1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Phill's British EDC

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by phill, Dec 5, 2015.

1. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Apparently its been over four years since I did one of these.

My current situation is I'm a full time student (accounting and finance) here in Britain, so I have no need to survive in the woods and even if I wanted to carry a weapon (I dont) I couldn't anyway under our laws. My current pack is missing a spare pen refill and plasters as I havent gotten around to ordering more since using my last one and maybe could do with a few more first aid things, I never use meds so the only thing I tend to carry is small disposable plasters, but I have been thinking of getting a more advanced mini kit in the new year with stuff like eye wash capsules just in case. This is more or less what I carry daily at uni and have carried at work in my internships and also on holiday abroad (I remove the big SAK completely and the mini SAK, Micra and spare phone battery go through checked baggage to be included back in on the other side of all the customs checks). I assume the SAK would be fine in the countries I travel to, but I almost never use it anyway as the mini champ SAK is the perfect urban blade.

Stuff on me:
    [​IMG]

This is my usual uni stuff. Usually my smartwatch on the nato band is worn, I got one as a cheap refurb, gambling if I would like it, and its become a big part of my carry since I did. I'll wear my skeletonised Rotary automatic on a silver mesh band if I want to be classy like at an interview or whatever. Galaxy S5 phone is fine, I want an upgrade but ill just wait till my contract runs early next year and get the S7 probably, I like the expandable memory with MicroSD and the swappable battery (more later) and I have always used Android devices and it works perfectly for my flow. It's LCD flash used as a light (and tbh the screen shine from my smartwatch depending on the task light trying to find a lightswitch or a keyhole) makes carrying a small portable light in my pocket fairly pointless, it just never got used as it never fit in the role of quick to deploy (my watch is a quick swipe to the torch mode) or was something that had lots of other uses (like my phone) to justify carrying it. I'll include my old Preon on my keys if I am going out at night without my bag though, because its best to have some kind of primary light.

I usually just use the leather card case with a few cash notes stuffed in the middle but have the moneyclip if I have a lot more (it lives in my bag if I am not carrying it). My keys are really simple, just three house keys, an alox swisschamp and a custom made leather keyring (one side a map of my place, the other a map of my g/f's, we're long distance so its a nice thing I like to carry) all on the main coupler part of the Wenger chain I did an old review on here way back in 2008. I have a Brewzer Pockettool that I sometimes include or my Chinese atwood copy (see below), especially if I am back home so not going around with my bag that often.

[​IMG]

My bag, a Wenger model of some kind I dont recall. Love Wenger Swissgear bags (and SAK related stuff in general), awesome balance between price and quality and very non-threatening. As I have mentioned I've carried this abroad and use it as my checked bag (I love to travel).

On the outside is a fold out umbrella hidden on the left of picture, the tactical penguin which I got in Manila Ocean Park as a souvenir that makes it even less threatening as if possible. There is also a small blue biner clipped onto a shoulder strap, that gets a fair amount of use.

[​IMG]
    Umbrella and mentioned biner, the umbrella I have had about two years now, it was super cheap and generic but I've never had a problem with it - I kinda want it to break so I can buy something high quality that works exactly the same cos I have a sickness I think, ha. In the front mesh pocket I carry the other items. The top grey item is a rain cover that goes over the entire of the bag (it is fairly shower proof but not truly waterproof). The other two things are plastic carrier bags.

[​IMG]
    Front pocket stuff
    [​IMG]
    The front pocket carries a good range of bits and pieces. The silver and black "pen" on the far left is a screwdriver I got from a Christmas cracker a year ago, shockingly good quality, carries nine driver bits in the body as shown. I have a spare rite in the rain pen that I won in a contest on this forum way back in the day, then three highlghters, a sharpie, my AA flashlight (from DX about six years ago, never had a problem with it), my red Farmer SAK (I have a Spyderco Bob Terzuola and a bunch of other SAKs but this is my fave EDC blade, very people friendly, sharp and functional), the top row has post its, two spare AA batteries, an Atwood style tool (I've owned real ones before, the cheap copies are as good), a Leatherman Micra and finally on the right is a combo ruler with sticky fluo page highlighter tab things. The knife and light are kinda hidden away under a flap (the light slot I think is for a swisstool), the micra and mono-tool are held vertical on clips and everything else is easy enough to spot.

[​IMG]
    Here is the top of my main compartment. There are these holes between the top electronics part to the main part to route headphone cables. I have a short length of chain and two split rings with some connectors on here. It keeps my cocoon upright in the bag and I have a couple of s-biners and on the handle of the cocoon is a split ring with a connector for my keys so I can carry them in my bag whenever I want to (not often, but options are always good).

[​IMG]
    There are often cereal bars here and if I have a long day I carry lunch, but these are my current bag contents in the main compartment. A can of deodorant, a belt and a cheap water bottle are self explanatory. The cocoon grid it you can see the keyring connector on here on the left. I carry a USB cable, fold down USB travel plug and a stand for my phone/tablet and at the bottom is a 16gb USB drive with a small cable to connect it to my phone and table. When I am travelling this will include sunblock and shades but not required in Britain in winter (or in summer, usually). I need to start including my beanie, gloves and scarf but they are currently at my parent's place so Ill just be a bit cold for the next week or so till I'm next there. Regularly seen on my cocoon is my Strikefire stainless steel spork (its basically a clone of the Light My Fire ones)

[​IMG]

The top shallow pocket basically just carries stuff I either use often or dont have a better place for. Glasses (only really need them for reading projected slides of text at a distance), tissues, a comb which I got in a hotel in Beijing (its amazing the random things you find in random places), some Sennheiser buds (love this model, bought this set in August in Kuala Lumpur), a couple of combo toothpick floss things that I realised I need more of, the white Samsung case has a spare battery and charges it separately so I just carry it together (there is a slot for, I think, a small pre-smartphone mobile that it fits perfectly into so I carry it there instead of on the cocoon grid it) and finally my main pen which is the Boker Plus tactical that uses the space pen refill (I only use this type of pen). I kinda love how no one can ever work out how to click the pen open and closed, lol.

[​IMG]

The final part of the bag is the very back part. I carry a big expanding folder that needs neatening up soon (my term ends next week so when I go home Ill sort something better like proper folders for my notes), two A4 pads, one dedicated to my dissertation research project and a general notes one, my Samsung Galaxy S Tab Pro which at 8.4" is the perfect size and a fold out bluetooth keyboard that kinda sucks but gets the job done. I basically just carry the keyboard if I will be doing a little work at uni involving a bunch of typing. Its like in between using a touch screen keyboard (bad) and using my big laptop at home (good, but not portable). My old Chromebook was the perfect middle ground for this but it got gifted away to my g/f. I am looking forward to actually working as an accountant making good money to afford an ultrabook, lol. Tablets are still just good third screens but and can barely work as first screens replacing laptops for a tiny number of things.

2. Mr. Martines

Mr. Martines Loaded Pockets

Nice thread :) Will definitely watch this. Students' threads are my favourite...

Odoslané z CHM-U01 pomocou Tapatalku

Antithetik likes this.
  3. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

Looking forward to your thread fella. Good to see other British threads

sent from S6 edge plus. boom!!

Antithetik likes this.