1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Photo hosting server????

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by DCBman, Apr 20, 2017.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

What's a good photo hosting server site these days???

I've been using photobucket for years, but it's gotten so pathetically jammed up with ads and crap it's become unusable (and completely unreliable)...and I hate it now!

What's a better alternative?

And...how much (if not free)?

Lastly, do you own the content you post on the site you recommend (or do you surrender the rights by posting content)?

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Imgur is my go to site for posting things. Free, no account needed (but you can make one to track your images easier) and it's nice and easy. I do think you surrender the rights on the pictures but honestly you do so anyways when you publicise anything nowadays no matter how or where you do it.

DCBman likes this.
  3. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I use imagesafe.org. Free. Little to no downtime. Create account or not. Rights? Unless you're a corporation with a legal team, it's pretty much a non-issue.

DCBman likes this.
  4. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Isn't that the way with just about everything anymore????

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into it.

5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I'll look into this one too. I have to do something because PB absolutely SUCKS anymore!

6. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Testing Imgur..

[​IMG]

...3rd time's a charm!

7. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Oh man, LOOK OUT...I'm gonna' go picture crazy now!!

:D

Isla TX likes this.
  9. variable

variable Loaded Pockets

FYI: seems like they are out of business, but if you want to buy the site...

Hope you got all your stuff backed up.

10. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Yeah, looked to me like the domain was for sale, and there were links to some other Citrix subscription service (which wasn't free...$16/year).

Imgur worked though.

11. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

I use Servimg. Very easy of use!

12. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Huh. Hadn't used them in a couple weeks so I didn't notice. No big deal for me, I have local copies of everything.

Only bummer is that my images will disappear from my previous posts (unless they're cached on this site, which is probably not the case).

Last edited by Blackheart, Apr 21, 2017
    #12 Blackheart, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

OK. You guys have me totally confused. What is the relationship between tapatalk and these photo hosting services? Does this mean that when (yes I said when) I finally get to taking pics for posting I have to use both a photo hosting service and tapatalk? I'm not usually this tech stupid but this has me totally confused.

Moshe ben David

14. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

You're not as confused as you may think. Tap a talk is just a form of a hosting site with some extra social media features thrown in.

If you used a hosting site you wouldn't need TAT. TAT is another application running in the background locally. A host eliminates the processing overhead.

15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Flickr remains awful which is why I rarely post pics.

16. Westerdutch

Try imgur... its really great!

17. Westerdutch

Yeah, tapatalk is just a way to view any forum-esq content on a (mostly) mobile device in a more friendly manner so without the markup and stuff that 'real' computers like to use (mainly large horizontal screen estate vs small vertical one).

If you shoot a picture that image will be on your phone/camera. You need to place it on the great wide interwebs so that people can see em. For that you need a spot to hang it somewhere digitally so to speak on a web server somewhere that never gets turned off and is easily accessible for everyone that wants to see your stuff. Now some forums have a local hosting back-end so you can sometimes just hook your picture in your post, but that can go downhill fast both size/traffic-wise and also from a legal standpoint when users start dumping files of a more dubious nature. So its better to let a website handle it that built for just that; storing and showing pictures! Imgur is one of those sites, you dump a pic there and you place a link to that image right here on the forum inside your post that will display your photo. All your text will be right here on the forums and your picture will be shown just as if its also on the forums, but its actually somewhere else entirely handing over all the hard work of presenting and storing those photos to some other service. Pretty clever if you ask me.

1 person likes this.
  18. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

That's a pretty good explanation of how that all works, Westerdutch. I've been using Flickr with no issues for a while now. Every once and a while they change the user interface and I have to relearn it and once in a while I've had the site not load correctly, but it usually works well and file transfers are pretty quick and easy. I just don't post pics much because I don't have a smart phone and I'm lazy. Too lazy to hook the camera up to the computer, download pics, edit pics, and host pics. I generally only post pics when I've got some sort of new piece of gear.

19. FA Tre
    • In Omnia Paratus

FA Tre Loaded Pockets

If you have an account with tapatalk, you can post directly from your mobile without needing a hosting service.

20. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Yes, this is the niche' for the tapatalk application, use with a cellular phone. Cellular phones seem to involve extra steps to get pictures. This is intentional on the part of the cellular providers (who heavily subsidize phone development), in an effort to try to get you to use data from your plan to upload pics to their 'cloud' applications (where you'll use even more data, like 10x more, every time you touch the picture). It's all marketing. Tapatalk gets around this and mimics a photo host. Tapatalk would have an upstream swim to sell their application for use on a laptop or PC.