1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Philly

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ItsHardToKnow, Jul 11, 2017.

1. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Tell me about it.

Knife laws.
    Places to go.
    Places not to go.

Go.

2. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

Mutter Museum

ItsHardToKnow likes this.
  3. obonaven

obonaven Loaded Pockets

It's a cool pace but kind of expensive for what it is.

4. ItsHardToKnow

Looked it up, looks awesome.
    But, like @obonaven said, 20 bucks to check it out seems steep

5. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Don't go. Terrible airport, killer trains and rough traffic. Past transportation, the city gets slightly better.

In my last three visits, the only sightseeing places I enjoyed was the birthplace of Marine Corps, the Olympia and Maritime Museum. The Liberty Bell was mobbed by Japanese tourists and Independence Hall surprisingly did not resonate with me.

Food is good. Schedule a meal time to be near the Reading Terminal Market, numerous good food vendors there.

6. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

Since nobody else has mentioned it and you specifically asked, knives are completely illegal in the city. The law states that you must be using it for work at the time to possess it. If you are planning to visit historical sites plan on airport style security. For general walking around the city I stick with a Swiss army knife to avoid pocket clips and I feel like they are generally as harmless looking as a knife gets.

I agree with Reading Terminal Market. It's my favorite place to eat in Philadelphia because it has everything you can imagine, and some things you can't (like chocolate dipped onions).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sully likes this.
  7. ItsHardToKnow

THANK YOU!

That helps me
    I think I'll pack the Wingman instead of a wave or CX skele

Josh likes this.
  8. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

You do not want to be caught with a knife in the city of Philadelphia. A hard-:censored: officer can charge you. It will cost you a fine an jail time.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Totally agree with you about a SAK. My usual strategy in places like NYC etc is to carry one. My usual choice is a Huntsman; given the number of tools on it I guess I'm trusting it would not be a problem. But if LE in Philly is as tough as the comments here, maybe not? So which SAK do you carry in places like Philly? I'm hoping you're not going to recommend to any of us nothing bigger than a Classic! LOL

No, I'm not the OP; but this sort of info is useful to have in general.

Thanks

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

sully, ItsHardToKnow and Josh like this.
  10. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Other than the more obvious big ticket historical places, I would recommend
    - Philadelphia magic gardens
    - National Liberty Museum
    - Eastern State Penitentiary

11. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

I'm very partial to the compact for urban edc. It's thin and light and disappears in the pocket. I find the knife blade, scissors and toothpick to be the most commonly used tools for me in a city type setting. Mostly for opening packages and removing tags from purchases. I'll generally keep a more complete tool in the car or room in such environments because I personally don't seem to have emergency needs requiring a multitool in the city streets. I say that as only a visitor of cities. I'm most definitely a country mouse. If I lived in a city I might feel less inclined to be less prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

The Philadelphia ordinance is vague since cutting weapon is not defined. Does that include scissors or a derma safe blade both are common items for personal first aid kits.

http://www.phila.gov/philacode/html/_data/title10/CHAPTER_10_800_SAFETY/10_820_Cutting_Weapons_in_Publ.html

(1) Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.

13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

All I can say guys is DANG! Up until now, mostly on these forums I've seen discussions of NYC, Chicago, and most of California plus Europe for discussions of blades and prohibitions thereof. Had no idea Philly had gone off the deep end so bad.

Good thing I don't feel an urgent drive to go touch the liberty bell or have a Philly cheese steak...!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Josh likes this.
  14. ItsHardToKnow

Holy cow, thats harsh!

15. ItsHardToKnow

Philadelphia, birthplace of freedom says you cant have a small blade.
    Thanks America...

16. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

The Philadelphia Museum of Art is a world class museum - definitely worth the time.
    The Barnes Museum and Rodin Museum are also great.
    I agree about Reading Terminal Market - the cannolis there are better than the ones I had in Italy.
    U.Penn has buildings that look like they came from a Harry Potter movie.
    All of Center City for blocks around Rittenhouse Square is a great neighborhood to walk and eat and check out the town. I haven't found anywhere on the west coast with the same nightlife.
    City Hall is definitely worth a walk through.