1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pick ONE SAK to EDC...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Metal425, Oct 2, 2009.

1. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

I have about 4 different SAKs that I pick from depending upon the situation, so this was a pretty tough question.

I eventually decided upon the Ranger. I particularly love having a file and scissors. :thumbsup:

2. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

This is like asking a parent with more than one child to pick their favorite!

I guess it would have to be the Ranger. It can do almost everything, well at least for me.

3. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

Hands down the Cybertool 34!

I want to buy another one of them and have it customized to my spec :lolhammer:

4. Xerxes

Xerxes Loaded Pockets

My Swiss Army Knife is a German army knife made by Victorinox (labelled Mauser), because it's a bit more substantial than the usual SAK. The blades are 2.5mm thick at the spine and overall it's a little over four inches long. Two cutting blades, reamer/awl, bottle opener/saw, corkscrew. It's not elegant, but does its jobs well.

5. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

alox soldier has been my pocket EDC for a while

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I would EDC a Soldier.

7. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I already EDC a SAK Champ (though I could cope without the ruler/fish hook disgorger so the Handyman would suffice, too)

8. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Either a Craftsman or a Ranger modded to swap the corkscrew for a Phillips :winkwink:

9. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Cadet, which suits me perfectly.

Swapped for an OHTrekker variant for camping, or alongside a larger folder if I want a bigger blade. But I will stick to the Cadet for my SAK.

Other options I would look at would be a Climber (since the scissors I find useful to have, I just wish I could get a Cadet with some...) or Huntsman (includes the saw, so is a knife that would handle camping better than the Cadet on its own).

The problem is that there is such a range of SAK's, and each one has its own purpose - the Cadet makes an awesome urban EDC, while the OHTrekker or Huntsman makes an awesome woods knife (but the saw is mostly pointless in an urban situation for example), The Cybertool is great if you work with computers and need a bit driver, but not generally of huge use in the outdoors... So my 'perfect' tool depends on what I am doing, but for the vast majority of my EDC, and not wanting to carry more than I need to for the 1% of the time I want a saw or something, I will stick with the Cadet

10. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

Also known as a Master Craftsman, Astronaut, or Shuttle.... :drool:

11. mio1

mio1 Empty Pockets

i wish there was a SAK as small as the classic, with just a bottle opener, can opener and a file, of course plus the toothpick and a pair of tweezers. without a knife, so i can bring it on board a plain. but would it still be called SAK without the "K", :lolhammer:

with this kind of SAK you wouldn't need to put a p38, pair of tweezers, pico widgy and bottle opener in your key ring... hehehe

12. CubistHamster

CubistHamster Loaded Pockets

I picked up a OHT a couple of weeks ago, and it's pretty much taken over from my Alox Cadet. The OHT is sturdy enough that I don't feel the need to carry a dedicated single blade knife as well. I do wish it had scissors, though.

13. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Given the choice, Swisstool Spirit.

If not possible, then an all-situation SAK would be the Cybertool 41.

14. Woz

Woz Empty Pockets

+1 on SwissTool Spirit. If that is not OK, I´ll get a Cadet.

15. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

+2 on SwissTool Spirit (I'd choose X!), but for an actual SAK, I very rarely go without my Explorer Plus; most of the times I don't have the Explorer Plus, I carry my Cadet. :)

16. crashbang

crashbang Empty Pockets

Obviously, the answer is going to differ based on personal preferences and circumstances. I live in NYC, so my EDC choice is colored by my specific needs...mainly, it has to be small enough to actually fit in my pocket with all my other junk, and it needs to have the right tools for my daily life.

I've picked up about a dozen SAKs over the years (Classic SD up to the Craftsman), and they've all got their pluses and minuses. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be the Compact. It's just small enough to be an EDC in suit pants, and I prefer the scissors over the small blade. As an eyeglass wearer, the corkscrew lets me carry the mini screwdriver. The pen is rarely used, but when I need it, I usually really need it.

2nd place goes to the Spartan. Honorable mention to the Cadet.

17. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

The Farmer. Such an easy SAK for the outdoorsman to live with.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/Buzzbait67/Knives/Victorinox%20Farmer/Picture072.jpg[/img]

18. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

Compact or Soldier.

19. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

One Hand Trekker for the Win!!!

20. op1

op1 Loaded Pockets

+2 - always carry mine - back right pocket