1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Philippinean EDC

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Fukurai, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

air condition! the simple way to get moisture away...;)

Fukurai likes this.
  2. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Furukai-would you still be in the Philippeans as of now?

How is it out there? And how's your EDC setup goin?
    I was going to "like challenge" you back-but I'm gona need you to post more EDC pics. :p

Fukurai likes this.
  3. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm in the Philippines till next September, so still a while. My EDC doesn't really change, so that's why there aren't that many pics ;) My setup is doing great, finally came around to carry my LD12, you really need it. I'll get some pics later :D

chas353 and Cornholio2188 like this.
  4. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Nice! can't wait ;)

5. Roood

Roood Loaded Pockets

PM me
    Where in the Philippines Fukurai? Im in Cebu, PM me if ever your close by. :D

6. sandspike

sandspike Empty Pockets

Condoms, wouldnt want to catch a case of bamboo fever.;)

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

In the beginning stages of planning our trip, and we are fortunate to have lots of extended family over there to visit and help show us around; starting in Manila and working our way around Luzon. We do have a few questions, though. One was about electronics -- if I am reading things right, power over there uses U.S.-style blade plugs/outlets, but it is at 220 Volt / 50 Hz. So I started looking closer at a lot of our battery chargers, phone charges, and whatnot... most say 100-240 Volt, 50 / 60 Hz. So I'm guessing that those will work just fine for juice? Another question: Just how easy is it to find different battery types? It sounds like CR123's are pretty much out of the question. How about AA's and AAA's? Any Energizer lithium availability? Prices sky-high or reasonable?

As far as EDC, I'm thinking of trying to keep things lightweight and small. Here's a rough idea of what I'm thinking, please feel free to suggest any changes, thanks!

Bag: Camelbak HAWG or el cheapo Jansport Super Break.
    Tool: LM Micra in checked baggage.
    Nav: Garmin Foretrex GPS and/or wrist compass.
    Light: Petzl headlamp and/or small flashlight.
    Fire: BiC lighter.
    Signal: Whistle, 2x3 signal mirror.
    Water: Most important! Nalgene or Camelbak bottle, possibly bring purification tabs or UV filter?
    Secure Storage: Some sort of Pacsafe product or pouch?
    Misc: Passport, P.I. map, travel guidebook, notebook, pen & pencil, RX meds, OTC meds, small FAK, T.P., travel towel, sunscreen and bug juice, baseball cap, sunglasses.
    Camera: Mirrorless type or else P&S.
    Comms: iPhone (need to unlock, works on GSM?).
    Power: Various chargers, spare batteries, Eneloops + charger?

ran23 likes this.
  8. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice that you're coming around? When will you be here?

So regarding the electronics. There are two different kind of plugs here. One has this two blade like plug and the other one has two round plugs. You'll find both. I'm not keen on the us style plugs, but the easiest thing is to go to a local department store and just ask for an adapter, shouldn't be more than 25-50ct here. You find them in every mall here (and we have a lot of malls here). Regarding charging your electronics should work as long as the charger covers up to 240V no problem here.
    For batteries you should stick with AA or AAA. Haven't seen 123s here, but I'm sure you will get them at least in Manila, heck, you can literally everything here in Manila
    , as long as you can pay for it;) I've seen lithium AAs here, but IIRC they were a bit on the pricier side, maybe something like 3-4$ for two. You just might bring your eneloops and throw a bunch of spare bats in your bag in case you can't charge your stuff for a while. Never happened to me though.

So for edc:
    - bag: as long as everything fits in it's good. I carry a tnf big shot, works fine for me. It shouldn't have much bling bling and you might want to avoid putting stuff in outer pockets for security reason.
    - tool: carry what ever you want to. I carry a folder iwb at one o'clock and if I'm traveling a lm blast in my bag.
    - nav: I don't have one so I can't say much about it. It mostly depends on what you're going to do. A travel guide is mostly enough and if you really consider hiking you might hire a local guide, cause you can get easily lost sometimes.
    - light: I have a small keychain light and if I'm going out and expect it to get home when it's dark, I add my fenix ld12. Keep in mind that it gets dark at 6-7 already. In my chargerbox I always carry my petzl headlight just in case.
    - fire: bics should be fine and you can get lighters or matches everywhere
    - signal: again, it depends on what you're planning to do. If you go to the tourist attractions you might not need it. If you want to visit the local tribes somewhere off the road it might be helpful.
    - water: you can bring your own bottle. I'd might safe the space and just use the plastic bottles here. You can buy water in every supermarket and sari-sari store (kinda small street stores). This water is normal drinking water. You might want to avoid tap water, but in local eateries you get service water which is clean water from a purification station. You can bring filters and uv cleaners, I never felt the need for them, I was in the province some weeks ago and I don't want to know where the water came from there. Think just a nearby spring or river. Didn't kill me and didn't got the runs. But I'm already kinda used hence I'm for 8 months here now. You can avoid ice cubes, I use them since I'm here, it's just too hot to not use them;)
    - secure storage: I planned to bring this hidden wallet, you can put on your waist and in your pants. Forgot it at home, didn't miss it. It might be useful for traveling to carry your IDs and larger amounts of money. As a primary wallet IMO not useful, because it just takes to much time when paying. Keep some bills and change in your pockets for everyday stuff, jeepneys, food etc.
    - misc: can't add anything. Should be ok. Sunprotection is important depending on the time and season, I never used any kind of repellent here and other than my working space I never got bitten somehow.
    - camera: bring whatever you like. I only have a small point and shoot camera, works fine, but you see people with their dslrs everywhere.
    - com: I bought a local phone here because I was worried about my phone getting stolen. I think that if you take care and have some situational awareness, you can also bring your iPhone. There are enough people with the latest electronic gadgets around here. I'm not sure about the connection though. Best you ask your local carrier. Depending on how long you're here, consider buying a local SIM card 1$ or so.
    -power: see above

I hope I covered everything, in case you have questions about anything, sights, travel, people, behavior etc. feel free to ask me also via pm. Otherwise I wish you a pleasant trip :)

Driven with a Jeepney to the Internet.

bigfoot likes this.
  9. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Oh man, that helps a lot -- thank you very much!! Looking like it might be in Sept. for the trip. We probably won't be doing much (if any) hiking, but I figured the basic survival stuff might come in handy if we get stuck somewhere. Same with the GPS; will likely be more for marking our lodging or geocaching. The advice on electronics is great, we will have to pick up one of those adapters, and probably just bring the Eneloops.

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Quick post-trip report: Everybody had a great time, got to see lots and lots of relatives, ate plenty of good food, and saw many sights! Thanks for the great tips in this thread -- many were very handy. Photo below from Hundred Islands Nat'l. Park...

[​IMG]

ran23, Lynx and Fukurai like this.
  11. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's good to hear. I didn't made it to the 100 islands nat. park due to lack of time and then a bit the bad weather. Seen so many beaches and done island hopping twice, so it's ok. Maybe next time ;)

bigfoot likes this.
  12. Rrrino43

Rrrino43 Loaded Pockets

Just got back 8 days ago and spent a night and 2 days in 100 Islands Pangasinan.Another night in Hacienda Escudero. Awesome holiday and great seeing relatives from both sides again. 16 days was a bit short but thats life and it makes me more determined to save up and return again.For EDC I found a poncho(heavy duty) to be handy during the rainy days,paracord for instant clothesline at the hotels in Manila, insect repellant(Bushman australian made used by some buddies ex-army) and gorrilla tape to be most helpfull. When my wife saw the hotel price for laundry per piece she was glad this boyscout had paracord and I only had to purchase sachets of laundry detergent to get the sweat off my clothes and I was good to go.A reliable torch(flashlight) when going to power outage prone areas where some relatives lived is handy.All this kit lived in my reliable handy black moab10 :)

Fukurai likes this.
  13. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Although local laundry prices aren't that bad. I paid roughly 25 peso per kilo ;) Glad you liked it.

14. Rrrino43

Rrrino43 Loaded Pockets

I wasn't so fortunate to source out a local laundry service and it would have been cheaper to go to an SM mall and purchase clothes.I can't wait to go back to see relatives again.Oh and the shopping and get more tattoos done.

Fukurai likes this.
  15. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, also can't wait to get back there ;)

16. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

Going back to P.I. in 2015 for a formal wedding ceremony with my wife. Can't wait. Plan on EDC'ing my H4 Kato and a TAD Litespeed..

bigfoot, Fukurai and Toepack24 like this.
  17. Toepack24

Toepack24 Loaded Pockets

wet wipes and bring a big water bottle lol.

18. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

and a hankie and slippers :p

19. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Before we left to return home, we had accumulated quite the stockpile of pocket T.P. packs and bottled water. :)