1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Photobucket Restricting Everyone For Image Hosting

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Ethos, Jun 24, 2017.

1. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

They got around to me today. I downloaded all of my photos from my account there to my PC hard drive, then deleted them from Photobucket and deleted my account there.

Imgur seems to work just fine and is free.

jcombs and Ethos like this.
  2. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I had been using Photobucket for about the past five years, but am forced to go with someone else. They could have given their users some notice about the change.

Not cool.

I just signed up with Imgur. Haven't yet figured out how to move selected pictures, from one album, to another, easily.

I was only at the 68% mark with Photobucket. $400 a year? I can't afford that. Still going through the process of downloading all my pictures, from Photobucket, and uploading them to Imgur.

Is there a way to switch views in Imgur, so I can see thumbnails, rather than large pictures? Can I mark numerous pictures, to do something with them, rather than just one at a time?

Is there a way to automatically upload my pictures at 800 x 600, so they can be in compliance with size limits of most of the forums? All I ever use an image hosting site for, is to share pictures on multiple user forums, so I don't need the highest resolution pictures- just something that can easily be imported into these forums.

I don't think Imgur is all that user-intuitive, but at least it runs a lot faster than Photobucket.

#22 david57strat, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Imgur is not meant to be an archival-based service and i suggest you don't use it as such. I only use it for hosting pictures for more or less direct public publication and for that it is perfect. Storage of my data i do on my private webserver, a separate offline harddrive and an online archive. Stuff like that you should never entrust to a site like photobucket (or imgur for that matter) for reasons that should be quite obvious by now.

Maave likes this.
  4. david57strat

Who are you addressing?

5. Brandon_4078

Brandon_4078 Loaded Pockets

Granted I don't do anywhere near as much image posting as some, but when ever I do I have used Google Photos in the past. Seems to work well and I remember switching from photobucket because it always broke my links if I was to reorganize my photos. Google photos allowed me to reorganize my photos without breaking any external references I may have made to the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I just downloaded and saved my Photobucket images to my laptop, deleted them from my online account, then finally deleted my account. It took FOREVER. I get that nothing is free in life; I'm perfectly willing to watch advertisements for a "free" service (e.g. Pandora and Spotify), but holy cow, PB's website is a slow, clunky time killer.

I think I'll look into ImageShack.

Ethos likes this.
  7. Westerdutch

Oh just a couple of general points really, also addressed to you. Imgur is by no means as fully fledged as photobucket. You will be hard pressed to get the exact same feel, look or functionality elsewhere if you were used to pb and the photobucket guys know this all too well.

8. david57strat

I've never really thought of Photobucket as "fully fledged". It always seemed a little bit simplistic and klunky - but then, I don't really have a lot of experience with image hosting websites. I use them strictly for sharing/posting pictures on user forums, like this one, and, for whatever reason, Photobucket was the one I ended up using, primarily, for all of my photo sharing needs. Trying to upload pictures to the website was always a slow process. Not sure why.

All I want to do is view my albums, as thumbnails, and mark a bunch of pictures that I'd like to move to other albums that make more sense. Can I not do that, with the Imgur interface? Doesn't seem that should be a complicated task. I'm not asking for the moon; just simple tools.

The interface doesn't need to look or feel exactly the same as Photobucket. It just needs to work effectively (lol).

I also want to be able to have it automatically re-size/upload all of my pictures to comply with the 800 x 600 (?) size limit imposed by most user forum websites (a feature that should be available in all picture hosting websites, in my opinion) , so I don't have to do any more conversion, once I go to the site, to grab those picture links, so they can be posted on the user forums, like this one.

Is that asking too much? If so, I guess I need to find another hosting site (other than Imgur). I don't mind paying a small fee to be able to do this; but no way am I paying 400 bucks a year - especially when they're so slow.

I can't believe Photobucket is the only site that would allow for those simple things to be easily usable.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by david57strat, Jul 2, 2017
    #28 david57strat, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Ethos likes this.
  9. Westerdutch

Honestly can't tell you what you can and cannot do album/automation wise. I don't even have an account there, when i want to post a picture i just upload it from my computer or phone to imgur and post the link where i want it. For me there's no need for albums/thumbnails/lists/auto-resize. My phone and pc do all of that way better (and if you resize before uploading it goes way faster anyways).

10. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Can't resize from my phone and my PC hasn't worked in a few years. Kinda a :censored: to resize on my PC anyway. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how or if I can resize on imgur. A lot of sites auto resize to the limited requirements just by posting the link using the toolbar, a few don't which I found out last night on another forum and it was Yuugeee!

Separately,
    I don't trust the Clouds security features with my personal photos beyond what I post publicly so I never plan to use it.

11. Westerdutch

Any smartphone can resize a picture, if its not built in you can get an app for it. If you dont like either of those options Imgur also supports resizing, its found here after you upload a pic;
    http://i.imgur.com/vDWUaI4.jpg
    (made clickable link because pics are kinda large from phone lol)
    Gives you option to resize to anything and even mess up proportions if you like;
    http://i.imgur.com/TDzPDM4.jpg

Ethos likes this.
  12. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I just deleted my account. Even that was a pain. Between constantly filling the screen with ads and moving the 'delete this account' button around, it took a while.

Ethos likes this.
  13. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

Imgur are likely going the same way if rumours are correct. I deleted my old PB account because it was corrupted somehow and rather than display an image, it showed long strings of code.

I opened another, and it doesn't have many pics uploaded yet. It seems the heavy users are getting hit, it's a really poor way to go about business, to simply pull the plug with no warning.

Testing:

[​IMG]

Yep, I'm still on.

14. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

It's not just heavy users, there are people that don't have many pictures or Gb usage that are out. It's a progressive thing.

Someone posted here today and got two likes, boom, their account was down.

15. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Just got an email notification from PB that I will be restricted unless I buy a subscription. No mention of cost until you go to their website (yes, it's $399/year!). Funny, I already cancelled my account, but maybe it didn't accept it for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

I'm awaiting the same, but...

Here's Mimi chasing pheasants in the Bluebells. Still working, but I had to kill my previous account a while ago, so this one doesn't hold many pics.

[​IMG]

17. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

And these nice chaps reside hidden away in Norwegian woods. What a thing to find.

[​IMG]

Though I'll be well pis...annoyed if my account gets ransomed, I still have the images. It's the damage done to forums and blogs that's sad. It shouldn't have been a retro pic kill. Much as I appreciate the business aspect (click ads aren't paying the server fees), the lack of any notice and the ransom just stinks. It's one of the poorest business decisions I've ever seen.

And, the terms state we own our photos, I'm fairly sure they remain on the servers. Like, maybe a few will pay to get their pics back, meaning PB now own our content. Or did until another completely unannounced change took place. This is from the T&Cs a couple of days ago. There is now a different T&C page ignoring our rights and listing options for displaying our pictures again. Meaning the below claim is utter tosh.

"You retain all your rights to any Content you submit, upload or display on or while using Photobucket. This means that you own all the Content you post and are responsible for its settings."

Well, we do own our pics, they are copyrighted to the owner, unless nicked off the Internet. Our photographs and content are ours, they have no rights to them at all. What they've done is probably illegal. Pay them, and they will release your property. Don't pay them, they keep your property in case you decide, at some point, you want it back. Keeping your property to use as a ransom, or keeping it full stop, is illegal.

Last edited by nice65, Jul 7, 2017
    #37 nice65, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  18. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

nice65 likes this.
  19. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

Cool, will have a read. Just edited above btw.

I get on a forum that lets you speak your mind, not the JD, an Outdoors type place, but if you're 'a bit miffed' you can say so. I'm doing my best to not rant and swear

20. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately the damage is done regardless of what they do, so many people already cancelled their accounts.

I'm sure a few-very very few have paid the ransom, like maybe a few people with business or home business blogs, but 99.999% ain't goin there. So they've had to feel the burn. In fact I'm betting a lot of people that were paying closed their accounts out of disgust. I know quite a few (paying) that canceled them over the last year because of lag and other :censored:.

Surely they won't back down. Maybe their plan is to let people see how much "control" they have and ransom with their $399, then after a while they will drop the price to a reasonable fee which they assume everyone will be more willing. The thing is, I don't trust them anymore-never did or I already would have been a paying subscriber- and I imagine many that did will have a bad taste in their mouth.

A few people have mentioned that their site now says that some paying accounts will still be good until Dec 31, 2018--- but I'm thinking yeah, and on Jan 1 you get hit with an auto draft for $399. :D