appendix, IWB kidney, OWB, and shoulder holster carry. But obviously the jacket cannot come off for certain of those types and some of those work best with mouse to snub or 3.3" barrel semi-auto handguns.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  7. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Every suit jacket I've worn was way too flimsy to hold even a small gun (2" revolver, 3" single stack 9) without sagging and swinging a lot. Many leather jackets can hold those guns and more. Are your suit jackets vastly sturdier than mine?

Mudinyeri and dhw46725 like this.
  8. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

Not likely to be sturdier but my build and fit of most suit jackets allows for a P3AT with virtually no droop. Usually the snub droops but sometimes not too bad.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  9. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

at my age, just about the only time I wear a sport coat is, unfortunately, for funerals... living in Florida, even attending a funeral does not require a tie, but most of the time it gets uncomfortably warm to wear the jacket for the entire service... I find that I can use a solid color Columbia cape back shirt with velcro tab pockets to hold an LCP... years ago I acquired a Yaqui slide style holster of two thin layers and belt slots that holds the LCP firmly, and the width allows it to not move in the pocket... I can further reduce any "flop" due to the pistol weight and thin nylon shirt by wearing suspenders that can be adjusted to ride over the pocket... I use the Perry suspenders with the J clips that hook the belt without marking it...I'm a believer in the suspenders to help support my belt for more typical daily IWB carry of the G43 and TT+2

Mudinyeri likes this.
  10. Gary Weinheimer

Gary Weinheimer Loaded Pockets

If you're already wearing a sport coat you could easily add a vest and wear AIWB with no problem. Then you could even remove your coat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mudinyeri likes this.
  11. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Carrying with a suit jacket is probably the single easiest way to carry a concealed handgun, especially IWB. Just the way the jacket is cut and lays, it natuarally covers a 3-4:00 carry position against all those prints and peeks we worry so much about when we sit/stand/lean/move with tucked tshirts and other jackets. It’s also very fast and easy to toss backward out of the way with a natural draw motion.

charlie fox likes this.
  12. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Clearly, you can rock a shoulder holster like Sonny Crocket. Or is it Nash Bridges?

If you're like me, and you like your suit to actually fit, rather than look like a crumpled off the rack JC Penney special, then you can't really wear a gun in any concealable fashion.

However, having looked into this before I can offer a couple of tips if you're dedicated to concealed carry with business dress. One, you've got to buy your jackets and or pants to fit the gun. Two, you can have a tailor sew a bit of canvas material between the lining and "shell" of the jacket to make it stiff where it would wrap around the gun.

Third option: Palm a gold coin and visit Wick's tailor.

Or, yeah, you could just use a pocket holster although you may need to reinforce your pockets.

13. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I carry "formally" fairly frequently with an iwb or ankle holster. I've mentioned before, ankle carry is my last resort but, it's better than nothing.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  14. Versatek

Versatek Loaded Pockets

I'm late to the thread, but will throw in here, too.

When you get your suit, jacket and/or trousers tailored - and you need to spend the money for this - wear your rig as you will be when dressed. This includes gun belt, holster firearm and spare magazine. Put everything else you carry regularly into your pockets, too; wallet, knife, keys, etc. The tailor will make the necessary allowances and adjustments so the clothing fits properly. My tailor charges right around $100 per suit.

I use a SmartCarry almost all the time. Where my hardware rubs on my trousers, I have a piece of denim or thin leather sewn to the waistband. I did not do this for a couple pair and had holes worn through the material near the fly. If you carry IWB, reinforce the trousers waistband where the gun rides, and add material to the jacket where it will rub against the gun.

Either keep something with a little weight in your strong-side suitcoat pocket, or have a fender washer sewn into the lining at the leading edge. When you sweep your coat out of the way to draw, those couple of ounces of extra mass will help keep the material out of your way.

Gary Gross, ghuns and jkwithawave like this.
  15. Hammer-V6

Hammer-V6 Loaded Pockets

I like the 511 conceal carry t-shirt or the tank they make that has the built in holster. I like them the best, as you can remove your jacket and no one will see it, as it is still hidden by your shirt. So, I find it the best way to carry when you have to wear a jacket.

16. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Not a lot of pictures in this thread. :D I'll post some up as I'm going to try the CrossBreed Belly Band.

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I'm in a tailored suit or sports coat most of the time that I am outdoors on business. I have found that a high-ride, "pancake"-style detail-molded to the specific model cowhide leather outside the pants holster worn at 4-5 o'clock such as the Andrews Leather IPSC Saddle Model works very well for me. It is often very difficult to draw from a sitting position in tight sitting compartments such as in aircraft so the cutout in that model makes it easier since the barrel does not need to clear the top of the mouth of other holster designs.

18. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

For me, carrying under a sport coat or a suit coat is pretty easy. Depending on where I’m going and what I’m doing, I’ll either carry IWB and keep the coat on, or pocket carry (in a holster with nothing else in the pocket!).

Recently I’ve found a pocket holster that works well with my P365, and I’d much rather have 10+1 rounds of 9mm than 6+1 rounds of .380 ACP. It vanishes in a pocket, although it is not a very fast draw compared to a good IWB holster.

Rob Babcock likes this.
  19. joshwhoha

joshwhoha Loaded Pockets

Personally I've never had a problem with 4 o'clock IWB. My regular carry gun is a Sig SP2022 with a +2 mag and a Streamlight TLR-1HL in a JM custom kydex holster; conceals just fine even under a well tailored suit jacket or sport coat. Make a habit of keeping your carry-side arm low to help with the drape of the jacket. If deep concealment is needed for less permissive situations, you can conceal any of the modern single stacks under a dress shirt in a "tuckable" style holster; yes it adds a complication to the draw but if deep cover is what you need, a Shield or PPS or 43 in a tucked kydex holster at 4 o'clock, or even appendix, is invisible under even a very slim fitting jacket.