1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Performance Anxiety

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Chaz, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Chaz

Chaz Loaded Pockets

So I have probably $1000 worth of Maxpedition, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, County Comm, 5.11, etc. bags, backpacks, and pouches. Then why do I carry my EDC stuff around in a plastic grocery bag?

Sriracha, odg, bigfoot and 4 others like this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

3. tdb

tdb Loaded Pockets

HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

4. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

Probably because none of those companies make a reusable grocery bag. :uhhuh:

odg, GatorMedic, ManVsLawn and 3 others like this.
  5. khawk3

khawk3 Loaded Pockets

I have to ask... why the plastic grocery bag?

6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have bags inside of zip locks... inside of mesh bags... inside of grocery bags... normal

And a sea to summit inside of it's own bag..inside of a paper sack..inside of a stuff sack.

7. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

[​IMG]

odg, F-Bobby, Myrddraal and 10 others like this.
  8. 400LBGUERRILLA

400LBGUERRILLA Loaded Pockets

When my bags, packs and pouches started to overflow the spare bedroom closet and got to the point that I could barely get to anything because of all the bags on the floor and stacked on top of everything I thought I had a problem.

Now that the collection has spread to a second spare bedroom, a spare office and a car trunk so full of bags there's no room for groceries I realize there is no problem I can't solve with the right new bag.

Pete3, ghostyjack, PaTom and 5 others like this.
  9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

10. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

nice bags are expensive and more difficult to replace. plastic grocery bags are free and infinitely available to the point where whole islands of them float around in the ocean.

11. Gorram

Gorram Loaded Pockets

It may be time to start an BA group (Bags Anonymous) - like AA. "My UN is Gorram and I have a bag addiction". To be clear, I'm not looking to be cured!

F-Bobby, Tom_J and ManVsLawn like this.
  12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty much what Justin said - we tend to take it to an extreme, because we tend to baby our equipment purchases. Especially if "it's your thing", as in something you particularly like and have an interest in.

I have to remind myself that I buy bags (and other tools) to use, not collect and hoard - it keeps me from wasting too much money on every little thing that catches my eye and end up never using.

twin63 and ManVsLawn like this.
  13. BuckeyeGTI

BuckeyeGTI Loaded Pockets

Sell some bags and keep shopping (for purposes of gathering plastic bags).

mole, JustinJ and ManVsLawn like this.
  14. Bedlam

Bedlam Loaded Pockets

This is exactly why I sold some of my 5.11's. At the time I bought them $100 was the most I'd ever spent on a bag and I couldn't justify using it anywhere it might get hurt dirty. Times change, I discover Goruck, Mystery Ranch, consider spending well over $300 to import one single bag into Aus. In the end, obviously my solution was to use the money from the sale of four bags to buy one bag.

Yep, that'll cure me, give me something MORE expensive and expect me to muck it up!

Pete3 and tmedina like this.
  15. TeeGeeZee

TeeGeeZee Loaded Pockets

All bar one of my 5.11/Maxpedition bags are 2nd hand off eBay. Mostly they are pretty close to mint condition, but knowing they aren't brand new makes me less anxious about taking them out and using them in the dirt.

16. Bedlam

Bedlam Loaded Pockets

Picked up a secondhand, but mint, Goruck a few days ago and I've found the same.. mentally I know it's not brand new so I'm less worried about 'ruining' it. And it almost makes me want to run my remaining Rush 12 in to the ground, just to see how much it can take now it's not my EDC bag.

Pete3 likes this.
  17. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

theurbanoutdoorsmen likes this.
  18. 1k2go

1k2go Loaded Pockets

Same issue. I have a GR1, GR2, a ton of GR pouches, a 5.11 Rush, a TAD FAST pack and a few others. I've used the Rush to carry my laptop to work and the GR1 to travel with. It's not that I don't want to use them. I'm just sad when they're all busted up. End of story.

Bedlam likes this.
  19. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I don't get it when it comes to bags; I use mine. My black Rush 12 gets used practically every single day. My multicam Rush 12 gets used every third day at work. The bags that are in my closet are because I no longer have the need I bought it for (and I'm too lazy to actually sell them) or the need is intermittent. I take care of my stuff, but the reason I like/bought my 5.11 bags is because they can handle anything I throw at them.

tmedina likes this.
  20. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

You have a specific need and use, which makes it very easy to grab and use. In fact, I suspect you bought your bags for the express purpose of using at work.

For those of us who don't have a clear and specific need tend to fall into the trap of not wanting to risk damaging our gear (bags, in this case) by accident or for some "lesser" reason. Which is admittedly weird. But then we spend even more money to buy a bag we don't mind using or "punishing" because if it gets damaged, cool.

Mind you, that's why we bought the first bag to begin with. I'm not claiming it's logical or rational, but I've seen it before. The silly urge to not risk expensive gear for the purpose it was intended. This is the kind of thinking that produces unintentional shelf queens.

Bedlam and GatorMedic like this.