1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Perception of knife carry changed

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by earthman, Feb 21, 2021.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

“Perception of knife carry” has has not largely “changed.” There has always been and will always be a certain segment of the human population that demonize the possession of an implement with a sharp edge.

That perception is exacerbated by the seemingly-diminished need to have an edged tool in modern societies. Our food is often pre-sliced so that a fork is all that is needed to consume our meals. Shipping envelopes have a pull-strip that opens it when removed. Cardboard shipping containers only require a very small portion of the blade of a safety box cutter to open them.

Fewer and fewer professions require the use of a sharp edge. The culinary industry uses the santuku-style knife without the sharp point.

It’s ridiculous that a permit to conceal-carry a loaded firearm can still be obtained but not for a knife.

Several years ago, I visited an office (it was in the UK) in which EVERYONE carried a loaded firearm. I was in the process of cutting my sandwich with my 2.5-inch folding knife when one of the residents politely asked me use the 8-inch kitchen knife sitting next to the sink in the break room instead.

2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

How many years ago are you talking? What type of business/office are you on about?.... This is very unusual for the UK, so much so, I'm guessing that you have made a mistake with the country.

jackknife likes this.
  3. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Yes, definitely applicable to COVID, and they’ve pretty much managed to take over the whole country with fear and propaganda

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

earthman likes this.
  4. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

I have concluded that part of the perception change has been contributed by the Hollywood-ification which seeks to popularize a certain image to make money. I am not and will never be Rambo, john Wick or any of a long list of celluloid creatures. I do now have to deal with the perception of a knife as more weapon than tool. I have been employed in a position where I was not permitted to carry a pocketknife because it might be a weapon. I don’t have an answer, other than I continue to carry respectfully and explaining to those who ask why I carry a useful tool.

jackknife likes this.
  5. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I too am very interested in when and where this occurred. I was in the U.K. in the late 1980's and again in the 1990's. A third trip in 2007, was for a vacation on a rented narrow boat. Each time I visited, there seemed to be an even more anti-weapon mentality. Firearms in the U.K.? A very very highly regulated thing. An office of firearm carrying people has to be a police station of armed response constables or a terrorist group. Not a heck of a lot of firearm carry in the U. K.

So, when and where was this?

earthman likes this.
  6. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

Maybe it's time for the Queen to allow concealed carry of a firearm. That'll stop it real quick.

dmattaponi likes this.
  7. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

About 7% of homicides in England and Wales are by firearm, 46% are by "sharp instrument."

About 84% of homicides in the US are by firearm, 14% by a sharp instrument.

The homicide rate in the US is about 4.7 times that of the England and Wales.

About 5 homicides per million people in the US each year by sharp instrument. About 3.3 homicides per million people in the UK by sharp instrument.

We are just a bit more accustomed to a good ol' shooting or a stabbing death in the US.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

8. dmattaponi

#28 dmattaponi, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    medic68 likes this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Lol, the Queen will never do that I'm sure. I'm not anti gun at all but I'm not sure if that would even work out well for us anyhow,....we do have more than our fair share of crazy people too, that's the problem whatever the country, how do you stop such people from using a gun or knife in the first place??

jackknife likes this.
  10. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

The actual numbers show that the crime in US cities is about twice that of rural areas and far from nonexistent.

You have jumped to a conclusion that has eluded social scientists for nearly 200 years.

The data consistently indicates that the US is a violent and dangerous developed country -- but we're accustomed to it.

Why Is There More Crime in Cities?

Crime rates are much higher in big cities than in either small cities or rural areas, and this situation has been relatively pervasive for several centuries. This paper attempts to explain this connection by using victimization data, evidence from the NLSY on criminal behavior and the Uniform Crime Reports. Higher pecuniary benefits for crime in large cities can explain approximately 27% of the effect for overall crime, though obviously much less of the urban- crime connection for non-pecuniary crimes such as rape or assault. Lower arrest probabilities, and lower probability of recognition, are a feature of urban life, but these factors seem to explain at most 20% of the urban crime effect. The remaining 45-60% of the effect can be related to observable characteristics of individuals and cities. The characteristics that seem most important are those that reflect tastes, social influences and family structure. Ultimately, we can say that the urban crime premium is associated with these characteristics, but we are left trying to explain why these characteristics are connected with urban living.

https://ideas.repec.org/p/nbr/nberwo/5430.html

[​IMG]

#30 adnj, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  11. dmattaponi

That’s just it...social scientists will manipulate data to support their preconceived conclusions, and affect the desired outcome. The idea of a researcher/scientist as someone who comes to conclusions based solely on objective reasoning, and honest unfiltered data is a falsehood. It would be laughable, if it weren’t for the damage done.

12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Good point, this covid situation is a prime example of that, all the scientists who are stating the same narrative have funds/links back to Bill Gates who is pushing this Great Reset thing, whilst any of the Barrington doctors etc who are raising questions/doubts are not getting air time on the TV/main media.

dmattaponi likes this.
  13. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

The source of the data is the FBI. Crime in rural areas has stood at about half that of urban areas since records were tabulated in the 1940s.

There is no point presenting facts here because you have reached a conclusion and require rationalization.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/ovc_archives/ncvrw/2017/images/en_artwork/Fact_Sheets/2017NCVRW_UrbanRural_508.pdf&ved

ThaMac and echo victor like this.
  14. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

You can't.

That is the simple ugly truth, that no law, ordnance or weapons ban is going to stop some wacko from getting one and using. You can ban a knife all to hell, but look at the knife crime in Merry Old England!

If everyone carried, then you'd have an armed populace that could act to stop a crime way way before any police can respond to the scene. Mass shootings? Shoot back at the shooter. It works. The last two shootings we had here in Teas was stopped by armed civilians, NOT the police. By the time the cops got there, it was all over. The one guy shooting up a church was stopped by a neighbor seeing what was happening, opened fire at the shooter with his own AR15. The mass shooter than fled and was chased down. The second would be church shooter got of just two rounds, and was killed by the first of 7 church goers that were pulling guns to shoot back.

Fact of life; cops can't be everywhere No matter what the government tells you, it can't be everywhere to protect you. Only an armed free people can protect themselves! Thats why when I dress in the morning and my pants go on, my gun goes on with them. If I'm in some Walmart and someone opens fire, the second thing I do after hitting the floor, is too ee if I have a clear shot at the shooter. If there are other armed citizens in the store, it may well be all over by the time the cops get there.

An armed society is not only a polite society, but a much safer one.

dmattaponi likes this.
  15. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Where I live, only a few criminals carry guns. Very, very few. There lately was a terrorist attack, right. Else, the criminals keep things to themselves. So, yeah, I prefer that.

Firearm related death rate:
    Austria 2.9 deaths per 100k people per year, homicide rate 0.12
    USA 12.21 deaths per 100 k people per year, homicide rate 4.46

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country

Austria est imperare orbi universo

16. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

The Bill agates conspiracy theory? That’s a very US centered picture of global politics. Don’t you think that in other countries things are different? There are countries where Bill Gates pays off no one. The pandemic is the same there. So yeah, naw.

Austria est imperare orbi universo

17. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I live in the UK and been on more military establishments than I can remember but never been in a room full of people carrying firearms. Airport police breakroom at a push? Its the only situation I can think of.

18. dmattaponi

Haha...After reading yours and ThaMacs comments, I'm reminded of the saying, "It it weren't for double standards, you'd have no standards at all".

adnj, I hate to break it to you, but humankind is violent and dangerous, regardless of country of origin...and just as a gun/knife can be used wrongfully by the violent and dangerous, it can also be used to preserve life from violent and dangerous people. As has been noted here, removing guns/knives doesn't make humans any less prone to violence, they just find a different means (and I for one, prefer not to live in a police state). Law abiding gun owners can and should have the human right of self-preservation. If you don't want that right, well, you can choose otherwise (just don't destroy the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights in the process of making your own personal choice).

Last edited by dmattaponi, Feb 25, 2021
    #38 dmattaponi, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    jackknife and adnj like this.
  19. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Here's the point that you are missing. I grew up in a US city with one of the highest crime rates in the world. I went to graduate school in a city with one of the lowest. I spent my summers hunting on my family's farms in three different states, corn, cotton and cattle. I was a national shooter at 16 and hunted with my father since I was 10. I was an NRA member at 12. I have lived in multiple countries. I have served my country. And there is no way that you are going to convince me that the US is not one of the most violent countries that I know of, that the US is not the most violent Anglophone country that I know of, or that there is no violent crime in rural areas.

In my experience, nearly every violent crime that I have witnessed in a rural area was a situation where the the assailant actually knew the perpetrator.

Let's not try to take the moral high ground here. We Americans are considered a$$holes all around the world -- pretending that a gun solves the problem is bull$hit. That dog just don't hunt.

echo victor likes this.
  20. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

Can you post a link to the original video?