1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pepper Spray Neutralizers

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by ?uesto, Sep 1, 2020.

1. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I carry pepper spray most of the time and just realized the can I currently EDC expired in June. My plan was to spray myself with it before it expired just to see what it was like and then to test a neutralizing agent that I’d also start to keep in my FAKs.

I feel like I should see what pepper spray is like in case I’m ever hit with it and then as a real world training exercise in applying a neutralizer.

So I actually have 2 main questions:
    1. Is expired pepper spray dangerous or just less potent and would anyone recommend AGAINST spraying myself for the stated purpose?
    2. Are there neutralizers anyone has experience with and recommends?

Thanks in advance-

2. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Darwin award winner here folks

Tesla, lnytunes and That Movie Guy like this.
  3. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Super helpful! Last I checked, pepper spray isn't lethal or likely to otherwise remove me from the gene pool, but if I'm wrong, some first-hand experience or scientific data or other helpful feedback would probably serve this community better.

Fishin Fool and karlito like this.
  4. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

A quick search:

https://www.pepper-spray-store.com/pages/antitdote

What happens if you use expired pepper spray?
    If you own a pepper spray and don't know the expiration date, it's important to go find out. ... The active ingredient in pepper mace begins to breakdown after the stated expiration date. This means it loses potency over time, so if you use the pepper spray after the stated date it may no longer be effective.

Pepper spray is known as a “nonlethal weapon,” or a weapon that cannot kill people. However, deaths have occurred following the use of pepper spray. ... “Pepper spray inhalation alone does not pose a significant risk for respiratory compromise or asphyxiation, even when combined with positional restraint.”

?uesto likes this.
  5. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

Just make sure someone makes a video and post the results here.

The only neutralizers are water and time. Flush the contaminated areas and let it air dry,

6. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

It is not worth the pain! I have been sprayed 2 times both for courses I was taking, DSRacing is right, WATER AND TIME

7. jbj

jbj Loaded Pockets

Remember to wear gloves when you are washing so you don’t spread it to your hands and then touch other parts of your body (put the gloves on first).

Don’t shower it off. It’ll just run down the front of you.

OC is an oil, so anything that can help break the adhesion from the skin of helpful to stop continued irritation.

My buddy did it as part of his academy training years ago - he said he was proud of himself that he was the only one in the class that didn’t throw up from coughing so hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I’ve felt tear gas a few times. It hurt and I’m sure this will too, but I want to experience it first hand in a controlled environment so I can be prepared to deal with it if it happens in the real world and I’m actually in danger.

Yeah, pretty much all the same tips as with dealing with the aftermath of tear gas. My understand is that tear gas gas some solid crystals that stick to you, so I wasn’t sure about the science in terms of neutralizing it. Thanks for all this though!

9. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Two tips from someone that has used pepper spray for years:

1. If you wear contacts remove them before your experiment because if the micro pulverized powder gets under them that will definitely ‘smart’.

2. Best decontamination I’ve found is a simple water and baby shampoo combination. The shampoo acts as a surfactant to help dissipate the oiliness that’s makes the pepper spray adhere to the skin.

10. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

sour creme..