1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Phone Preference?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by darth_guy101, Nov 25, 2011.

1. darth_guy101

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

This isn't a recommendation post, I'm just curious to see what cell (smart) phones all you edc-ers are carrying. As of right now, I have an iPhone 3gs 8gb. Plan on upgrading soon. More than likely to a Droid phone...

2. TV09

TV09 Loaded Pockets

Currently have a droid incredible, previously a blackberry tour. After this one, I am not sure where I am headed since the previous phones got old and I do not really want to jump on the iphone bandwagon.

3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I really love almost everything about smartphones so most of the time i carry my little android in my pocket.... What i do not like about em however is that they are kind of fragile and a bit complex to operate at time (especially in the rain) so thats why i also have a nice old classic 5140i or two on stand-by duty!

Nobody ever said you'd have to choose only ONE phone.....

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Don't use one much, so I just carry a small flip phone. I prefer an ipod touch for apps.

5. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Pretty much the same here. No more than I use my cell, I could get by with a trac phone. My usage, since we got the cells, has been <100 minutes/month, on average.
    My wife OTH, uses pretty close to 1800 min/month.

If I had a smart phone w/internet access my usage would probably be a lot higher---I can't justify the extra cost for that. In other words, I don't use the phone aspect much , but I would be all over the web. I like the web.

6. HybridMomentsPass

Moto Droid (THE droid, original, I get so sick of saying that and then people saying 'yeah, well which android phone' 'the droid' yeah, i get its android but which one...' etc etc etc)

Got it the day it released which was right at two years ago now
    I am probably going to get the new RAZR just after Christmas. We'll see.

7. drb328
    • In Omnia Paratus

drb328 Loaded Pockets

The razr is a nice phone, i has the original Droid as well...it was great, even had a detachable screen after 2 years!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

8. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

I have an iPhone 4S in the mail and should be here in a couple days. I wouldn't recommend a Droid to anyone anymore. I've had my Droid X for the last year or so and it has just been one collossal piece of ****. I'm sure this doesn't speak for all Android phones, but it has certainly discouraged me from ever buying one again.

9. pumbaa

pumbaa Banned

I have the Droid-X.. I love it. Bought a cheap tablet too but it is not really good. Thinking of switching over to a Motorola tablet with 4G.

10. CobraXX3

CobraXX3 Loaded Pockets

I've had my iPhone 4 since they came out, it's been the best.

11. RonReagan

RonReagan Loaded Pockets

I prefer Android phones. At the moment I have the OG Droid (slow) which is rooted with Cyanogenmod applied. You can't really experience the OS to its full potential without rooting. You can overclock, ad-block, try out other roms, etc. It is really simple to do and you have to really try hard to brick your phone in the process. There are many walkthroughs online if anyone is interested.

Now I'm just waiting until my contract expires to look for an upgrade. Luckily I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data, but that might mean buying a phone out of pocket of I want to maintain that.

12. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

I hear you there. Three phones so far and I'm still grandfathered in myself.

13. ijakers

ijakers Loaded Pockets

My personal phone is iPhone 3GS 32gb. Waiting for it to die to upgrade to 4s. I also carry a Samsung infuse android for by business. Having used both on a daily basis, I prefer the iPhone hands down. That could be because I am just used to the iPhone.

14. mrjam3s

mrjam3s Loaded Pockets

I believe you are still grandfathered in with unlimited data whether you buy a phone out of pocket or upgrade thru Verizon or one of their dealers. Just as long as there is no interuption in your service.

I just upgraded from the Droid Incredible to the Thunderbolt. Best Buy had them for free with 2-yr contract. I didn't want to spend $299 for the Razr, Rezound, or Prime.

I hope this helps!

mrjam3s

15. CrazyCleave

CrazyCleave Empty Pockets

I am a systems integrator, and my clients ask me this question almost very day. Like all tech, you need the tool that best fits the job. But other than the physical characteristics which are all personal taste, they really come town to the GUIs. If you like open source and all the possibilities that offers in a general sense, and especially if you really need the phone to operate as a stand alone device and not interoperate with other systems, Droid may be your thing. There certainly is a lot of choice is in this area. But if you want seamless syncing, I would stick with iOS. It still has a very long way to go, but with Apples giant cloud center in NC, their devices have a central brain to manage all that data over the air so it's automated, and to me, the more automation the batter. Very few apps support it now, but it's quite clear that the future isn't folders and files, but all your documents "inside" the app and available weather using your spreadsheet on your desk, tablet, or phone. ICloud is the only technology I have seen work in this modal environment so far, that's not to say the open model won't have it someday, after all, it's not like Google doesn't have big cloud data centers.

16. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I carry an Evo 4G. Thank god for Sprint and unlimited data :)

17. madchild

madchild Loaded Pockets

Samsung Galaxy SII

Fast, changeable battery, 4G, big screen and does everything I need

Android is the best mobile OS in my opinion (I've had them all)

18. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I guess youre doing something wrong then.... i run Gingerbread on a G1 (the first ever commercial Android phone) and even tho the OS is stripped to the bone for obvious size and memory problems and its still not winning any speed races its actually very very useable and stable. If i remember correctly your OGD has double the processing power so it should do quite good speed-wise.....

19. HybridMomentsPass

I am in the same boat, very happy about that

20. Traderdell

Traderdell Loaded Pockets

iPhone 4. I've had it for twelve months and consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made.