1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Photon Freedom 101 (puting it all together)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by NeitherExtreme, May 16, 2007.

1. NeitherExtreme

NeitherExtreme Empty Pockets

So I got some Freedoms a little while ago and liked them, so of course I had to search the net and learn everything I could about them. (Yes, that probably make me a class A1 nerd if HAVE to know all about my new keychain light :p ) Anyway... as I was looking I don't think I found any one place that had all the info I wanted, so I kinda compiled it all together and figured I'd put it on here for anyone who wants to see it.

Hope this is helpful/interesting for you! It got awfully long-winded, thats a lot of stuff for just one button! :shocked:

If you find anything to add or somthing I messed up on (which has been known to happen :rolleyes:), let me know.

LRI PHOTON FREEDOM:

ON/Full Power: (From OFF) Press & Release.

OFF: (From any mode except Signal mode) Press & Release.

Fade Up: (From OFF) Push & Hold till desire level. It will blink once when it reaches full power.

Fade Down: (From ON) Push & Hold till desired level. It will blink once when it reaches lowest power.

Blink Modes: Push & Hold for a few seconds (after reaching full power). First will be slow, medium, fast, and SOS. Keep holding to cycle through them and release at desired mode. You can also stop at each one and change to the next one by Pushing & Holding for a few seconds. Also, if you Release as soon as you reach the blinking modes (when it first flashes off) it will start in SOS instead of slow.

50% Mode: From OFF Push until “first light” and then Release quickly. You can now Push & Hold until it reaches the level you would like. It will be using half the power as usual, so “full power” is 50%. This effects all levels and the blinking modes as well. You can check that you are using this mode by setting it to “full power” and waving it back and forth. In 50% mode it will look like a dotted line (strobing). In normal mode it will be solid. It will return to normal mode when it is turned off.

Signal Mode: Press and Release quickly about 5 times. Now the light works like a momentary switch. Push & Hold until it turns off to return to normal.

Demonstration Mode: This is the way the light comes when new. You can also return to this mode by removing the battery(s) and then Pushing & Holding the switch as you put the battery(s) back in. In this mode none of the blinking modes will work, but all the ON/OFF and brightness controls will work. The light will also turn OFF after about 6 seconds. To exit this mode Push & Hold for about 20 seconds (till it turns OFF) or remove and replace the batteries without Holding the switch.

Tips for not draining batteries by accidentally switching ON: 1) Carry the light turned around in the necklace carrier so that the switch is protected. 2) Set the light in Signal mode when done using it. 3) Keep it in Demonstration Mode until you need one of the other functions, and then reset it when you can.

Covert Shield: A small black tube around the LED that eliminates side-light.

Color Advantages (the short version):
    White: Most like natural light, good all around color.
    IR(Infrared): For use with Night Vision equipment.
    Red: Doesn’t disturb night vision. Signal for danger/attention.
    Orange: Compromise of Red and Yellow.
    Yellow: Projects farther than red. Good general illumination.
    Green: Our eyes see green light best, so we can detect many different shades. It is also very efficient.
    Blue: Very Bright. Lights up an area well.
    Turquoise(NightVisionGreen): Similar to Blue, but lighter.
    Purple: Black-light effect.
    UV(UltraViolet): Useful in a number of specialty applicaitons

Batteries: IR, Red, Orange, and Yellow should only be used with 1x2032. The rest can be used with 2x2016 (that’s how they come) for higher output, or 1x 2032 for longer life.

Changing Batteries: Use a small screwdriver or other small tool to pop the back off. There is a tab close to the keychain hole. Then remove the battery(s) and replace.

Changing LEDs: Use 5mm LEDs. The Freedom gives 3 or 6 volts depending on the batteries used. Once you have taken the battery(s) out, the circuit board should come out fairly easily. It is “plugged” into the LED but isn’t otherwise fastened in. Get the back edge started and then you should be able to pull it off the LED. The back of the LED will now be exposed. To remove it use a small tool to push it from the back. NOTE the polarity of the LED. Now cut the leads of the new LED to match the old ones and push it back in, paying attention to the polarity. Now replace the circuit board, batteries, and cover. They are a snug fit to keep water out, but with a little work it should be doable.

Freedom Trivia: Under the battery cap there are different "freedom quotes", such as "Freedom of Speech". It also says "Be Safe, always carry a Photon Microlight."

LINKS:
    PhotonLight: http://www.photonlight.com/
    Discussion Board: http://forum.photonlight.com/index.php

2. vortechs

vortechs Loaded Pockets

Nice summary.

Here are a couple of other tips:

To get the Photon Freedom out of demonstration mode, hold the button down for about 30 seconds (until the light turns off). To get it back into demonstration mode, hold the button down when changing the battery.

There is a 'hidden' mode for the Photon Freedom that limits the maximum brightness to half (for longer life). I'd have to search the PhotonLight forums to remember for sure how to get it into that mode. I believe you push and hold the button, then release it as soon as the light comes on at its lowest level; the light will then operate at half normal brightness (and power consumption) until you turn it off. If you want to use this feature you need to activate it each time you use the light.

3. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

Wow! That little light has quite a lot of features! Might have to pick one up someday. Sounds very cool! :cool:

4. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Loaded Pockets

Ouch these little guys are pricey...or maybe im just use to cheap photons hehe

5. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

You can also try the X-Light micro, they have exactly the same interface as the freedom, but only comes in white LEDs. I have one and it has been a very nice keychain light.
    Price for the X-light micro is $4.95, the freedom around $10. Is not that expensive.

[​IMG]

Luigi

6. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Loaded Pockets

dam i must have been looking at an expensive site then :p Thought they were $19 lol

7. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

Check BatteryJunction they have them at $9.95 and they are reliable, I dealt with them many times and Matt has been a great guy to deal with.

Luigi

8. vortechs

vortechs Loaded Pockets

9. peacefuljeffrey
    • +4 Supporter

Thank you, neitherextreme!

I had never known about the 50% mode. I also didn't know about the quick access to S.O.S. mode.

Frankly, I think it's a wonder that all that programming is jammed into that tiny quarter-sized package! I love my Photon Freedom Ritter version.

10. peacefuljeffrey
    • +4 Supporter

Actually, I think he covered both of those functions. It was based on reading his post that I was able to get my Freedom into "50% mode" having never heard of it before. I found the instructions a bit confusing, but was able to get it to work.

-PJ

11. vortechs

vortechs Loaded Pockets

They weren't covered in the original post when I made my post about them :) . I'm happy they have been added to the original post so new readers don't have to read the whole thread to get all the information. A good summary is one of the signs of a well managed information thread.

12. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

You can get 2016 batteries quite cheaply from the imitation Photon coin cell lights. These cost under $1 (eg from Lighthound) and can sometimes be found for around 50c.

I don't know of a source of cheap 2032s.

13. NeitherExtreme

NeitherExtreme Empty Pockets

Not to be contrary, but they were there originally, :angel:

But props still go to vortechs, he helped me out with some more info on another forum, and I've updated the original post to include that and a couple other things.

Thanks for the help, I've enjoyed putting this together! ;D

14. Jim101

Jim101 Empty Pockets

Great write-up, I have one and really like it..

Jim

15. vortechs

vortechs Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I guess I just missed them. :idiot2:

16. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Always had me thinking... if such a little light can have all these features with an elegant interface... why aren't we seeing more lights like it, but larger?

17. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

The Gladius works in quite a similar way at least it has the press for up or down brightness.
    But I think yours is a great question we should have some other LED lights with similar single-button interfaces.

Luigi

18. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Loaded Pockets

Are there any stores besides www.photonlight.com selling the coloured cases? At the moment the only discounted store i could find is batteryjunction that are selling the different coloured LEDs but only in the black casing :( But thats for $10

19. cbdudley

cbdudley Loaded Pockets

Excellent work - thanks!

I have been carrying one of these for years, and just recently replaced it with one that has all the different operation modes (my old one was just the basic on/off). The original one is probably 15 years old and well-worn, but still works great.

20. Xrunner

Xrunner Loaded Pockets

If you get a new one of these look for the Photon Freedom Max. These already have an upgraded LED, and IIRC don't cost more than the standard one at most places. :D