1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pics+Review of My Custom InsideLineEquipment 'Default' MultiCam Molle Backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Langster, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Langster

Langster Loaded Pockets

Hey everyone!

I've been a long time reader, seldom poster on these boards and I finally thought I'd contribute. These forums have helped me find so many cool trinkets, I can't thank you enough. I love this place.

I thought I'd contribute and throw some credit to an incredible bag that I don't think many have seen here on the EDC forums. I want to state that I payed full retail for this bag and I am promoting this bag as a standard customer and a simple user. I've only become a promotor of the product due to it's superior quality, uniqueness and incredible customer service. I'm a research junky like most of you are and when I become passionate about a product I like to write and rave about it.

This bag is made by a super hip company called InsideLineEquipment, usually labeled ILE or ILEquipment. The business is located in Berkeley CA and every single bag is 100% hand made by a few gnarly looking dudes in their humble shop and mild storefront. These guys are passionate about what they do and dang do they have some skills.

One of the best selling points is that every item ILE makes is covered by a lifetime warranty. You just can't beat that and really makes the price point a bargain in my eyes.

I first found ILE while attending Renegade Craft Fair in SanFrancisco. The owner of ILE, Eric, had a booth at the event and I was immediately drawn to the awesome colors and fabrics being used to build his bags. I've always been a backpack guy and at the time I had about three sub $200 overseas made bags. None of them were just quite right for me and I began discussing the possibility of building a custom bag with Eric. I decided that I'd sell my other "decent" bags and finally buy a single super high quality hand made bag that fit my needs perfectly and will let me for life.

I visited the shop with my wife and friends a few days after meeting the company at the maker event. The shop was super cool and the humble storefront was packed tight with bags, pouches, multicam, sail cloth materials, camera hauling gear, it was a total sensory overload!

Eric had me try on a few bags and we narrowed down the basic size and style for my bag. We talked about craft beer, cycling and he showed me some fabric samples and some of the insanely cool industrial stitching machines they use. I think these guys may have hijacked a military textile manufacturing transport truck at some point early on the business- They've got some super insane looking equipment and a machine that does all there Molle stitching specifically. If you live in the California Bay Area, you've got to check the shop out.

Needless to say, I now have my dream bag and I literally use it every day. Eric was a joy to work with throughout the customization process and the company really loves creativity from their customers/users. I found that Eric was passionate about motorsports, photography, cycling and tactical equipment. I feel we have very similar interests and I can really see these influences in all of their products. The name Inside Line Equipment comes from the racing term "Inside Line" referring to hugging the apex of a turn.

I really love the website that they've put together and the "news" section their site is always being updates with super unique single-run bags and custom orders. It seems like the company is consistently innovating and they're able to do things with their products that only a hand-made locally owned business can do.

My bag is based off the Standard Size 'Default' model bag. From there I requested that the main material be Multicam canvas after Eric's recommendation and I also asked for Molle attachment loops on most of the exterior so I could add extra pouches and accessorize! Eric used Cordura brand 1000 denier canvas material for the main compartments of the bag and he even sent me a video during the build process that showed the factory that makes all the MultiCam canvas.

I learned that Eric was equally into gear and research as much as I was and he always sources the best parts possible for his builds. I saw later that ILE also collaborates with MilSpecMonkey from watching their website. The bags all utilize the coolest water proof YYK zippers and UV resistant color matched plastic hardware. Every piece of fabric on my bag from the webbing to the edge wrapping is all legit MultiCam licensed material.

I won't list all the detailed specs of the bag because you can read the website for that. I will say that one of the best features of the bag is its large roll top dry storage main section. The interior of the canvas is lined with a seam welded rubber/soft plastic material that is literally 100% waterproof. I requested red for this material but other colors are available. I read a review where the user filled this section with a 5 lb bag of ice water and a 6 pack and he used it as a walking cooler. It's really incredible.

The bag has a MacBook/iPad storage area, two pouches for my glasses cases (reading and sun), writing utensil separations, and super convenient hidden zipper storage under the main flap. I love that the bag uses all hook+loop closures to access any internal areas which was important to me. My bride and I do lots of public transit all over the world and I don't want anyone lightly unzipping an exterior pocket while on my back in a subway and stealing from me. This bag requires a giant "TEAR" sound to access anything which I could then easily turn around and beat down the thief to return the favor. :)

Enough with the text blabbing... check out my photos and the ILE website and please ask me questions!

Thanks everyone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Langster, Nov 7, 2015
    slivver71, Pete3, Gh0st and 3 others like this.
  2. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

I normally prefer solid color bags, but that looks awesome.
    Is that an ATS CLAP pouch on the front?

3. PiterM

PiterM Loaded Pockets

Supercool! Nice shots as well :)

4. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Great review and kudos for the great photography. I'll have to take a closer look at ILE bags. To me your photos also demonstrate how camo patterns & PALS/MOLLE looks perfectly normal (fashionable) with urban clothes and in urban environments.

Pete3 and Gh0st like this.
  5. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review. What's the weight of your pack, empty? What was the wait time from order to fulfillment? Thanks again.

6. Langster

Langster Loaded Pockets

Yep, you nailed it dude! It's the ATS Combat Leader Admin Pouch.

It's a decent pouch. It's designed to billow, but all the extra fabric makes it fairly "floppy" and it lacks rigidity to the point where it's very hard to undo the hook+loop because the bag just flops and pulls with the flap.

7. Langster

Langster Loaded Pockets

Thanks man! Definitely go poke around on the ILE website, it's a good one with lots of fun stuff to see in the news section.

I tossed around color options for so long! My wife and I both agreed though that Camo has become "hip" and the bag really can be casual or super tac looking depending on how it's accessorized. I try to keep it fairly causal looking with brighter patches and what not.

I wear the bag to shopping malls regularly and I often receive compliments by strangers.

Barchack likes this.
  8. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

From the forum rules:

9. Langster

Langster Loaded Pockets

That's a great question, I've never weighed the bag. I will definitely do that when I get home from my current trip.

When I visited the shop, ILE had a bunch of bags in the popular colors ready to go. He keeps a mild backstop I think on most models.

If you order a custom color way, I was super surprised with how quick they turn around things for me. I don't think I get any special treatment, and I've had orders completed within a week. I've since ordered some small pouches and accessories.

They do a good job of keeping lots of materials/ clips/ buckles in stock and they also offer other MultiCam patterns besides the MultiCam1000.

10. Langster

Langster Loaded Pockets

Thank you so much for clearing this up! I'll PM you now.

11. yakuzaboss

yakuzaboss Loaded Pockets

Great review! I'm really close to ordering from Eric. Just trying to decide if I want the Default or Default Mini. If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I'm 5'7" and I think the Default might be to large of a backpack for me but the capacity of it is a bonus over the Mini.

12. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

Sweet bag man! Im a bit north of the bay, certainly will make their shop a destination in the near future. Know if they are sewn in house in Berkeley?

13. yakuzaboss

All of the ILE
    ILE products are built in house in Eric Fischer's Berkeley workshop/store front. Each bag is built by Eric himself or one of his three bagmaking staff.

I'm currently communicating with him to build a custom bag. He always replies to your emails with the information you need or requested.

Pete3 likes this.
  14. Langster

Langster Loaded Pockets

Dude, go for it! You'll love The bag.

I'm a pretty typical sized guy, 5'10" 180 lbs.

The standard size Default is definitely a "decent" sized bag. I wouldn't call it a compact bag. It spans my full back width wise. I think the mini would probably be a better option for you.

I opted for the full size due to I needed this bag to be a week long flight trip bag and needed to load it out with multiple pairs of clothes.

I have a smaller ILE bag on my radar for a weekend bag and for smaller tasks and trips.

15. Langster

Langster Loaded Pockets

Yep, yakuz summed it up real good. Everything is built in the Berkley shop. Eric is usually happy to give a quick tour and show you the shop. It's definitely a great destination and Berkley is super dope to walk around and fill the rest of the day.

16. Ceej64

Ceej64 Empty Pockets

Thanks for the heads up on this company! I've been looking for a Coyote sternum strap for my new Desert Digital GR1 and couldn't find one... super reasonable price and shipping too.

17. Langster

Langster Loaded Pockets

Awesome. Glad you found what you've been looking for.

ILE is great for custom straps and webbing pieces that are impossible to find anywhere else.

18. yakuzaboss

Placed an order for a custom Default Mini yesterday. Now just gotta wait 2 weeks.

Thanks for all the info and the sweet pics!

Last edited by yakuzaboss, Dec 30, 2015
  19. Langster

Langster Loaded Pockets

Awesome dude!! What are the specs on your bag?

20. yakuzaboss

-Sky Blue 1000d Cordura w/MultiCam trim.
    -Red Liner (Welded Waterproof).
    -Straps adjusted for less angle.
    -Add 3 rows of MultiCam Molle on both sides of the bag.
    -Add 2 rows of MultiCam Molle on the lid.
    -Add D-ring inside the left front pocket.
    -Add zippered pocket on the underside of the lid of the front pockets.
    -Add pair of Coyote buckles w/MultiCam webbing to the lid.

This bag is replacing my current backpack and will be my daily bag. So I don't mind spending good money on quality and killer construction. Almost 3 bills, well spent. I love custom built bags!