1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pepper Spray... last night save my life....

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by kowboy, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Inspector

Inspector Empty Pockets

I think the example given in the OP is a good one, I am glad the OP was able to evade any harm coming to him.

2. SharpScott

SharpScott Loaded Pockets

I have to add in here, I agree with Inspector to a degree. If you carry self-defence spray; you have a feeling that it'll save you from harm in every eventuality. Here in the UK, I share the feeling that the legalisation of SD spray's would escalate the problem rather than reduce it. For one a lot of violent crime is committed by people under the influence. Which, as research shows, SD sprays are less effective with.

People look down on our laws of SD, and without turning this into a debate of common law doctrines on SD - They work. Sure there's been some really high profile examples of apparent injustice, but when you actually pull up case notes from them, they make interesting reading.

There's times I've been in place where CS or a firearm would have made me feel more comfortable but as stated above, this was probably more to satisfy my personal insecurity at the time than any actual threat against me. I'm happy with the way SD laws seem to be working over here at this moment in time. Sure, it might be nice to be able to CC a pistol at times BUT as well as me carrying, there's going to be other people carrying. Then a whole world of complicated decision making the takes place over a split second means that people will die because of it. I'm not entirely happy with the thought that someone doing the wrong thing at the wrong time could mean a less informed individual killing them. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not against the bearing of arms, I'm pro gun and I'm pro SD. But Firearms just aren't required on mainland Britain for protection. Use Northern Ireland as a case study to a place that CCPistols were allowed and why they've started to stop issuing permits out there.

Essentially I'd rather be hit by a fist than a 9mm.

In this scenario, the SD spray fulfilled it's purpose, no one else was harmed and all was well. I support it's use in this way where the situations require it.

Scott.

3. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I get PMs/DMs/emails constantly about wasp spray for self-defense and this thread is almost always referenced - due to the global reach of EDCF.

Although this myth has been debunked over and over again, it wasn't until the last year or so that we actually had video proof to show that it is simply doesn't work on humans. (Not to mention the whole violation of federal law thing.)

Hopefully, these clips will help put this myth to bed once and for all.