1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Photobucket Restricting Everyone For Image Hosting

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Ethos, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Photobucket has started limiting posting to 3rd party sites (forums like this one) to people that have a non-paying account. What this means is if this forum is full of Photobucket images it will soon be a stupid cat in a box suggesting you sign up and pay a fee for membership.

Not happening to you yet? I have seen it for over a week on other sites and just thought someone wasn't paying for their subscription, but I had a free account and it worked fine, but today I got an email telling me it wouldn't be so anymore.

Here's my issue, Photobucket was only charging $9.99 for years now, however, their lag is terrible, always a site maintenance issue, and advertising. To me advertising is the biggest issue, you can't even log on without multiple ads popping up, they are all around the border, Then they have a popup for "Join Photobucket" with about four ads in it...."btw, buy our prints and canvass with your photos. Even if I paid for the service their lag and downtime is often really inconvenient. With all of the issues together I don't trust the paid membership to be any better, in fact I know about ten people from two other forums that dropped their Photobucket accounts for this very reason.

My point is, I won't be using Photobucket for any image hosting.

I also read where another image hosting site is doing similar. So we may be out of luck all the way. <shrug>

Here is an example of a thread I did with multiple pictures.
    https://www.edcforums.com/threads/tops-alrt-edc-blade.137667/

I didn't start this thread to dog Photobucket as much as it may sound like, they've offered me a free service for two years, but I don't think that service is worth my money with the hassle. The reason I brought it up was for fair warning as to why the photos may disappear from all of us Photobucket users and maybe other services as well.

If anyone is using a service that is simple enough and preferably no fees, or at least reliable service with fair overall value please share here. STILL that leaves many of us rebuilding broken links. I'm sure forums across the net are obviously having these same issues.

2. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I attempted to sign up to see what they would charge because it did say $9.99 yearly. They say no ads, full resolution, etc.....for :eek:$399.00 a :censored:year!!!:confused::confused:

:mad::stomp:

Bulldog87 likes this.
  3. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Rest in pieces, photobucket. I've hated them ever since they started aggressively directing images to HTML pages. "You wanted to save that image? Screw you, here's a redirect page, now you saved a corrupt file."

I use imgur.com. They're mostly memes but they're free and let me direct link without any shenanigans. Right click, copy image url. Album management is a little clunky though. 8/10.

Ethos likes this.
  4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I've been using imgur too for forever. Been solid thus far...

david57strat likes this.
  5. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Is this for all Photobucket users or just those with large libraries? Just wondering since I saw one of your posts in another thread where the photos were blocked/replaced with an image that suggested it was a volume issue.
    Ugh, I hope I don't have to load all my pics on a different site...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I don't think so, I've seen enough people lately that had it happen and it seems to be progressive. It would be to much of a coincidence for me and multiple others to all have our libraries fill up over a week. I only have a few hundred, maybe a little over 300 and I'm far from filling my allowance.

7. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Seeing more members here affected now.

8. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Posting to follow thread. Been using Photobucket for years, haven't uploaded any new pics in a while but if this is true.. dang, time to migrate.

9. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Sorry, was just testing this here

Are you saying its based on the SITE or the person?
    I see the thread you used as an example, but also see that mine still work etc
    So I was unsure how it was

Thanks for heads up though

Ethos likes this.
  10. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

This is across multiple forums so it's not an isolated issue. On another forum one member said he owns a RV forum and is now missing over 20,000 pictures.

11. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Tapatalk (as imperfect as it is) continues to be my means of posting images. Fortunately I use my phone for EDC photography so it is only a minor inconvenience. I refuse to go to the effort to upload my pics to some third party and then link them elsewhere.

12. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Yup, I have been nailed by this.

Looks like I am going to spend the next couple of days grabbing my photo's from the site and reposting selected ones with a different host - yet to be determined

13. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Looks like they revised their policy terms effective June 28 and everyone is affected. I do have an Imgur account but have never used it, looks like I might start.

I have never used tapatalk but may look into that also, lots of people dislike it but it may be the best alternative. I like having a 3rd party site to store photos but not certain that imgur is seamless enough.

Any other suggestions?

14. ItsHardToKnow

So I just checked some old posts of mine (well, not that old) and I got that same image as we've seen, the little gauge.
    Was making a post in a local forum about this, as its ridiculous, and went to post an image as an example and it worked...I dont understand.
    Are they limiting how OFTEN you can do it or what?

Example, this is from my PB and it seems to be working

[​IMG]

15. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

No limit, it's not possible now with the changes in their policy. Actually it is possible but will cost you $399/year......

Ethos likes this.
  16. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Not working...

Ethos likes this.
  17. ItsHardToKnow

Interesting, I see it on my end.
    This bums me out about PB, oh well, off to something else! Cause Im NOT paying 400 a year!

Ethos and Lightnig like this.
  18. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Oh come on! We've all got a spare $400 lying around so we can post Internet pictures.:unsure:

ItsHardToKnow likes this.
  19. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

20. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Even if I do choose to spend $400 gratutitously, I will buy myself another knife. I will NOT be giving it to photobucket.

I was paying for one of their subscriptions not long ago, for the higher bandwidth limit (I gotta say, you all here are real bandwidth hogs... ;) ;) ), but let it drop a while ago. I would have happily continued paying the 7 or 8 bucks a month to continue the service had that been an option - but given their attempt to strong arm me into paying 4+ times that much without warning or additional services provided, NO.

To heck with Photobucket, I will find some other hoster to pay a reasonable subscription fee too..

Ethos likes this.