1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pepper Spray... last night save my life....

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by kowboy, Apr 20, 2010.

1. kowboy

kowboy Loaded Pockets

Hello to all,
    My name is Diego, and I'm from Argentina. Here the laws regarding the carrying of arms are very strict, in fact, it is almost impossible to carry a gun. Carrying knives is something not allowed. So I had to choose a non-lethal option permitted by local laws. Thus, a while ago, I decided to shared a pepper spray ... Yesterday I suffered an attempted robbery rather dangerous. I feel saved my life and I owe part of this powerful spray. This is what happened to me:

Last night i was way back home from my university, I took the train and i was enjoying the trip reading a new book... 10 minutes before the train stop in the station (where i go out) a men sits in the right place, next to me. He start to ask me for money... I said: No, i don't have... He continues ask me for money and begins to speak more rudely. I keep saying than i don't have money... But he didn't stop.... The thing was starting to getting bad... He start to threatening me... I sit up and walk to the door (the train was entering the station), He stands up, walk closer me and start to threatening me ,but more aggressively. He say: My friends will come from the next wagon and we gonna beat you.. I start to feeling afraid. I say again than i don't have money... And he say than he's got a gun, and he doesn't have anything to loose, so i search in my pocket and gave him 1.5 $ (I don't have more money in that moment...) He keeps threatening me... and he say: when we go out you will know the evil... In that moment i was really really afraid... Then the the train stops, he walks closer to the door, i take the chances and go to another door... and left the train... but he also go down.. he walks closer to me and i that moment i took my pepper spray from my pocket and sprayed him in the face.... Lucky it was a accurate shot... he covers his face and i start to running as fastest i can, away from that situation... I feel than i save my life and my things..

Besides that.. i think than it was the best way to avoid the situation, having a gun or a knife would have made things worse.In this case the nonletal option works great. Also having a hand to hand combat would have made things even worse (I have more than 4 years of training in boxing). Don't misunderstand me... I'm not against carrying guns or knives, just in this situation would have been worse ...

Thanks,

Diego

Fan-Rang 173 likes this.
  2. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

happy to hear you got out without injuries. and yes. a gun in that situation would of been an simply too much. non lethal defense "weapon" was sufficient.. you got out unharmed and badguy got little hurt :)

question: did you see if he actually had friends in the next wagon?

my guess: nope. he was alone and tried to make you more scared by threatening with them. (as you insisted not giving HIM the money he tried to make you fear him more by making up friends who would make you give THEM the money. if he would of had friends near by, they would of stepped out of the train also as you did.

3. kowboy

kowboy Loaded Pockets

Nope, i donĀ“t know if he actually had friends around. BUT, i use that train every day since 2005 and i saw similar situations, and always there are more than one. In that moment i was really really afraid, so i didn't want to take risk..

4. mosashi

mosashi Empty Pockets

i do agree that showing another gun or knife will probably make things worst and complicated. thou the place that i'm in now are relative safer compared to most part of US. low crime doesnt mean no crime .. having some means of defense and protection is still required. you will never know when such a situation will happen to you.

was approached on a few occasion by some middle aged fellow with tattoos flashing asking for money but was lucky that they werent as persistence as the one you met.

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Happy to hear everything worked out.

It is always best to have plenty of self-defense options. Many folks who carry a gun, also carry other items too. Including knives, kubatons, and pepper-spray.

6. happygypsy

happygypsy Loaded Pockets

Where I live even pepper spray is illegal, but since I value my life and safety a little more than following rules to the letter I am trying to find a way to purchase some.
    I'm glad it worked out well for you Diego!

7. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

If carrying a knife were legal for you then I don't think using that option would have been too much. You even said several times that you feared for your life/safety and he already told you his intentions to hurt you. Of course, I'm applying American laws to your situation. There is another similar post where a knife was used successfully.

I'm just glad the spray worked and you were able to keep your cool to insure a safe outcome. It's a great option considering your laws.

8. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

glad you got out safely, next time, don't give him a penny.
    i don't care how hungry the stray dogs are, don't feed them a morsel.

9. kowboy

kowboy Loaded Pockets

Thanks to all for the replies...
    Probably you didn't know the how bad it's the crime problem here. In Argentina the thing is getting pretty bad. It's something really common to hear about a cop kill a thief (armed) in a crime situation,and then the cop go to jail or have huge problems for this. Some times it seems to the laws protect the criminals and not the victims. But... in a life threatening situation, i'm 100% pro to use the hardest force to save my life or my family life...

10. ssmtbracer
    • +1 Supporter

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Glad to hear your safe and pepper spray saved you. IMO if the situation warrants a fist fight it warrants OC.

11. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

Good for you brother! I'm of the opinion that self defense is a HUMAN RIGHT.

Fan-Rang 173 likes this.
  12. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Wow. That's disheartening to hear.

Glad you're safe Kowboy!
    Go get yourself another can of spray (maybe two so you can practice).

13. kowboy

kowboy Loaded Pockets

That's a good idea .. And now probably will need a new one, really do not know how much liquid is left...

14. oakchas

oakchas Loaded Pockets

Glad it all worked out... In our state we are not allowed to use deadly force to protect property (the exception being our residence, whether we rent, or own, and including a hotel room or parked RV).

After a recent mugging of a co-worker walking on his way home after work.. we all comisserated about what the best approach might be. I have started carrying a money clip with a few ones folded up into it... If I were approached on the street, and was feeling threatened.. without visible deadly force brough to bear against me... I would toss the clip to the ground away from me.

This gives me time... time to assess any further threat... to get away... to draw a weapon of my own, if needed.... (I have my CCW permit).

Things are not worth risking a life for... life is too precious to risk for things... but life is too precious to allow it to be put at risk without defense.

15. matthammer

matthammer Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear no one innocent got hurt. Word of warning, though. If you take that train every day, you better be real careful that you don't bump into the same guy again. Odds are he was just all talk... but I'd keep an eye out.

16. turan tactical

turan tactical Loaded Pockets

One of the important point of carrying pepper sprays is that, they are made of some sort of chemicals and the product solution thus have a expiration date. Two years ago, I had a case while I was passing through garden of a complex. A guy, about 2 or 3 years younger than me insulted and tried to run into trouble with me. I stop walking, turned back and looked him and see he is walking towards me. I put my hands into my pocket, where I got a Nato brand pepper spray. I waited him to get closer and grab it. I sprayed and he run back into a small cabin in the complex, I emptied the can of gas into that cabine and closed the door. I was thinking of his fainting after that sum of gas on the face and in cabin. But guess what happened, only after a second he kicked the door and get out of the cabin with an axe in the hand. I stepped back and grap by steel collapsible baton and block him, and had the chance to hit him to disable mobility. After people took us away, I understand that it must be out of date, or that man is a CS gas addict :D
    Since that day I still carry CS cans but I have been having doubt on it.

17. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

Turan Tactical, while they do have an expiration date, this is mainly for the propellant (I can only speak to OC & not CS mace although I imagine it's similar). Obviously, the "freshness" & condition of the container is a great point & should still be checked. My point is that anyone using OC needs to be aware that everyone has different tolerance levels. When I went through a nonlethal weapons course, out of about 100 students there were a few who spray had virtually no effect (my radio operator even volunteered to get sprayed again for a demo) & there were a few at the other end who were put out of action for hours. The other key take away is that everyone was able to be trained how to fight through getting sprayed. Lesson learned there is; if you spray someone you either have to immediately attack or run.

18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

kowboy,

Glad you're OK and everything worked out for you. That situation sounds like it could have been bad. Is there anyone in your neighborhood who also attends the university? Perhaps you could arrange to travel with them of an evening, if possible. I was a university student, though, and realize that sometimes you just end up keeping odd hours.

I fear I would be in that latter group, I have to leave the room when my wife is cutting onions...

19. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

it certainly seems tht this scenario is a growing trend that only facilitates crime more.

in regards to how to deal with a legitmate threat and self-defense, I live by this saying:
    I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six. In other words, I'd rather be taken through the legal process than my funeral.

Glad you made it through alright.

20. twinboysdad

twinboysdad Loaded Pockets

do you think hand to hand was an option? a pre-emptive eye gouge? anytime you get this and make it home, good for you. better than being a victim.