1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Photon II vs Freedom

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by FlyingFish, Nov 9, 2011.

1. FlyingFish

FlyingFish Loaded Pockets

Hey all, I was wondering which photon is an all around better keychain light. Photon II seems like a more simple light, therefore does it preserve the battery more then the freedom? Anyone who has both, I would like to hear your opinion on which you prefer and why. Thanks.

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I've owned both. No contest. Despite the more complicated U.I. which really isn't bad since you can use it as a basic on/off switch if you prefer, the Photon Freedom is superior. When I carry my lights, I sometimes use them out in the rain without an umbrella. The Photon II isn't water-resistant in the least. I've owned a small handful of them so I know it wasn't just one defective model. The Freedom is so water-resistant that you can literally wash it under fast running water from the sink. Done that a few times with absolutely zero issues.

3. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The Freedom is awesome. However, one caveat is that you must be more careful that it doesn't turn on in your pocket. The switch of the Photon II makes it far more unlikely that it will be accidentally activated in your pocket. That said, the Freedom is GREAT and I keep one dangling off a couple of my different bags.

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

5. FlyingFish

FlyingFish Loaded Pockets

Thank you all for the help! Sounds like both are great lights, but the freedom is a better then the II. I'm going to get one with white light, any suggestions for other colors to get?

6. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

You can put it in tactical/signaling mode to avoid that. There is also an hidden feature to put an automatic turn-off after 3 minutes.

From CPF member BAZZERS:

1. Enter Signal/Morse-code mode by rapidly pressing button 4 or more times in succession. (button should act as momentary-on for any press < 2.5 seconds)
    2. Press and hold button. Continue to hold after light turns off; continue holding until after light emits a short flash, then release button . (No hurry, you can wait many seconds after you see short flash to release button)

= Use Auto-off: =
    3. After step 2,, light will be in normal (Continuous) mode with Auto-off activated. Turn ON light with either short button press (straight to full brightness) or press-and-hold for ramp-up from dim to full-brightness. (Can then also ramp-down to a lower brightness, and/or advance to a flash or SOS mode)
    4. Around 2 minutes, 50 seconds after ON, light will blink once, then begin slow dimming ramp. Ramp is about 10 seconds for full brightness, shorter for dimmer
    5. Around 3 minutes, 0 seconds after ON, light will reach 'off' in the dimming ramp.

= Deactivate Auto-off: =
    (enter and leave Signal mode)
    6. Enter Signal mode by rapidly pressing button 5 or more times in succession.
    7. Press and hold button until light goes off, then release button. (e.g. do not wait the extra seconds for 'blink')
    ...or...
    (engage 'smash' protection)
    8. From off, press and hold button about 40 seconds, until light cycles through modes a few times, then turns off. Release button.

There is many other hidden features in this handy little light. Possibly the light I use most often since it's on my keychain.

7. knuckleduster1

knuckleduster1 Loaded Pockets

Love the freedom - carry one on my keychain, it is my most used light. Bought 5 recently for christmas presents.

8. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

I carried a Doug Ritter edition freedom for a bit, but the on/off switch started to crap out on me after only a few weeks. I could send it in, but haven't made the effort. Was a neat little keychain light while it lasted.

9. ChopperCFI

ChopperCFI Loaded Pockets

While I don't have the Freedom, I do have the Photon 2 and 3. The Photon 3 has the same push to operate interface as the Freedom. Even with its auto off option, I would quickly find the battery dead. I stopped carrying it for just that reason. The Photon 2 has never failed me. However, I don't need water resistance.

10. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

I haven't yet had my photon freedom accidentally turn itself on, but it's handy to know this auto off feature

11. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

12. monkeemoves

monkeemoves Loaded Pockets

I know this endorsement has been done to death, but the Photon Freedom is a stellar light. I wear one around my neck daily, and it has survived showers, pools, rain, and a three-month fishing season in SE Alaska. The UI is adapted to easily, and there's nothing like having a light capable of a very low low.