1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pepper Spray

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by MrReady, Feb 2, 2010.

1. MrReady

MrReady Empty Pockets

I just got some Pepper Spray for my wife and I was wondering if anyone here has actually used it on someone or themselves.
    I assume it would work effectively on most people but just wanted to see what kind of experiences people had with this stuff.
    Thanks for any input and I hope this hasn't been asked before, I usually stay in the Gun or EDC bag catogories.

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Which type did you get her? Most of the stuff sold on the civilian market is watered down junk.

3. MrReady

MrReady Empty Pockets

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Link doesn't work. :shrug:

5. ryball

ryball Empty Pockets

I carry this - http://www.pepperblaster.com/

It's pyro driven so you don't have to worry about it losing pressure or bursting in a hot car.

It is 10% OC gel so you don't have to worry as much about blowback or drifting due to wind.

6. redhawk44357

redhawk44357 Loaded Pockets

that is kimber made?? from what i have read the kimber model seems to be the better design. i just ordered the pepperblast 2. has a pistol grip and rudimentry sights. been using mace, but not any more.

7. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I've heard that Wasp spray works good to,with a longer reach. Haven'T tried it so am not positive, any one tried it?

8. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

Using the spray multiple times back when I was bouncing for extra money, and getting hit with it a couple of times myself, I can attest that OC spray feels like Satan peeing in your eyeballs. Those that got hit with it definitely didn't like getting hit with it. As to actual incapacitation, it depended on the situation. There was always at least a serious degradation of eyesight due to watering/pain, and usually people that got hit stopped whatever they were doing to claw at their face.

There were a few, though, that were able to function after getting hit. Intoxication, and usually a general cussedness had something to do with it. Don't ever plan on OC being an instant problem solver.

9. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I've been pepper sprayed at my Explorer Academy last February. I can say that it SUCKS. I couldn't open my eyes at all.

10. celler

celler Loaded Pockets

Wasp spray is exremely nasty stuff that can permanently blind your adversary, leave permanent injuries, or even kill. It should NEVER be used as a substitute for pepper spray which falls low on the force continuum. It should only be used in a situation where lethal or near lethal force is mandated.

11. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks for the information, did'nt know about how bad it was! Will stay away from that stuff!!

12. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

Everyone has different tolerance levels. When I went through a nonlethal weapons course, out of about 100 participants there were a few who spray had little effect (in terms of incapacitation, it's unplesant but, my radio operator even volunteered to get sprayed again for a demo) & there were a few at the other end who were put out of action for hours. The other key take away is that everyone was able to be trained how to fight through getting sprayed. Lesson learned there is; it's a softening technique or a diversion. If you spray someone you have to be ready to either immediately attack or run. Second lesson learned is if you get sprayed, deliberately or blowback, keep fighting.

13. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

When my pepper spray nears expiration, I plan to use it on myself. I've just gotta find someone willing to spray me. Yes Im crazy.

14. tglassburner

tglassburner Loaded Pockets

I have been sprayed wit oc/cs spray. Worst experience of my life.

15. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

:evilgrin:
    Hope you like burning eyes and a lot of snot coming from your nose plus your skin on fire feelling !!!!!!!! You will regret it!!!! So go ahead!

16. Bigreno

Bigreno Loaded Pockets

Both. I've sprayed people and had to be sprayed myself in training. Let me say that I would rather have someone beat me unconscious than get sprayed again. I seem to be more sensitive to it than most and wouldn't think twice about putting a bullet in someone coming at me with that stuff.

Additionally, if you do get sprayed, exercise EXTREME CAUTION when you try to shower it off. It will undoubtedly find it's way to your nether regions and bring on an all new kind of burn.

17. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Also, if you use it on someone there's a very good possibility of a bit of "blowback" (for lack of a better word) coming your way: figure that you'll learn what a "booger rope" is as a result of the experience.

18. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

I've been using OC since 1989, I've used it dozens if not hundreds on times on the street, I've been sprayed batter than 50 times in training myself, and I've sprayed hundreds of folks in basic and instructor level classes.

OC is a very good tool to have available, but training helps make the most of it.

19. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

:censored:, I know plenty of people who would like the chance to shoot me with pepper spray without getting into trouble...

20. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

I had to use it once in EMS. On a pretty angry German Shepherd who didn't like us sticking big needles into his mistress and somehow misinterpreted the situation (in all fairness, I don't expect a dog to understand the difference between fighting back and having a seizure). It turned the big bad wolf into a sobbing puppy. I almost feeled sorry for the poor little bundle of misery. Meh, better him than me.

One caveat, though: If you can't rule out the possibility of having to use your OC in a closed room, GET FRIGGIN PEPPER GEL OR FOAM! Seriously, backspray and cross-contamination aren't fun. I cried.

ETA: said pepper spray used by me was a 2 Mio SHU one, labeled as "animal repellent", and boy it did its job.
    also, hitting a dog in the nose seems to be more effective than targeting the eyes