1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Perception of knife carry changed

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by earthman, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Here's a very interesting video I feel, he's mainly talking about London/UK here but it got me thinking, is there a country in the world that this doesn't apply to now?
    If you can identify with this in the country/area where you live, what are the reasons for the change would you say??

aicolainen, Montetobuso and Jay-uk like this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am no expert sociologist or anything but I bet this is related to the unplugging of anything that uses electricity at any time all of the time to save the planet.

Know what I mean?

There,no name calling!

3. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'm not sure what you mean, global warming you are on about, how is that connected to folks thinking on knives then??

4. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

There was an increase in fatal stabbings in the UK. It's a "no one needs a locked door until the first burglary" kind of thing.

Knife crime: Fatal stabbings at highest level since records began in 1946

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-47156957

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I dont know how to make it more clear and not chance offending younger folks or groups sharing similar ideas about what is and is not appropriate in life these days in general honestly.

I think many these days think that carrying knives or not doing certain things they consider crucial to saving the environment go hand in hand with what we should all feel are appropriate ways to act these days and social norms are trying to gravitate to many of these changes and often i think these are entirely misunderstood in the first place despite good intentions probably.

I have a friend who will unplug everything anywhere that she sees has a light glowing at any time. She means well and is sure this is a Planet Saving habit and mission that she is on.
    To me this seems so crazy that it is hard to even talk to her about it seriously and she is so sure that she is right that she does not hear me anyway.
    I know that she is sincere too but just not hearing what is really the science about the issue but she is sure that she is and that there is no room for interpretation so......

Bad InfoIn=Bad Info Out

Sorry if I am still not clear enough for you but this is on the edge of getting political maybe and I am just not going to go there.

6. MORT

MORT Loaded Pockets

Wussification of the world!

7. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Still, nope.
    Those are two different things. See, I am switching lights off wherever I go and so on and so forth. But then I carry my folders. The general idea of “this is the same class of people” is simply your perception but not necessarily correct.
    Trying to influence behavior to help saving the environment has nothing to do with the (agreed) wussification of our culture. What if we would make this planet better, or role back what we did to this planet during the beginning of the industrial revolution, and there was no immediate danger? Where is the harm?
    Leaving politics out of environmental precautions would not be wrong. Leave your political agenda out the door for this one.

Austria est imperare orbi universo

EDCritter likes this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah I am not even remotely referring to switching lights off and on here.
    I am talking about unplugging every single device at all times that is not in use right then.
    Lots of things need to stay powered whether in use or not,thats what I am talking about but you are sure right that it is in my perception,everything is only from our own point of view at best.
    Crazy!

9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

It doesn’t matter the details. If you wanna plug s*it out, plug it out. This doesn’t change the fact that you make those things political. They are not. The world knows that the US is in disarray and the world knows why. But there is more in life and politics than just two sides and stubborn standpoints, no offense.
    A lot of political parties and citizens in other countries understood, that trying to ‘safe the planet” is a goal that’s beyond political interests. The tools and ideas about it might be different, but the goal is the same for everyone. Trying to attach this to a weird and overly cautious knife policy in GB is more than far-fetched.

Austria est imperare orbi universo

EDCritter likes this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ok like I said I am at a loss to explain myself clearly here but the knife thing seems like some political correctness to me,thats all.

I am done here.

MatBlack likes this.
  11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I myself am pretty 'old school' and prefer analogue electrical items over stuff that needs to be left on standby, I turn off as much as possible, WiFi router for example is only on when we are actually using the PC, apart from the small risk of fire, it adds to the electrical bill over the course of a year, all those nights and hours we spend at work for example.
    I still carry/use knives responsibly though so I really can't see the point/connection you are making here??
    You can attach or make anything 'political' in this world nowadays,.... just make your point tactfully as you can, no matter what you say it's almost impossible not to offend someone nowadays so quit worrying about it I say.

12. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Even though in the US, I can relate. I was given my first pocket knife at 8 and have carried one every since. It was common for people to carry knives all the time. Now, many people act like it is absurd to carry a knife.

I think it has a lot to do with the habit of not holding people responsible for their actions. Instead, it is the tool or environment at fault when someone does something bad. People using a knife for bad so knives must be bad and we need to get rid of them. Then because you can’t single out “individuals” for being criminals or irresponsible, no one in society should be able to have it because they would all be irresponsible.

Here is what I think is a good example of what I mean and the absurdity of some. I had a Sailor working for me that stabbed another Sailor. The stabbing was in self-defense to stop a attack from another Sailor, who was already awaiting removal from the ship to be processed out of the Navy for other incidents. In response, a couple Chiefs wanted to get the ship to identify which jobs specifically required knives and prohibit them when not required. Thankfully the Captain didn’t agree. I had one of the Chiefs tell me, as a good leadership example, I should stop carrying my knife because I didn’t really need it for my job. That didn’t happen either.

13. tera tike

tera tike Loaded Pockets

Growing up in a small town pocket knives was a normal item for a person to carry. A businessman would use a knife to open mail or eat fruit during his daily routine. A grocery worker would use one to open a box cut string. An old lady who lived next door to me always had a knife, I would see her eating fruit with it, cutting yarn, and pruning her garden. For me as a child I used a knife to whittling wood, cut cardboard into shapes to play with or trim the plastic from models I made.

That was then, when knives were seen as tools. Then came the ninja catalogs, where one could get a fancy fighting knife, that looked cool and scary. Marketing and media changed the perception about knives from an everyday tool to a weapon that only bad guys would carry.

Also there is the difference of where one lives, small town or big city. In a small town people are more self supportive in getting things done. Wages are lower, cost of living is lower, which you MacGyver more. In a large city/metropolitan there are higher wages, more restrictions and (was) a store where one could buy a cheap replacement rather than fixing whatever broke. The other main difference I see in big cities is the crime and disconnection from people, most do not even know their neighbor. Most live in fear, need to carry various weapons for protection, lock everything up, and so on. The big cities then lead/set the rules for everyone else including the small towns.

Have you ever noticed when pocket clips on knives came out everyone would just clip their knife to the pocket and no one would question seeing the clip. Now everyone clips the knife in a pocket organizer so no one sees the clip. Look at how the perception of the pen has changed, from a fancy writing tool to a tactical tool that contain various gadgets in it. Even the credit card has gone from a fluent person payment tool to a tactical metal cutting instrument. Yes, I am stretching it, but that is exactly the people who are against something do. Anything can be made good or evil, it just how the story is told, perception...

Each one of us has an immediate impact on what or who is around us. When a person, community, culture, religion, race, sex or government feels threatened then one’s persona becomes more noticeable by others. We are in a time when others' perception of your persona has become a target. We don’t like to be dictated by others for what should be allowed to be carried, but this is the new norm. Remember perception is and will be based on what others visibly see you wear, walk, talk, interact, personal grooming style and skin color. Most people value freedom when it benefits them directly, but expects the government to provide them security from others indirectly, which always sacrifices their own freedom in the end.

This is my opinion, thoughts and perception (pun intended) on how I understand things.

14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Good points you made there, the lack of placing responsibility on a person rather than the object is a good one I feel, you may have hit the nail on the head there. A big thumbs up to that captain, if only everyone were that sensible/had a rational train of thought.

SOS24 likes this.
  15. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

And THAT is the winner!!!!!

The cutlery industry has one to to themselves, much as the gun industry has. I was a kid in the era that everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, had a knife in the pocket. But it was always a little one or two blade slip joint pen knife or small jackknife. Maybe about 3 inches closed. And I was a city kid in Washington D.C. in a very urban environment. Yes, there were other knives, but they were either the switchblades/stilettos carried by the James Dean wannabe punks. It was in the 1950's, and a knife other than the typical little pocket knife was seen as a punks weapon. Nomatter in school church anywhere, nobody reacted to taking out a pocketknife and sharpening a pencil or eating an apple.

Then the great migration to the city for better paying jobs, and more laws because of increased population, and a lot of people just stoped carrying a knife. In the typical office, you really didn't need one. U.S. knife compares that thrived during WW2, all went broke in the new environment of the American Suburbia. Teachers started to get down on knives in the classroom. Kinfolks, Pal, Utica, Imperial, Hammer Brand, and even Schrade and Camillus all went belly up. The so called 'normal" pocket knife was going extinct for lack of need.

That situation was changed by one man with the skills to create a whole new market with a wholeness perceived need for a knife; the tactical knife for defense. Lynn Thompson and the Tanto and new companies like Spyderco, Benchmade, and others with cool looking knives that cold opened with one hand as fast as the old switchblades, and designed as weapons. The punks knife has grown up. It was a good con, and it worked to revive a whole industry. The new makes also mad use of product placement in movies and TV shows. It became 'cool' to have a knife used by a Hollywood hero, or villian. Look at the balisong craze of the 80's, with very would be so called 'cool' or 'bad :censored: flipping around a Bali. It got so bad with assaults and amount of crime that the Bali's were just banned like the old switchblades. The new "bad :censored: tactical knives became the new standard for what used to called the drug store cowboy. The poser tough guy. Instead of leather jackets and pegged pants, it became army surplus cothing then the black tactical everything. Black 5-11 pants, black combat boots, tactical jacket and whatever knife is reported to be able to pry open a Russian tank hatch or take out enemy sentries. Just run down to the store for a quart of milk. With the sole exception of a silly show like Macguver, the new knife was the tv show and movie prop of the bad guy. Or the cool bad guy.

So, now 25-30 years later, the public perception of the knife is a weapon of the tv tough guy. The knife manufactures and the knife consumer has to share the blame. Young punks at the mall flashing their edged status symbol trying to be cool as the guy on tv have been to outright dumb to realize that they are just hurting themselves. I've actually seen some young idiot take out his knife in a flamboyant wave, flick the blade out with a loud ca-chunk, to slit open a bag of potato chips. Sheer showing off the fellow punks and scaring little old ladies. Funny, except when one of those little old ladies has a son/nephew that is a congressmen or senator and he hears how punks with knives scared his mom/aunt. Then they wonder how their favorite toy/manhood symbol get outlawed.

The knife industry and consumer need to take a hard look at themselves in a mirror.

tera tike, parnass and echo victor like this.
  16. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I think sometimes what is missed is that 90 percent of stabbings are done with kitchen knives in a fit of passion because they are accessible. Responsible people aren’t using their CRK’s in home stabbings. I’ve seen the evidence rooms in a police station and they’re not full of M4 and s35v seizures.

Last edited by twoisone, Mar 2, 2021
    #16 twoisone, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    earthman likes this.
  17. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

So true about individual responsibilities, far to easy for law makers to use blanket cover.

18. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

It just shows people are more concerned about optics (scary factor) than reality. The crime and violence statistics are being used as the justification, but the real reason is the perception that is perpetuated similar to what @jackknife mentions.

Similar to with guns, the focus is usually more on the characteristics that make the gun or knife appear/look/seem scary and bad. Whether or not outlawing what is “perceived” as bad would/does have a positive impact on crime or violence is not as important as the fact that people “think” that something is being done to protect them.

19. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Interesting...a political statement if I ever saw one. Funny how that works. If you disagree it’s politics, but if it’s your own opinion, then it’s just the facts. Lol

People have been dumbed down. They think big gov should dictate their lives and take care of them, just as long as the gov sells them the idea with enough fear and propaganda. For the law abiding, a pocket knife is a tool, like any other tool.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#19 dmattaponi, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    nosuchagency likes this.
  20. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Wow, that's so applicable in today's 'covid' situation, so many folk believing that the government are looking after us here. Lol

dmattaponi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.