1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pick me a new SAK!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Sparkdave, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Sparkdave

Sparkdave Loaded Pockets

Hey guys!

I'm in the market after a new SAK really want a swisschamp but dunno if I'll like the size! Can someone recommenced me a new SAK please

2. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

I love the Swisschamp. It is big, but not to bad. It isn't like caring a full size Leatherman. If I have jeans on I carry it in a belt sheath, for work I normally just have it in my pocket.

What tools do you want? I personally think the deluxe tinker is a nice package but not huge; scissors, pliers, Phillips bit, all the other standards. I liked to carry the mechanic with a Leatherman micra and that had just about everything covered.

Good luck. Figuring out which SAK to get sucks, and I really don't think the search ends.

Gilatabar likes this.
  3. Sparkdave

Sparkdave Loaded Pockets

Well I really want pliers, but like the idea of the 'fiddle factor' with the swisschamp!

4. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Spirit X...

[​IMG]

oedipus1978 and Gilatabar like this.
  5. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I second the Deluxe Tinker. I love my Swisschamp but I only use the blades, scissors and pliers, so Deluxe Tinker fits really well ;)

will m likes this.
  6. gene stoner

gene stoner Loaded Pockets

I carry my champ every day and would be lost with out it. It's a bit on the thick side but the tool load out is great. I do carry a smaller knife like a evo 10 or tinker with it just for a small easier knife to handle. Sometimes the champs thickness can get in the way of the blade and it good to have a thinner knife.

oedipus1978 likes this.
  7. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

+1 on the deluxe tinker. Ordinarily I'd say a compact but it sounds like your looking for a little more.

Gilatabar likes this.
  8. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I'd suggest picking up the SwissChamp and trying it for a while, only you can decide if it's too much to carry. I carry one on a suspension clip in my pocket and hardly know it's there.

9. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

From what you are describing I would also recommend the Deluxe Tinker.

10. Sparkdave

Sparkdave Loaded Pockets

Well looking at the feluxe tinker now, maybe i will get this one first and use it as a edc knife then buy a swisschamp just as a 'gadget' haha

Edit-
    Just looked up the mechanic, think i'm probably going to go with this because i 99% have a classic on my keys

11. sliverhawk

sliverhawk Loaded Pockets

Yep, i reckon the mechanic will be the SAK for you mate!!

12. oedipus1978

oedipus1978 Loaded Pockets

Ranger :) or the Champ

13. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Well if you are a lefty then you might love the Trekker as much as I do. The Champ, (I think that is the one with just about everything in it known to man) a colleague has. He loves it, to me it's over kill. If I need more than what my Trekker has, then I just pull out my Skeletool CX and if that can't handle it there is my Leatherman Wave original, and if that can't handle it then I need the dedicated tool for the job.

14. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

If you don't need the pliers then the Champion/Champion Plus is the same knife without the pliers. I EDC a Champion Plus daily. I also alternate between a ranger which is probably one of the best well rounded EDC SAK's you can find.

15. Sparkdave

Sparkdave Loaded Pockets

I have a champion that i thought id lost. Tried carrying it today and way to bulky! Pleased i havent shelled out the cash for a swiss champ

sarge1967 likes this.
  16. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

You start getting more than 3 or 4 layers deep on a SAK they are not great for pocket carry. Now Victorinox makes some very nice belt pouches. I used to own a Champion I carried in a Zermatt pouch. Lost that one in a move somehow. I just ordered a Cordura pouch and a Med sized Zermatt pouch. The Cordera showed up yesterday. I am going to put my Explorer Plus in it when it arrives. I ordered the medium Zermatt for my Alox knives that don't have a key ring. The Electricain and Harvester.

17. The Albino Yeti

The Albino Yeti EDC Junkie

The deluxe tinker is perfect combo of size, weight, and versatility! I love mine and am currently in the market additional colors ( have day-glo) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

I second this. Lot's of tools in a small package.

[​IMG]

Sure love mine.

oedipus1978 likes this.
  19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I used a Wenger Tradesman continuously for two weeks during Feb 2015. I have a new-found appreciation for this size SAK (58mm) and model. I don't care for the gaudy red scales and will have them replaced soon with hardwood. I also prefer an inline phillips screwdriver and a locking blade. The Wenger Evowood S557 addresses my preferences with its walnut scales, inline phillips, and single locking blade. The S557 is shorter and narrower than the Swisschamp, yet has the tools that I typically would use.

Unfortunately, the Wenger Evowood S557 is no longer made since Wenger is now part of Victorinox. Victorinox now offers the Evowood S557 in its Delemont collection albeit at a price point that I was not willing to accept, and without the Wenger-style can opener that I prefer. This model retains the Wenger-style spring in lieu of the flimsy Victorinox-style springs for the scissor and plier.

I managed to find a Wenger Evowood S557 at a deeply-discounted price on the Bay.:D

20. Sparkdave

Sparkdave Loaded Pockets

Missus got me a handyman for my bday

Hangman and bigfoot like this.