1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pick me a flashlight.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by termnatr, Jan 12, 2023.

Tags:
  1. termnatr

termnatr Empty Pockets

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

It will be use for security work.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

[ x] I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :broke:

[ x] $80-$120

[X ] I have no limit!

4) Format:

PART A

[ x] I want a flashlight.

PART B

Length

[ x] 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

[ x] 4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

PART C

Width:

[ c] Doesn't matter.

PART D

Weight:

Lights of a similar size can be very different in weight and may turn the perfect sized light into a paper weight. In general a lights of the same size will stack up like this; plastic and aluminum will be your lighter choices brass, stainless steel, bronze will be heavier. I won't put numbers here because everyone has a different weight sensitivity. For the purposes of EDC specifically I'll limit the choices here to the more easily carried sizes pick 2 sizes to represent a range of weight.

[ x] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag

5) What kind of "bulb".

[ x] LED - more rugged, unlikely to burn out in your lifetime, less accurate color rendition, in general less output but more efficient (longer runtimes)

6) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

[X ] I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

[X ] I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)

[ x] I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries. Understand that runtime is a function of brightness and capacity of your batteries. If you want 6 hours you'll either have big batteries or dimmer light, they haven't made a setup yet that lights up like the sun, runs all night, and fits in your watch pocket. 

[ ] 20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)

[ x] 60-240 min. (1-2 hours)

[ x] 240-360 min. (4-6 hours)

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

[X ] Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

11) Switch Type:

[ x] clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

12) Switch Location:

[ x] I don't care.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

[ x] I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

[ x] I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? In this case "plastic" and it's variants does not mean "cheap" or poorly made. In many applications a plastic bodied light is preferable, hard use and water resistance comes to mind; thluminsving or lights that get dropped or abused.

[ x] I want a metal-bodied light.

Would like light to have 21650 or 18650 battery.

Would like high lumins but want the high power to be more than 1 minute. I'm willing to sacrifice lumens to get a more constant power.

Need light to fit on a duty belt.

Thanks for the help in advance!!
    --Tony

2. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

My edc is a convoy s2+ and it checks everything for you for a pocket carry. The convoy C8 is a bit bigger thrower and also runs 18650 batteries.

3. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a special love for my Nitecore E4K.
    Just my opinion

4. litework

litework Loaded Pockets

A variation of the Streamlight Stinger would be a pretty good light. I really like the Stinger 2020 and find myself carrying it a lot these days.

5. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

O-light seeker 3 I have a Seeker 2 pro and it's the best general purpose flash light I have ever had

6. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Any surefire